Log Out window

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ROS use a generic Log Out screen?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 am

Yes, stick to Microsoft's lead and use a plain option box.
27%
No, I like the idea of using a pretty log out box.
58%
I just want to see the results.
16%

Total votes: 45

nightshade

Post by nightshade » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:12 pm

Do you mean such a classical window:

[/quote]

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:39 pm

nightshade wrote:Image
That was always a bad design cause it takes more clicks and moves that are required working another way.

Switchboy

Post by Switchboy » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:34 pm

nightshade wrote:Do you mean such a classical window:

This will be great if you add the option Switch user and Log off. all the options located in the same screen instead of having both a "log of" and "shutdown" screen. I've always hated it in XP that it are seperate windows.

Because in 2k you had all the options in one screen. So a simple ALT-F4 was enough te bring all the options. :wink:

MadRat

Post by MadRat » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:32 pm

Buttons are easier to hit, and symbols are quicker to read than words. The first example from edubuntu seems like a nice way to go to me. Its also alot more colorful. Color is something lacking at this point.
Go Huskers!

nightshade

Post by nightshade » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:59 pm

This is the classical style as it was in win9x. If you want to use the colorful one, just use themes (like the luna style in xp). Otherwise it breaks the classical look, as the winxp shutdown and logoff dialogs does. Perhaps it looks good if you have luna turned on, but if you use the classical look it is just ugly.

@switchboy:

Blazkowicz

Post by Blazkowicz » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:53 pm

I like that! and I agree a colorful version would be used along a theme. it could be part of the theme itself, even. So you won't be forced to have Luna style shutdown when you use something different.

Adding the underlined letters is nice, that's a keyboard friendly window (either use arrow keys, or press H to hibernate.)

I don't mind the separation of "logoff" and "shutdown" options, as it makes some sense, but I don't mind them together either.
Only problem is title and icon which tell you you're about to turn off the computer, switch user is not that "destructive" ;). you could have "log off options" as the title, and another icon, or both icons, or no icon at all. (but that's a detail)

MadRat

Post by MadRat » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:22 am

New Xandros logout screen:

Go Huskers!

Harteex

Post by Harteex » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 pm

The Xandros one feels similiar to XP.

And at the other one:
So many buttons makes it feel a bit cluttered.

This might be interesting ;)
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screens ... downwindow
http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/logout

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:02 pm

nightshade wrote:This is the classical style as it was in win9x. If you want to use the colorful one, just use themes (like the luna style in xp). Otherwise it breaks the classical look, as the winxp shutdown and logoff dialogs does. Perhaps it looks good if you have luna turned on, but if you use the classical look it is just ugly.
I have XP with classical look, but my Shutdown window looks like this:

edit: last one worked for me. I have changed it now, hope this works.
Last edited by ThePhysicist on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:57 pm

ThePhysicist wrote:
nightshade wrote:This is the classical style as it was in win9x. If you want to use the colorful one, just use themes (like the luna style in xp). Otherwise it breaks the classical look, as the winxp shutdown and logoff dialogs does. Perhaps it looks good if you have luna turned on, but if you use the classical look it is just ugly.
I have XP with classical look, but my Shutdown window looks like this:
Well not much of a picture, try correcting the address please!

DrV

Post by DrV » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:52 pm

That is the shutdown dialog when you have the Welcome screen enabled. When you disable the Welcome screen (the way it should be :) ), you get the classic shutdown dialog with a combo box:

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:35 am

DrV wrote:That is the shutdown dialog when you have the Welcome screen enabled. When you disable the Welcome screen (the way it should be :) )
I like the welcome screen. It's much faster to click on a user than entering the name, and I am switching users pretty often. And it is required for fast user switching, at least I think so.

DrV

Post by DrV » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:42 pm

The Welcome screen is okay for casual home users, I guess, but it is worse than useless in a business environment - you can't log onto a domain, and you lose the protection of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete sequence.

Switchboy

Post by Switchboy » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:47 pm

And part of the guessing game is over. If you wan't to break into a computer you have to have a username and a password. If the username is allready presented to you you only have to "guess" the password to gain acces.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:40 pm

what about the vista style logout? it just has 2 buttons in the start menu for logout and turnoff, and little arrows for the other options.. quite clever and fast...
-graey-