Icons design and intellectual property

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

etko

Icons design and intellectual property

Post by etko »

I would like to know how icons are copyrighted? For example I know that in music industry it is somehow possible to avoid copyright violation when including others music into your own piece by replaying/"recomposing" part in question on your own.

Similarly there is similar process used in reimplementing Windows NT as ReactOS. It is possible to recreate icons from "scratch" using similar technique?

redviper

Post by redviper »

I think it depends on the country. In Germany Jamba (aka Jamster) can freely copy wallpapers from the net and sell them to kids for real money because of "too less artistic value". But I won't suggest to remake an existing icon.

etko

Post by etko »

I ment rather reimplementing XP like icon look de nuovo, providing GPLed SVGs etc but icons being nearly identical to XP ones.

forart

Post by forart »

Just a question: why ?

Do you really like XP icons so mutch ?

There are tons of better royalty-free icon packages, why don't you port them instead ?
forart wrote:Some other links:

CrystalXP

Exquisite icons

Nuvola icons

and so on...

8)
And, well...
...last but not least, check out this list !!! 8)

EDIT: I found this interesting document around icons...

...and finally i suggest you to keep involved into the Open Clip Art Library.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

cuppm

Post by cuppm »

etko wrote:I ment rather reimplementing XP like icon look de nuovo, providing GPLed SVGs etc but icons being nearly identical to XP ones.
IANAL but I think as long as you created them yourself without using any part of the MS it's okay. But it's probably best that they are slightly different, because the MS ones are copywritten.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Don't forget that since this is a free software project, ReactOS uses the closest thing there is to official free software icons: tango.

http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project