A 100% original/official icon theme for ReactOS?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

keytotime

Post by keytotime »

Can you please post the vector graphics themselves.

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

About the folder icon, the large one should come before the 16px one, and they should be similar (aside from perspective).

The Crystal Clear theme has two flags (USA front, Brazil behind) with glass reflection. Mac OS X has the UN flag. Bother are fine. ReactOS already has two flags as the icon, and I think this should only be modified, not changed to a globe or UN flag (though that wouldn't be terrible). It's not worth arguing over. Though, I would think it would make sense if the top flag would be the USA flag, since (I assume?) most of its users would be from the USA, and that would be most recognizable for most users.

mf
Developer

Post by mf »

Atari wrote:also, will Reactos icons support the alpha channel in the future?
Set your display depth to 32 bit and watch the magic unfold.
It compiles, let's ship it!

eXile

Post by eXile »

artguy10 wrote:The Crystal Clear theme has two flags (USA front, Brazil behind) with glass reflection. Mac OS X has the UN flag. Bother are fine. ReactOS already has two flags as the icon, and I think this should only be modified, not changed to a globe or UN flag (though that wouldn't be terrible). It's not worth arguing over. Though, I would think it would make sense if the top flag would be the USA flag, since (I assume?) most of its users would be from the USA, and that would be most recognizable for most users.
Rly not China? :P

Yes you are right, we should stop this discussion now, either modify the old icon or use the UN-flag.

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

eXile wrote: Rly not China? Razz

See:
[ external image ]

Though I have seen other versions of this icon, I think one with the USA flag in front of the Germany flag. It doesn't really matter.
Last edited by artguy10 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreams

Post by dreams »

Why not a russian flag, as the project coordinator Aleksey is from Russia :)

But really, i don't care, we should keep the ones we currently have.

preston
Developer

Post by preston »

And I think the Bike shed should be green!

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

artguy10 wrote: See:
[ external image ]

Though I have seen other versions of this icon, I think one with the USA flag in front of the Germany flag. It doesn't really matter.
It's not preferable to have any flag, the current one is only used because that's what was available.
I do however think a US flag is a bad idea as many people would be against that.

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

Now as much as I don't want to continue the discussion...
Ged wrote:It's not preferable to have any flag, the current one is only used because that's what was available.
I do however think a US flag is a bad idea as many people would be against that.
So what do you suggest? A globe, which may bring Internet to mind, or the UN flag? About not using the US flag in a pair, why would many people be against it? After all, is or is not the default shipping language EN-US?

eXile

Post by eXile »

Hi,

Let i (i_1, ... i_m) be a country of the world. Thus, m is the number of countries of the world. Let 0 < p(i, p) < 1 be the preference with i being the country (here synonymous with its flag) and p being the person, whose preference is observed. Let k be the total number of persons of this world, and k(i) the total number of persons of one county i.
Now the sum from p = 1 to k(i_a) over p(i_a, p) of a country i_a is less than the sum from i_b = 1 to m over the sum from p = 1 to k(i_b) over p(i_b, p) but i_b e I\{i_a}. This is why choosing a flag of any country would be a wrong move.

Cheers,
eXile.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

artguy10 wrote:So what do you suggest? A globe, which may bring Internet to mind, or the UN flag?
I suggest it's unimportant and irrelevant at the moment, so it's not worth worrying about.
About not using the US flag in a pair, why would many people be against it? After all, is or is not the default shipping language EN-US?
Few people other than Americans citizens are fans of US policy.
Considering ReactOS has a very small US following, and a huge European and Russian following, it would do nothing other than piss many of these people off.

I agree that having a flag isn't ideal, but for now we're stuck with it.
If you want to design something which is fitting with our current icon theme, then go for it. If you can come up with something good, then I'll replace the flag with it.

The idea of a globe which I recall someone suggesting seemed like a good solution.

dreams

Post by dreams »

A globe would be the best idea, and to avoid discussion, just put the same country in front as in MS's version, Europe + Africa :)

[ external image ]

artguy10

Post by artguy10 »

How about something like the Wikipedia logo, which is a sphere covered by letters from all different alphabets? Or perhaps the icon could be something like the dollar sign, the pound sign and the euro sign, or maybe just a Latin letter, an Arabic letter, a Russian letter, and a Hebrew letter?[/code]

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

dreams wrote:A globe would be the best idea, and to avoid discussion, just put the same country in front as in MS's version, Europe + Africa :)

[ external image ]
when I mentioned a globe, I was refering to this link:
http://images.tchibo.de/eCS/Store/de/im ... detail.jpg

I didn't mean a picture of the planet. Frankly, that could mean anything IMO, and is commonly used for internet related stuff

dreams

Post by dreams »

Ged wrote:
dreams wrote:A globe would be the best idea, and to avoid discussion, just put the same country in front as in MS's version, Europe + Africa :)

[ external image ]
when I mentioned a globe, I was refering to this link:
http://images.tchibo.de/eCS/Store/de/im ... detail.jpg

I didn't mean a picture of the planet. Frankly, that could mean anything IMO, and is commonly used for internet related stuff
That's true, this icon was used in win95, before internet was a big thing. WinXP changed it into a real globe:

[ external image ]

And it is the best option imho.