Alt-Tab, Switcher vs Exposé?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mvent2

Alt-Tab, Switcher vs Exposé?

Post by mvent2 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:33 am

Hi guys, just me again.

I downloaded the 0.4-SVN a few nights ago and played around with it. Aside from the 100% CPU troubles Qemu was giving me, I was really impressed at how much progress you guys have come.

Anyway, there's one feature missing from ReactOS. Yes, I know it's not important yet, that's why it's in the Design forum. :wink: The Alt-Tab command.

Are you just going to implement the standard Windows 98-style switcher? Because I think that, when ReactOS matures, this is a great opportunity to set yourselves apart from Redmond in at least one way. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to implement a native exposé, activated by Alt-tab?

Discuss! :D Oh, and if it is already implemented, my bad. I couldn't get anything up by pressing Alt-tab on Qemu.

Nande

Post by Nande » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 am

personally i would like to have the exposee version, but as i'm not going to do the coding....
either way, i think that they should be considering implementing things to do some cool things from now.

Because implementing just the simplest way, will make troubles in the future.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:39 am

I think a Windows-like version would be made, so or the Win98 style one, or the Vista one with previews of the windows. Expose could be done native as well, but then under F12 or something... It isn't a Windows feature though, it's all up to the devs
-graey-

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:51 am

ReactOS don't need to be exactly like windows, only exactly compatible. So a different alt-tab would be appreciated. But that's not a priority.

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:31 pm

Yeah! Who volunteers to write the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) for ReactOS?
It compiles, let's ship it!

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:54 pm

yes, get graphical subsystem out of kernelspace, write gdi compatibility for dwm and talk that "devs stated that there will be no 3d desktop for ros"

who volunteers?

milesje

Post by milesje » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:53 pm

I may just have to look into writing the DWM. I have been thinking of a way to help with the project and I think this might be my way of helping.

Phobos

Post by Phobos » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:21 am

the DWM is heavily dependant on direct3D.. I'm no ROS expert, but I believe (correct me if I'm wromg, please) direct3D is not yet fully implemented, is it?

anyway, it would be very interesting to see some work on DWM being done milesje hehehe

Reacter

Post by Reacter » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:47 am

Why not just have the tab+alt keys show a tiny list of Windows in the corner of the screen and cycle through open windows and the desktop? That would be very useful.
More ReactOS, please!

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 pm

Phobos wrote:the DWM is heavily dependant on direct3D.. I'm no ROS expert, but I believe (correct me if I'm wromg, please) direct3D is not yet fully implemented, is it?

anyway, it would be very interesting to see some work on DWM being done milesje hehehe
Yes, direct3d is very incomplete, but I believe we could base it on OpenGL, for which we have Mesa included.

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:28 pm

i have to disagree here, as someone menmtioned previously windows is heaviliy based on dx, ros should too, reactx is on its way so when it'll be completed (or be as complete as to handle needed stuff) then time for dwm could be right.

conditionals eh?

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:27 pm

Z98 wrote:
mikedep333 wrote:
Phobos wrote:the DWM is heavily dependant on direct3D.. I'm no ROS expert, but I believe (correct me if I'm wromg, please) direct3D is not yet fully implemented, is it?

Yes, direct3d is very incomplete, but I believe we could base it on OpenGL, for which we have Mesa included.
No, no, hell no. You're going to have to forgive me for my vehemence on this count, but we do NOT want to go through OpenGL for Direct3D. This is what WINE does, and this is one of those things we will not duplicate. OpenGL and Direct3D are comparable, but they are not the same, nor will they ever be, short of some kind of miracle. As such, the inconsistencies between them would make it more trouble than it's worth, especially considering we don't support hardware accelerated OpenGL either. The Mesa we're using is software based 3D acceleration, and that is not what one would want to use for serious 3D graphics.
I'm not suggesting we base direct3d on opengl, I was suggesting we base the window manager and its effects on opengl.
Sorry for not making that clear.