Log Out window

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ROS use a generic Log Out screen?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 am

Yes, stick to Microsoft's lead and use a plain option box.
27%
No, I like the idea of using a pretty log out box.
58%
I just want to see the results.
16%

Total votes: 45

crhylove

Post by crhylove »

I think everything should be as simple as possible. One user automatically logs in as root and can do anything. Then the shut down process is just one of three buttons, like that XP one, or the xandros one.

Of course advanced users should be able to get whatever functionality they want, but the default setup should be for john q. moron to be able to handle with ease.

rhY

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

nightshade wrote:A nice logonui.exe like the winxp one would be greate. Choose if you want to see the old Win2k login window or the new one from XP.

Btw the edubuntu window looks a little bit to childish/strange (a common problem of linux guis i think)
those icons are supposed to be childish. edubuntu is a distro to help young kids learn. ubuntu's are similar but more consistant with gnome. but that can be changed based on theme.

this screen seems professional yet friendly/playful.
http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/origi ... 9&slide=83

[/code]
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

Floyd

Post by Floyd »

DrV wrote:That is the shutdown dialog when you have the Welcome screen enabled. When you disable the Welcome screen (the way it should be :) ), you get the classic shutdown dialog with a combo box:
[ external image ]
i like this version of the log off screen.

i still like the ubuntu one better (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/origi ... 9&slide=83); it's functional and clean -- also very nice and presentable.

i often use the lock, logout, shutdown and restart options -- very rarely do i use switch user and i never use hibernate.
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

crhylove

Post by crhylove »

Yeah, Ubuntu's Logout screen does own.