A Scalable Vector Logo for ReactOS

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadRat

Post by MadRat »

You call that fischer price? Nah, this is more like Fischer Price.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=14838
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:You call that fischer price? Nah, this is more like Fischer Price.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=14838
To me that's just as fischer-price as Everaldo's stuff. And you're avoiding my point: We already have Everaldo icons, and we don't want 'em.
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

mf: I'm not meaning to be offencive, but to me, an outsider, it seems like MadRat said; You are tad too defensive about anything you do.

Besides, who ever said colors are bad? Human eye tends to tire to colorless schemes. I.e. if you ever have designed web-sites, at first look it might look nice with only a splash of color here and there, but when you look at it few days/week/month later it seems really... well.. blank.
On the other hand colors are good because that's the fastest form of information for human eye to react, which makes the UI faster to use.

Next, the logo. Compare it to Windows or Linux logo. Now throw them infront of average Joe. He can instantly recognize the shapes of the latter two but how about the atom thing? First of all, there is text written over the logo. To average joe it just looks like text over.. a ball...
The shape is everything. The shape is recognized before content of the shape, hence a logo should preferrably be:

A) Distinct shape, perhaps a text
2) Have as clear borders as possible (now it has black over grey)
III) Possibly have colors to make the recognition process faster (i.e. Prime colors in Windows logo)

-crappish :twisted:
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

mf wrote:We already have Everaldo icons, and we don't want 'em.
To be honest, your opinion is the only one I remember hearing on the matter. I'm being open-minded about it, and think your style could look quite good when it's not clashing with Everaldo, but other people might not agree. Maybe it's worth conducting a poll?
chris319

Post by chris319 »

[ external image ]

Are you kidding? It looks like a multi-tailed sperm cell.

It won't reproduce worth a darn in monochrome, which should be one of your design considerations. The Windows logo reproduces quite well in monochrome; if you remove the color from the window panes you are left with a distinct black-and-white shape with no fancy blending. With this logo, remove the color and you're left with an amorphous blob.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

crappish wrote:mf: I'm not meaning to be offencive, but to me, an outsider, it seems like MadRat said; You are tad too defensive about anything you do.
Which is true. The false statement is that I don't handle criticism at all. I do, just not very well, and you actually have to come with some well thought of valid points to keep me from jumping into concrete wall defense mode.
counting_pine wrote:To be honest, your opinion is the only one I remember hearing on the matter.
Listen more carefully on the IRC channel. So far, the only developer that I haven't seen saying anything bad about Everaldo's stuff is Martin. That doesn't mean a lot of devs aren't okay with it (most don't care), but there does seem to be a slight preference towards something else. And as for my stuff, the only negative points were small technicalities which I've in most cases fixed. Of course the userbase on the forum always has something to complain, but hey, these are the people that suggest 3D interfaces and want identical XP clones. Are you expecting me to take that seriously?
chris319 wrote:Are you kidding? It looks like a multi-tailed sperm cell.
Yes, I'm kidding. If you paid attention, you'd notice I was cynically mocking MadRat's suggestions.
cuppm

Not that it matters much...

Post by cuppm »

Not that it matters all that much, but I like having the icons be the fisher price style. I like my windows and stuff more traditional (no Luna borders and stuff), but the icons I like vibrant and a little more abstract over realistic.

So maybe we could include an icon theme manager? That is something that I want for windows. It would be an applet in the control panel or something that could change the windows icon set. The icon packages could be like an archive file that has the icons and some ini file or something that tells what icon replaces what thing. So the package would have a My Computer icon, a My Network Places icon, a trash can empty icon, and trash can full icon, etc.

So you could have a package of realistic icons and a package of fisher price icons and let the end user pick the one they want. Have it ship with a default kind of in the middle set of icons and include a few icon packages.
mf
Developer

Re: Not that it matters much...

Post by mf »

cuppm wrote:So maybe we could include an icon theme manager?
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Themes
cuppm

Post by cuppm »

Well what do you know. Hmm...maybe I should just RTFW. :)
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

mf wrote:
cuppm wrote:So maybe we could include an icon theme manager?
http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/Themes
The idea of a theme manager sounds quite messy to me. I think it would be best if we just agreed on a single theme.

OK, I agree Everaldo isn't very good; the large black outlines on many of the icons make them look quite ugly, particularly when ReactOS can't use the alpha channels. But that doesn't necessarily mean that we have to go to the other extreme.

I'm OK with your style, but the so-called "Fisher-Price" look seems to be quite popular. Maybe something closer to the XP theme would be more appealing to Windows users.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

that isn't fischer price. fischer price is the windows xp luna theme. and i think there's confusion between "fischer price" and "cartoonish".

the crystal icon set is actually quite popular and i like everaldo's stuff. i no longer have the crystal set tho, currently my objectdock is using his "kids" theme as i find it more fun.

i actively dislike the disjointed look of the mac osx icons.

i like the idea of an icon theme manager. they've been successfully implemented in windows and other OSs
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Regardless of what we all prefer, we do all agree that a childish look would be bad for ReactOS' "image", right?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Its agreed that childish behavior is bad for ROS, but its disagreeable that Plastic Themes are childish. You really just don't know when your opinion is rubbing people wrong.
Go Huskers!
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

MadRat wrote:Its agreed that childish behavior is bad for ROS
Cute twist of words. You should try a job as a politician.
MadRat wrote:but its disagreeable that Plastic Themes are childish.
Even when they're called "Kids" ? Come on, stop kidding yourself.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

mf wrote:
MadRat wrote:Its agreed that childish behavior is bad for ROS
Cute twist of words. You should try a job as a politician.
MadRat wrote:but its disagreeable that Plastic Themes are childish.
Even when they're called "Kids" ? Come on, stop kidding yourself.
i think "kids" is a fun icon set. i didn't realize ROS' icon set needed to be 'mature' for it to be taken seriously. and if you are truly concerned about the icon set making the OS seem childish, i think someone needs to review some insecurities.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia