New reactos interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Sat May 27, 2006 8:10 pm

The only thing the explorer is still missing is the adress combobox at the top.

@kokodin: Looks great! I vote for it as default gui! What font did you use for the caption? Looks much better than in ROS! I like the right button, the left one doesn't have a clear border. What do you think of real flat (and also blue?) sysbuttons in the caption?

The code for the gui is located inside user32.dll. I think it could be moved into an external dll (ui.dll or something) to make some kind of theming possible without a major performance decrease.

kokodin

Post by kokodin » Sat May 27, 2006 11:37 pm

i used tahoma 10 bold but every 10 arial like fonts look better that actual 8 :D i make every elements of gui (combo/checkboxes) bigger that in windows for about 2 px because default resolution in windows when was designed was 640 but now default is 800x600 or even 1024 and those components become too small to see them

those 2 ok buttons left one is normal and right one is pressed/pusshed caption buttons are bad i don't have ideas for them but they are in orginal positions like on normal windows just skined them if anyone have better ideas for this buttons write it here

making external design gui dll it great idea and maybe we should make 2 other dll's for standard clasic design (default on 16 and 256 colors) and secound for theming configurated by ini files in chosed skin directory

------------------------------------------------------------------
caption buttons flat and blue :D

about flat normal buttons
i dont think that flat buttons look nice on menu yes but on questions/dialog or other windows ok/cancel buttons contur should be visible pepole should known where the cancel button is :twisted: about blue definitely no it looks like unfinished or bad colors selested maybe hoovered button can be a bit blue but normal button looks realy bad

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sun May 28, 2006 3:35 am

MadRat wrote: Why does the sub-menu bar need maximize, minimize and close buttons?
It's a MDI, the buttons control different views. I had thought about converting it to a SDI, but it would have meant dropping quite a bit of functionality.

everything should have an MDI option, if it's it's done nicely. Our Explorer needed a bit of work to make it a pleasure to use, but it was easily possibly. I had plans .....

Hopefullly someone else will pick it up, I'm done with the UI :(

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Sun May 28, 2006 4:33 am

Ged wrote:
MadRat wrote: Why does the sub-menu bar need maximize, minimize and close buttons?
It's a MDI, the buttons control different views. I had thought about converting it to a SDI, but it would have meant dropping quite a bit of functionality.

everything should have an MDI option, if it's it's done nicely. Our Explorer needed a bit of work to make it a pleasure to use, but it was easily possibly. I had plans .....

Hopefully someone else will pick it up, I'm done with the UI :(
Moving between the windows are painful in MDI. I think it should be a tab system, like in FF/IE7/PSPad (even if you could still place the tabbed windows next to each other in the mdi style, so more a tab menu bar listing the mdi windows). That would make one easy to use MDI explorer.

And please can you come back to UI! You were doing an amazing job. I Have been reading the mailing lists for 5+ years now, and your improvements were one of the things I kept looking for. Unfortunately I never had time to help.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Sun May 28, 2006 4:37 am

kokodin wrote:caption buttons flat and blue :D
*thumbs up*

LMH1

Post by LMH1 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:22 pm

I like blue and green, but black is ok.

And i hope the window in reactos well have same color as menu or they pictures over, not "default" in ReactOS 0.30.
"ReactOS now look more, like older windows versions."

It is good but it can glass like interface like this:
Last edited by LMH1 on Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

.aart3k

Post by .aart3k » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:08 pm

support for uxthemes can help here. Then ROS could have 2 build-in layouts: classical and ReactOs'es Luna equivalent (ex. kokodin's theme).

Dominik

Post by Dominik » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:14 pm

this design hurts

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Dominik wrote:this design hurts
which one?

dogua

Post by dogua » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:17 pm

In everything the cases a thing is sure...
Everything who is alike has windows is hideous.
And it is for his whom ReactOS is, for an variant has windows.

Ps: sorry I am french and I speak little about English.

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:22 pm

iam not a fan of this design either, i have really hard for 3D designs.
It's just looks to overdone, like it's trying to be sexy but it aint.
Well we all have different tastes.

ThePianoGuy

Post by ThePianoGuy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:02 pm

kokodin wrote:ok
for ThePhysicist
green for tsg1zzn and for me :D
and yelow for baywatch :wink:
I really like the blue one. I don't like the font Winamp font though. Looks like Arial. What about FreeSans?

crhylove

Post by crhylove » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:18 am

I really like the solid color bar ideas, but we should be able to use several themes, yeah?

Like these Here:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 0109#20109
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2383
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2398

All three of these themes are good starting points. They are clean and simple, yet elegant and refined.

I'm going to spam that wallpaper I'm donating one more time:
http://www.leperkhanz.com/forum/gallery ... n.jpg.html

I think that background with one of these themes would be really nice.

rhY

PS Since you're on the full color ones, finish a red, an orange, a purple, and a pink too. And a gray. :D Maybe a Darker Blue one in addition. That'd be 7 pretty kick ass themes all in one.

Ferret-Simpson

Post by Ferret-Simpson » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:20 pm

So. . You're suggesting Luna with Desktop Sidebar, the XML-based Productivity aide.

Why not make it something crazy, like the interface Tank uses when he's downloading Ju Jitsu into Neo's brain?

I always use BBLEAN (Blackbox4Win) variant on Windows. That should eventually run on ReactOS, And that's what I'll use!

jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:21 am

I like the Black theme, and the Blue theme.

Saludos :D:D