ReactOS svg logo

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Cristan wrote:Good work! This version is way better than the official one. The official one is over two and a half MB large (as svgz still 1.8MB), and neither works in firefox or in Wikipedia.
Blame Adobe, I used Illustrator 10 to convert from Illustrator .AI to SVG. Anyone who has better conversion tools is free to give it a try; the full resolution .AI is on svn as well. As for the filesize, it's full resolution (which is a lot), you can reduce it by opening the .AI, and setting the object DPI (from the 400dpi if i recall correctly, that it is now) to 72dpi. The vector shapes (orb outline, wisps), won't be affected.
It compiles, let's ship it!

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Still, this is completely vector graphics, so this is even more ideal.

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

I'll try to make the sorrounding lines better. It can take some time, but maybe I bring it fast.

mvent2

Post by mvent2 »

Wow, the logo has come a long way since I slept last night :lol:

I think this should become the new official ReactOS SVG file, if only for the fact that it is significantly smaller in filesize than the one we have now and can be viewed in Firefox, Opera and Wikipedia.

The .ai can stay I guess. :wink:

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Hmm. When resizing to a small image, the svg one looks a bit weird.

I doubt this is caused by the svg, but I post it here anyway. You can also see that the highlights on the atom are a bit different, but it isn't very disturbing.
Last edited by Cristan on Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Surrounding lines and their glow fixed. Next I'll fix the glow around the ball.
:)

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Added more glowing.
Next I'll see what I can do on the ball surface.

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

Ready now:

-glowing was too near to the ball, fixed
-changes on surface
-other small details corrected
-added text-only version

Any more wishes? :wink:

http://gateshater.ga.ohost.de/ROS/logo/ros_logo1.svg
http://gateshater.ga.ohost.de/ROS/logo/ ... htext1.svg
http://gateshater.ga.ohost.de/ROS/logo/ ... t_only.svg

All Versions use now the new blur option of Incscape. This option is not supported by all viewers/editors.
Last edited by ROSFan on Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

The svg is getting better and better:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

:arrow: another Details added/fixed

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Hmm. perhaps making the default size of the svg 600x331 like the official logo is a good idea? I guess this would make comparing it easier. On the other hand: you can scale an svg to any size you like, so it isn't that important.

I've created a ReactOS logo test page at wikipedia comparing the two logos, and the only difference I can still see is that the highlight on the upper left of the atom is brighter on the svg, and that "special effect" white lines following the black lines around the atom should follow the black lines a bit better and fade out a bit more. (perhaps you could even steal this part from the official svg)

It's just minor details, but this would make the logo perfect.

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

:arrow: size fixed to 600x331
:arrow: ball glow misplacing fixed (don't know how it happened)

I have Problems with the glow arround the ball. It seems not to be possible make the glow behind the blue ball and in front of a sorrounding line (the glow should not overlap the ball surface) because the glow must then be placed behind the ball, but the lines are in front of the ball. Need time to make it other way. Inkscape seems not to support profile matched filling. This would be very useful for this job.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Also, on the SVG logo the characters "OS" (in "ReactOS") seem slightly darker and a bit more satisfied? I'm not sure though, it's just what it looks like to me on first sight... Other than that, you're going on pretty nicely and pretty quick on this indeed :) I think the glow 'in' the orb should be a little more blue toned, but I'm sure you figured that out... And indeed I feel this should be the official SVG logo :)
-graey-

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

@ROSFan

I recommend you to look at the AI and check out what the orb looks like when it's unmasked (alpha channel to 100% opaque), and what the mask looks like in black and white. Without the wisps in front, it's much clearer to see how the orb really looks. If you don't have Illustrator, I can send you PNG versions of the orb and orb mask if you want.
It compiles, let's ship it!

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

:arrow: "OS" color fixed
:arrow: Now the glow doesn't overlap the ball

I have no Adobe Illustrator. When I open it the ai file with my viewers, the document size saved in the file is smaller than the size of the logo, so I can see just the middle of the ball. I have the png, you can see there that the glow is white. The blue color is only over the ball. That's because it has a bit transparency. I'll fix it.

edit: Do you can convert the ai file to svg? I could then take the orbits from the orginal, if they are saved as scalable vectors.