8%
OK
15%
not very good
48%

Total votes: 48

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

Use C and only C. People can't seem to get it straight, but there are actually reasons behind using C even if it look like its hard. Just look at simple examples.

Oh, and also, I kinda think ReactOS should use MPlayer or FFMPEG even if it might not have a component that an equivalent exists for in windows. MCI sucks badly... and I even think it should wrap to something like MPlayer or FFMPEG in ReactOS.

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

It is nice to make a ROS media player, but there is no reason it can't just bundle more professional programs (which could be freely downloaded) such as quicktime, itunes, windows media player, or realplayer, all of which are very good programs.

It is nice that you made a media player, but (a) it doesn't look good yet, (b) it doesn't seem to work well/at all, and (c) it isn't really needed.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Licensing issues. None of those are open source and we would need to get a license from the companies themselves to distribute their media player with ReactOS when it's ready, though that part might actually turn out to be easy. And I believe MS put a clause in WMP that you can only use it on authentic Windows, or something like that.

Anyways, this particular discussion ended a while ago.

uleak

Post by uleak »

How about GPLed MPC(Media Player Classic)? Althrough it is writen in C++, I think it is great. It can work with MCI(old version) and fftshow (new) version. Or add it to Download! app may be good.
please see http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ for detail.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

You want something which uses DirectShow.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

there,s only one solution VLC,it can play most media files AND ITS open source ,and before you ask kevintrooper,yes you can get a windows mediaplayer style skin for it.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

So does MPlayer, also MPC with a good codec pack...

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

yeah i know but i still think videp lan displays video a lot clearer than mplayer.

etko

Post by etko »

MPC is way to go I believe it should be included as default mplayer

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

VLC has often issues with seeking thorugh the movie, thus it`s hard to set it up to a desired point in the movie.

meg112

Post by meg112 »

The best open source media player is SongBird. based on firefox engine.

http://www.songbirdnest.com/

[ external image ]

This is the first candidate for ROS with Firefox

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

SunBird looks like iTunes in a dark skin.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Just downloaded and tried SongBird.
It has a lot of features, but it's not gonna be my default media player.

It has too many features. I don't need and don't want a webbrowser in my media player.
I want my media player to be lightweight, because it's running most of the time. Most of the 35MB memory could be used better. (musicCube uses 2-4MB)
The functionality for music organization isn't as good as musicCube, wich I currently use. It doesn't allow minimizing into taskbar, wich is crucial.
Video playback is still alpha.

Maybe if someone creates a lightweight version, I'd give it another try.

btw: it installed without problems on ros, but after starting it, ros bsod'ed ;-)

Nmn

Post by Nmn »

To be honest, using the Firefox engine for something like that seems a bit over the top. I mean, I like Firefox, but even if it does leave a GENERALLY(as compared to WMP) small memory footprint (without big/inefficient plug ins such as Java) it doesn't seem exactly feasible. I think our best bet is to come up with our own Media Player, but doing all of the libraries below it from scratch designed to be efficient and flexible, and building a media player atop of it all. This way, the libraries can be re-used to do various media tasks in style without losing flexibility, etc. (Kind of like a "media" GTK library except filling the whole circle kinda like DirectFB) This idea involves having a video and sound system with back ends for everything you can expect (Like GDI+, OpenGL, DirectX, and OpenAL) which means development would be time consuming and likely dynamically opening back ends (using LoadLibrary) would be preferred. Therefor, its probably better the team who's responsible for developing the various components of React OS allow a third party team to do at least the initial work on this kind of thing. Perhaps it could be on Source Forge like React OS Calculator.

Then again, you could take a different approach to the whole thing and make it directly use Direct X for everything and wait until there is a Direct X implementation in React OS... but then again, that doesn't sound so "appealing" or "intelligent", especially for the future of it, does it?

edit: and about VLC vs Mplayer. Mplayer plays more better. Now, before you comprehend this as a flame or just plain wrong info, please be aware of the background of Mplayer. It is a command line tool. In other words, setting it up to be optimal may be hard and only 1 of the Mplayer GUIs did it right by default. Back to the original point, VLC will show certain videos washed out and dark - depending on the broken implementation of a codec - while Mplayer can usually view them without much trouble. Additionally, Mplayer supports the real Windows codec files, even on non Windows platforms. This proves useful for say VP60 where the implementation is not perfect - As far as i was able to tell, Without the original codec neither Mplayer nor VLC could stream VP60 but Mplayer was able to play all of the VP60 files i fed it, albeit small bugs and a little extra random skipiness. I have managed to use Mplayer with the actual VP60 codec and on both Linux and Windows it runs just fine.

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Windows has Windows Media Player. I can see ReactOS having ReactPlayer, but I really see no reason why not to use a good existing program like RealPlayer.