Icons for image files.

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lagman

Icons for image files.

Post by Lagman »

Hi all,
While I've lurked these forums for a while, this would be my first post. I'm a help desk tech, with a bit of Graphic and web design back ground. Unfortunately i no nothing of C or C++ (i toyed with VB 6 and .net for a little while, but alas, no C). I had a thought recently about icons for graphic files. I know there are ways in windows to implement the thumb to be an icon for most formats, like .BMP and .JPG, but you usually have to apply a registry hack to get it or just live with thumb nail view. I was wondering about the feasibility of having the OS give that as an option, perhaps not a default setting but a changeable setting. Photoshop 7 comes with the .DLL file that makes it work for .PSDs but i installed Nero 7 pro which has its own image viewer program, and like an idiot i let it associate with all of my images including PSDs. now i fixed the associations just fine but i cant get the thumb icons back and some how it also broke the thumb view in XP. I have applied every reg hack i can think of and posted on several forums to no avail. What i would love is for the OS to override Nero's tinkering and give me back my icons the way i want. I know XP and Vista will not give me that level of flexibility mostly due to licensing issues, (Photoshop CS3 has even removed the icon view), but i was wondering if its capable and a good idea for ROS? What do you guys think? Forgive my typing, slept through spelling and typing :D
forart

Post by forart »

Dunno, but graphic files' icons should be the tumbnail itself IMHO.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
dreams

Post by dreams »

Sounds like a good idea, better thumbnails than XP. Gnome does this a lot better, never had a problem there. Also Gnome shows not the first frame of movie files, but a frame somewhere in the middle.
Floyd

Re: Icons for image files.

Post by Floyd »

Lagman wrote:Hi all,
While I've lurked these forums for a while, this would be my first post. I'm a help desk tech, with a bit of Graphic and web design back ground. Unfortunately i no nothing of C or C++ (i toyed with VB 6 and .net for a little while, but alas, no C). I had a thought recently about icons for graphic files. I know there are ways in windows to implement the thumb to be an icon for most formats, like .BMP and .JPG, but you usually have to apply a registry hack to get it or just live with thumb nail view. I was wondering about the feasibility of having the OS give that as an option, perhaps not a default setting but a changeable setting. Photoshop 7 comes with the .DLL file that makes it work for .PSDs but i installed Nero 7 pro which has its own image viewer program, and like an idiot i let it associate with all of my images including PSDs. now i fixed the associations just fine but i cant get the thumb icons back and some how it also broke the thumb view in XP. I have applied every reg hack i can think of and posted on several forums to no avail. What i would love is for the OS to override Nero's tinkering and give me back my icons the way i want. I know XP and Vista will not give me that level of flexibility mostly due to licensing issues, (Photoshop CS3 has even removed the icon view), but i was wondering if its capable and a good idea for ROS? What do you guys think? Forgive my typing, slept through spelling and typing :D
google for shell icon cache, find the hidden file and delete it.
then reboot your machine it should fix it.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia
Lagman

Post by Lagman »

It would make working with graphics a whole lot easier if i didn't have to guess which Untitled.psd file i was working with. I know i could name them something that would identify them (and normally i do) but still its wonderful to be able to tell what the image file really is, at a glance.

-Floyd, i tried your suggestion but clearing the cache failed, It could be 'cause I'm on XP64. No idea though. So for now no thumbs for Lag man :cry: