PackageManager is [not] dead, long live 'Download !'

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

kokodin

Post by kokodin »

what do you mean with server wizzard ?
in my opinion programs should be downloaded from many servers placing files in only one server (eg reactos .org) can overload server connection with internet and block website or make downloader useless
every user should be able to add new serwer directory manualy by some kind of wizzard like in regular aptitude in linux :]
in other way someone must updating programs and mirror server list very often
Thcrw8383

Post by Thcrw8383 »

I think we should do a synaptic-like package manager. Synaptic has done it right when managing packages,it would be great if we could implement a PM like synaptic,with the interface that j_bond00 posted,that GUI looks really good :)
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

kokodin wrote:
what do you mean with server wizzard ?
in my opinion programs should be downloaded from many servers placing files in only one server (eg reactos .org) can overload server connection with internet and block website or make downloader useless
every user should be able to add new serwer directory manualy by some kind of wizzard like in regular aptitude in linux :]
in other way someone must updating programs and mirror server list very often
I think you should just be able to change the download url in the options. But the default is reactos.org and no different mirrors. It's not that much server load.
I think we should do a synaptic-like package manager. Synaptic has done it right when managing packages,it would be great if we could implement a PM like synaptic,with the interface that j_bond00 posted,that GUI looks really good
Fell free to do so.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
WhiteFlash

Post by WhiteFlash »

I just got the latest .iso and when I try to run this program it says that the xml file is missing. Did you know about this? Maybe you just didn't include it yet? I'm looking forward to running this program to see what I can download. :D
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

WhiteFlash wrote:I just got the latest .iso and when I try to run this program it says that the xml file is missing. Did you know about this? Maybe you just didn't include it yet? I'm looking forward to running this program to see what I can download. :D
Did you use the start menu shortcut ? Try to run it from system32, using cmd or explorer.
WhiteFlash

Post by WhiteFlash »

I've tried running it both ways and it always says, "could not find xml file". I'm running ReactOS under qemu, if that would make any difference to you. It's not really a big deal to me, but I figured I would point it out in case you wanted to know.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Okay, I will fix as soon as rectos runs under vmware for me again.
EIDT: Should work in r25263.
WhiteFlash

Post by WhiteFlash »

Yes, it works now. Nice program, BTW!! Now I have to see if I can install any of the programs and have them work properly :wink:
forart

Post by forart »

I hope it will become a standard !

WinLibre@SoC 2007's Package management for Windows

:roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.