Tango Icon Problems

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Phalanx

Tango Icon Problems

Post by Phalanx »

There is a problem with the license for the Tango icons. It is under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license. However, this causes a problem, as this license is incompatible with the GPL license (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-l ... erLicenses). A Filezilla developer recently stated that they could not use the icons cause of this problem. My understanding was some of the Tango icons were being placed into ReactOS, which would cause a problem as ReactOS is licensed (mostly) under GPL.

Maybe another icon set should be looked at, like Nuvola (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=5358)).

Am I correct in this correct or is the problem not not there/different?

Alkali

Post by Alkali »

I believe it is ok, the icon set will just be under a diffrent licence than the rest of the project. Since the icon set is not fundemental to the project, it does not have to be GPL. Also, the tango project is still open source, and the licence specified is quite similar to the GPL. Finally, the Reactos project can always get permition from the copyright holders (the project corrdinators I guess) to change the licence of the icons used in Reactos to GPL (content is often duel licenced).

Just so long as developers modifying these icons know their work can't be released as GPL, everything should be fine.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

My only problem with that is the fact that the icons are placed into resource files within pe files. If they came in a separate package then yes (even if it was distributed at the same time).

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I've spoken to the guys at Tango many times. They are currently discussing this with their lawyers.

However as long as we include the licence with our source code (which we do) then there is no forseeable problem.

If there ever is a problem, Tango have suggested they will want to swap licences as their icons are widely used in GPL projects.

As a side note, Gnome also releases with Tango icons.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Thanks Ged :D

tsg1zzn

Post by tsg1zzn »

Personally I think many tango icons are ugly.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

tsg1zzn wrote:Personally I think many tango icons are ugly.
Currently, we use a mixture of two icon sets, the tango icons and a Vista like icons set (GPL license).

Most icon sets have been created for Linux Desktop (KDE/Gnome) and not for Windows/ReactOS in mind.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

unfortunatley, it's impossible to pick an icon set which everyone will like.
Eventually, our theme support will solve this problem.
Until then, we had to pick something, and Tango was one of the best complete sets around.
Plus, Tango has been mentioned on the forums many times and it appeared to be well liked.

With things like UI design, the end users should have the biggest voice :)

tsg1zzn

Post by tsg1zzn »

Yes, Tango seems like a very reasonable choice considering it's completeness. However, I still don't like it, but I think it was a good choice until someone makes better icons.

forart

Post by forart »

Oh, well... can you explain us WHY ?

Anyway, it's too simple to just drop a non-constructive personal opinion...

For example, i'm a boring supporter of #E due to its completeness and 'cause many peoples consider it better than classic wingui.

So, if you have a better alternative, let us know. Thanks you.

:roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Patchworks wrote:For example, i'm a boring supporter of #E due to its completeness and 'cause many peoples consider it better than classic wingui.
sharpe-shell.org wrote:SharpE [...] is developed in Delphi 6.
The ReactOS shell has been written in C (explorer in C++). Feel free to report how well sharpe or any other third party shell does work in ReactOS.
The ReactOS user interface has to be compatible with Win Classic so that user can use win tutorials and books and ask service guys for help with software problems. Such persons will guide noobs through install process of applications with commands like this:
Click "Start", click "Run...", type "d:\setup.exe", press "Enter", etc.
Most people does like the Win32 GUI, it does lake on a few edges but overall it is far better then most competitors. There are always space for improvements and in my opinion this is the chance for ReactOS to make it better.
Even both major free Unix shells (KDE and Gnome) "clone" from Windows and Linux, KDE from Win32 and Gnome from MacOS X.

MSFT is currently trying to move away from the classic look&feel but has to keep it for legacy compatibility. Vista looks different, but that's only a theme (new icons, new color, etc.). As soon as ReactOS does support themes, we will be able to use WinXP or Vista like themes or any other theme style. There are thousends of WinXP compatible themes free available ...

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Explorer is reactos's shell.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

tsg1zzn

Post by tsg1zzn »

Patchworks wrote:
Oh, well... can you explain us WHY ?
Have a look at this: http://art.gnome.org/preview.php?image= ... o-Shot.png
Three different angles are used and the shadows doesn't have the right shape.

And my eyes burn when I look at the "new" glow. http://tango-project.org/static/cvs/tan ... ct-new.png

That glow is so painful to look at and they're using it for all "new" icons.

forart

Post by forart »

frik85 wrote:
sharpe-shell.org wrote:SharpE [...] is developed in Delphi 6.
The ReactOS shell has been written in C (explorer in C++).
Right, but it's open source !
So do you think it's impossible to "translate" (sorry, i'm not a developer) it into C++ or whatever ?
It could be hard, but not impossible i think... (that's the beauty of open source)
frik85 wrote:Feel free to report how well sharpe or any other third party shell does work in ReactOS.
I don't think #E works on ROS, at the moment. It's the reason 'cause i support it...
frik85 wrote:The ReactOS user interface has to be compatible with Win Classic ...
I understand your (and many others) point of view, anyway i don't agree.
MicroSoft don't care so mutch of backward-aspect-compatibility (even if common commands are always the same). #E works on Win XP, so the basic functionality are ensured. But #E has mutch more than luna !

BTW it's just a my opinion... :oops:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

BTW it's just a my opinion... :oops:
You have the right to have your opinion and I think it is justified.

But I don't think it's a good idea to rewrite your sharpE in c++. Of course it can't be impossible, but it's a colossal task. Who would do it? Reactos developers have enough work on the arms, and they are not at all familiar with sharpE internal working... Also I don't think that ShapE developers would want to scrap their work and restart in c++... If they choose delphi, there is a reason: it is what they wanted to use.
Finally, I suppose that you don't want to do it yourself...

Also why re-invent the wheel? Why restart the developement of sharpE in c++ when it could be possible to use the Native Delphi 6 version?
If sharpE works on winXP it will absolutly work once on reactos.
It's better to work on developing the API that would allow sharpE to work on ReactOS instead, because it will also allow to use other programs that use thos API.

Be patient and someday you will be able to use YOUR dear, sweet, perfect, cute, lovely, amazing,... SharpE on ReactOS. :roll:

Also I think that there were already many discussion about that...