New reactos interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred » Wed May 17, 2006 12:00 pm

LMH1 wrote:I have fixed some error with windows, name to ROS internet browser and service pack in menu, this is reason i call it Reactos Professional Service pack 6
This is a bug.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Wed May 17, 2006 4:18 pm

The newer pictures are much easier on the eyes. 8)

By the way, JPG images are lossy and bloated. Try PNG -- I get the quality of a Bitmap, with smaller file sizes than JPG. That would make your "screenshots" look more believable.

forart

Post by forart » Thu May 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Ged wrote:If I had a dollar for every time patchworks mentioned #E, I'd be rolling in it ;)
Ged, i know, i'm boring.
But the water can modify a mountain if is persistent.
:roll:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Fri May 19, 2006 12:58 am

Patchworks: You can use SharpE if you like... When it works. However, no amount of persistence will change Explorer's status as default shell. ;)

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Fri May 19, 2006 4:49 pm

Patchworks wrote:Ged, i know, i'm boring.
But the water can modify a mountain if is persistent.
:roll:
That water could probably be doing better things with its life.

MadRat

Post by MadRat » Mon May 22, 2006 4:35 am

Here's another uninteresting idea:

Saw it at kde-apps.org
Go Huskers!

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Mon May 22, 2006 4:15 pm

I really hate to say this, but WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT?! I like the Desktop and theme, but that Start Menu is just way too much. That may work for some people, but I just could not function in an environment like that.

Sorry, it's just my opinion.

kokodin

Post by kokodin » Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm

i must say that graphical start bar is good idea but it must be like windows xp theming (luna/standard) but more open just like winamp skin in bitmaps :D other theming is nonsens because almoust everyone has his one opinion how his os should view this is my opinion about theming

if {name} bitmap found then use it
else use default;
:lol: :D :lol:

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon May 22, 2006 6:30 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, please recall that we actually want people to use ReactOS.

Can you imagine a company using something like the above? Say an accountant running Microsoft Excel, presenting calculations to clients?

If ReactOS is to have any chance of succeding where linux has failed, it needs to be professional. With all due respect, I think this is what a lot of otherwise intelligent people forget.

I am sorry if it seems I only post "keep it clean and simple similar to XP Professional/Win2k Pro", but it is only out of concern for ReactOS. Microsoft is a huge company, do you think they haven't surveyed thousands of users and incorporated tons of feedback into making their desktop easily the most popular desktop around?

As long as we incorporate things that a minority C hackers think are cool but the majority of normal people (professionals, home users) consider worse than useless, ReactOS will never be more popular. Ever.

I don't expect this suggestion to win me any popularity but in the future a "ReactOS Professional" fork (possibly renamed) may be required

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Mon May 22, 2006 8:06 pm

Peter wrote:If ReactOS is to have any chance of succeding where linux has failed
Linux didn't fail.

tsg1zzn

Post by tsg1zzn » Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Matthias wrote:
Peter wrote:If ReactOS is to have any chance of succeding where linux has failed
Linux didn't fail.
The latest Fedora Core installation doesn't boot on my laptop. If I trick the kernel into starting it will get kernel panic.

I presume that's what you'd call "passed with flying colours"?

Seriously, when the users have to compile their drivers from source, then something has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Mon May 22, 2006 9:40 pm

tsg1zzn wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Linux didn't fail.
The latest Fedora Core installation doesn't boot on my laptop. If I trick the kernel into starting it will get kernel panic.
You could try to boot the kernel with the parameter noapic acpi=off, that might help. also try another distribution. Fedora has hardly any quality assurance at all. Judging linux based on one distribution isn't very sensible anyway - Try Kubuntu, maybee that works better. Considering Linux a "failure" is quite ridiculous. Many Companies (Novell, german Railway) and Cities (Munich, Vienna) use it, and i do too.
And in 99% of the cases, you certainly don't have to compile the kernel yourself. I can't believe that such an old myth is still around :(

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Tue May 23, 2006 10:36 am

tsg1zzn You have picked the wrong day to say this really.

I have just tried to install Windows 2003 Standard, Windows XP 64 and Windows XP 32 on a new motherboard. Guess what not one works. Go online find out that I have to slipstream the installation disk with the right drivers. F6 does not work for the problem. Linux when on with a minor hitch ie noapic acpi=off required to install then install the drivers for Linux and everything was good. Note you standard Laptop XP disk most likely comes prepatched. If you had of got it as a bare laptop then tried to install a standard XP you most likely would have had hell.

Due to it being my own system I cannot use our central image. Its also patched with drivers and would work perfectly on my new system.

Most cases with Linux you can get it installed even if its only text only then correct the kernel or the drivers to fix the problem.

Linux is ment to kernel panic if there is something critically wrong. Better to bail out than break you laptop for good. Windows Install Kernel panic does not tell you it just reboots. Windows is prepared to run past more errors than Linux. Linux normal needs flags to say ok just go past that and don't touch. Where Windows goes past still will touch it and crash for no good reason half way threw a install.

Users have to compile their drivers from source because companys keep on refusing to go Open Source or Interface Specs. Nothing wrong really Nvidia and ATI run script are not to bad. Half the problem with Windows XP 64 is the lack of means to get drivers. Not like you can hire anyone to write it since you first have to reverse the old driver.

I guess Linux passed did it damage anything or did it bail out first. Bailing is a pass. Not Bailing and breaking something is not exceptable. Not giving good reason why is also not exceptable.

By the way is you Windows OS running stablely. A few systems that Linux would not install on had bad ram. Yes windows was running not stablely but Linux would just kernel panic. Safetys where kicking in.

kokodin

Post by kokodin » Tue May 23, 2006 11:54 am

nice discussion but it is subject for new topic :D here we talking about "new reactos interface" or something like that :D (in my opinion)

ok here i have my idea
skinable status bar with my art skin it is symilar to reactos themeset colours (blue) and i think that it looks nice
i must add that skining/theming or something else isn't that important like stability or compatybility to windows :D and this skining idea is only one more idea :D

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Tue May 23, 2006 2:51 pm

That looks readly Nice kokodin Please pardon the vent above kokodin after 2 days on problem temper gets a little short.