Reacty Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

RaptorEmperor

Reacty Design

Post by RaptorEmperor » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:03 am

I've seen the little Reacty character that someone designed for the installation menu. No insult to the original designers, but I figured I would attempt to make it a bit more streamlined. Linux has a penguin, FreeBSD has the daemon, and I think Reacty has potential.

I'm an IS major, not an art major, but I don't know how to write kernel code so maybe I could at least attempt to help with a bit of artwork.

I wanted to keep the basic concept but refine it and add a little spunk to it.

I've had the design in my head for a few months now but I only spent a few minutes drawing it on paper with a No. 2 pencil. If anybody thinks it's worth anything I can try to make a cleaner image of it, since the current image is drawn in pencil and the feet aren't quite in proportion. (Time to learn GIMP!) If anybody wants me to try something else with the design I'm good for input too.

I'm 100% not sure how the admins think about mascot stuff, so if such discussions aren't considered relevant to the project I apologize for the distraction. I've been keeping tabs on ReactOS since at least the .2.X releases, but I'm just starting to get chatty on these forums. (I think I found out around .1.9 or so, but I can't remember to be certain.)

Thanks for any input!

betaluva

Post by betaluva » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm

i dont think anyone has much time or care for mascots, i suppose you could improve the desgn and see what they say?

SdC

Post by SdC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 pm

I respect and applaud any outburst of creativity. However, I don't think reactOS needs a mascot, I think many people want to keep it as "clean" as possible (IT-cartoons are sooo 1985). And it looks a bit too much like an M&M (http://us.mms.com/us/wallpapers/images/ ... 24x768.jpg) or a Mr Potato-head.

<<< my personal opinion does not reflect the ReactOS team

yo5bdm

Post by yo5bdm » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 pm

I would like to help to design a mascot, if it's needed. I'm new to this site, i've been testing ReactOS a bit, and can't wait for the Beta version. Meanwhile i'm using Linux. I want to help with my knoledge in PhotoShop and GIMP for what ReactOS needs.

dreams

Post by dreams » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:33 pm

A nice SVG version of the mascot would be neat, for promotional purposes, and for icons and other stuff in ReactOS itself. For example it could be used in welcome.exe. All stuff to promote ReactOS and to make it better known to more people is welcome. But it has to look really good!

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm

I don't mind reacty, although last time I saw it brought up ther were lots of reacty hate posts. I want to see it as an actual real office assistant, like in the mockup on the post where reacty was introduced. I like the original blue version better than an ugly silver version made later (no offence, whoever made the silver one).

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:19 pm

I would like to point out that most of the developers, myself included, want the Reacty concept to die.

MadnessRed

Post by MadnessRed » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:29 pm

all im gonna say is remember ms clipit. Having a character has potential to annoy a lot of people. Personally i wouldn't mind one but thats just me.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:45 am

Z98 wrote:I would like to point out that most of the developers, myself included, want the Reacty concept to die.
why? I think it is a funny idea. BSD has a little daemon, Linux has Tux, MSN has its butterfly... why won´t ReactOS have one?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:48 am

It's not the concept of a mascot or logo that the devs are opposed to, it's just that a lot of them just don't like Reacty and most are content with having the atom remain the standard logo.

kevintrooper

Re: Reacty Design

Post by kevintrooper » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 am

Now that Reacty is cool
PM me if u need graphic help. I got a graphics tablet

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:12 am

Reacty still isn't cool. My threat regarding it still remains.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:01 am

Z98 wrote:Reacty still isn't cool. My threat regarding it still remains.
...What threat? I haven't broken some law here, have I?

Personally, I wasn't thinking that Reacty would appear in the ReactOS software itself because it's hard to push a professional platform with cartoon characters flying around. Plus, it's plain annoying, as MadnessRed noted. Windows XP looked like a bad episode of Teletubbies, and that's a part of Windows I hope nobody here wants to replicate.

I figured that Reacty might be useful for some minor promotional media once this project reaches the 0.5 mark and starts getting more attention from the OSS community. (Cute Reacty plushies for a tech geek's desk, perhaps?) Reacty wouldn't (and shouldn't) replace the atom in marketing, just supplement it in more informal settings, like how Firefox has their own little fox stuff you can buy on their website for fun, even though they still maintain the more professional Firefox branding for the serious business.

From your standpoint, would that approach seem more reasonable, Z98? Either way it's a long ways off, but it doesn't hurt to look ahead, does it? I wouldn't want the devs (who already have their hands full coding and debugging) to have to worry about mascots now, I just figured since there wasn't much else I could do right now I would play with the idea in the meantime. I didn't mean to cause trouble in doing so.

SdC: I wanted to work with the basic design of the original work, but it's kind of hard to not make it somehow comparable to other round characters, including M&Ms, Mr. Potato Head, or Kirby. I was trying to find a way to keep it different. M&Ms didn't pop in my mind, though, so thanks for the heads-up. If Z98 doesn't mind too much I'll try to toy with my concept to make it more distinctive.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:22 pm

That statement was for another overly enthusiastic member of this forum, not you. As far as using Reacty for some kind of media promotion, you'll need to talk to Fireball (Aleksey Bragin). I personally do not like the Reacty concept in general, but he's the project coordinator with the final say on such matters. But in all honesty, I'm not sure even he would care for something at this stage. The Reacty concept has a lot of baggage in terms of bad rep amongst the oldtimers on this forum and project.

cppm

Post by cppm » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:37 pm

why? I think it is a funny idea. BSD has a little daemon, Linux has Tux, MSN has its butterfly... why won´t ReactOS have one?
Because all of those are intrinsically aesthetic. The penguin is non-conventional and apparently 'cute', the daemon implies mischief and the butterfly implies freedom and elegance (oh the irony)

Tell me, what does an atom with a goofy smile, and some tacked on arms and legs represent? I think nothing but a decent logo that has been unfortunately violated because people thought a mascot would 'just be cool' and have given no decent thought to what it should be.

Bear in mind that the original reacty was never to be taken seriously.

Mac OS X doesn't have a mascot... perhaps it should take it's X logo and add a face and some arms and legs. Yeah, that'll work! It's a mascot... made from the logo! How Funny!... It's funny because it's also the logo! hur hur hur*brain melts... forearms hit the floor*

No it doesn't just work like that, come up with a decent design, or drop it.