New reactos interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

LMH1

New reactos interface?

Post by LMH1 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:22 pm

I have make picture of new reactOS design see:

Tell me what you think about this, it is great?
Can this be in new reactos OS?
Last edited by LMH1 on Fri May 19, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Re: New reactos interface?

Post by ThePhysicist » Sun May 14, 2006 8:32 pm

LMH1 wrote:Tell me what you think about this, it is great?
Do you really want to know my opinion? ... Really? ... Ohhmmm .... grrrrr .... :? Image
Sorry, only my humble opinion.
:twisted:

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun May 14, 2006 8:50 pm

Perhaps you should work a bit on shadows and smoother looking Windows. And I would use a wallpaper and a not so dark color.

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sun May 14, 2006 11:26 pm

During my time on the forums, I have noticed one thing. The design suggestions posted here will never be incorporated into ReactOS.

My feelings about the design -- It looks too hand-drawn, and a little bit 80's. If you could blend it better, seriously revise the color scheme, and add some gradients, it could be a little more acceptable.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Mon May 15, 2006 3:05 am

Design suggestions have to build there own code base in time. If good enough will make it back into main tree. Ie the extra desktops. That was a suggestion.

3 major faults
Colors don't work Reminds me of a old black and white interface too much. Use ROS default colors when working on a proto. Don't try doing colors unless doing a theme. Better to take colors from theme some where. I guess you are just as bad as me with them. Black on dark grey to hard on eyes.

If buttons are curved cannot change mind on the search button. Ie all the same.

Always check work of spelling mistake. Reactos Internett explorer(Typos don't make it look good)

Buttons need to be attacked by http://www.inkscape.org/ Or something else than can do nice curves.(this can be later on process)

I with hold judgement. Looks like it might be good with a few fixes. Ok I understand centering the OK in the OK button can be a little trickly. Heck reactos current one has miss alignments so I forgive that.

I will be polite about this. Some one asks for option tell them what is wrong. A one line answer /or One word does not help them.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Mon May 15, 2006 4:49 am

Are you colorblind?

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Mon May 15, 2006 5:28 am

To be honest, it looks absolutely appaling to me. It looks direful :(

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie » Mon May 15, 2006 7:00 am

It looks like XP, with that stupid clock bar they had in the early stages of developing Longhorn (before it was Vista).

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Mon May 15, 2006 7:22 am

cmoibenlepro I suspect LMH1 is like me.

I am not colorblind. Not very color sentitive. Most people don't like shades to close or too far apart ie the right ammount of contrast. I have no visual clue to this. To me the start menu does not look to bad. Desktop color is to bright and has blured in the jpg produciton. If it had not blured it would not be bad to me. You will never see my try to make a color theme I will always take the colors from else where. This person has guts because I would never have even posted it with what I know of myself. Or maybe LMH1 does not know being different in this field of vision.

Now if LMH1 is not like me LMH1 screen settings are off by a large amount. Stuffed up colors lot of different causes. Color blind is the worst. There are many thing in between.

Try to look at it without the color on you mind its not to bad for a starting point. I really think every aggrees the color has a problem.

Note my first web site I made was just shades of red perfectly readable for me when I had the person say to me what are you doing looking at just red screen with no text on it did I release I had a problem.

LMH1

Post by LMH1 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:33 pm

ScoTTie wrote:It looks like XP, with that stupid clock bar they had in the early stages of developing Longhorn (before it was Vista).
What is reactos? wrote:ReactOS is a free and open-sourced operating system based on the Windows architecture, providing support for existing applications and drivers, and an alternative to the current dominant consumer operating system.
If reactos is very like windows why not have very like threme?
Reactos is now very like threme as windows 98 OS is it little old now?

What is stupid with clock bar, is it not more stupit windows has not open source code or windows try to.
EmuandCo wrote:Perhaps you should work a bit on shadows and smoother looking Windows. And I would use a wallpaper and a not so dark color.
It is bad with so dark color it is reason you think it so bad?
I have make new pictures so i hope this is more good.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie » Tue May 16, 2006 5:27 am

I know what ReactOS is, but you talked about the 'new reactos designs' as though they were your own. I was pointing out they they arnt original.

forart

Re: New reactos interface?

Post by forart » Tue May 16, 2006 12:27 pm

LMH1 wrote:I have make picture of new reactOS design see:
Tell me what you think about this, it is great?
LMH1, start from here, not from Luna (XP):

»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Tue May 16, 2006 1:38 pm

If I had a dollar for every time patchworks mentioned #E, I'd be rolling in it ;)

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Tue May 16, 2006 2:49 pm

LMH1 I see you have updated 2 of the images.

Only few little things Reactos most likely will never have Service Pack. Version number up the side. Professional Replace with the word Enterprise. Reactos will not be limited like windows versions I guess.

Please get the typo. Please it just annoys me. My english is not great but still looking at some things. Reactos Internet Explorer. Internet does not have a double t on the end. Just to remove the risk of name trade mark. I would call it Reactos Internet Browser. RIB.

Question about the window with the OK button is that a active Window. Or a inactive one. Grey in the title bar looks like a inactive one. Same with the button. Just wondering how you will handle this. Feed back is require so users just don't keep on clicking.

I guess the Square Search button is on the list of thing to fix yet. Yes I am picky I except a constant style back to user. Is the Square search hiding another menu or something. Some of these things are answers by a click. If the glass is the button the does the search. I would most like put either options or advanced where the word search is so user doing a search does not click on it.

I back Ged I would love to have a dollar for every time patchworks mentioned #E. Personally I think #E is to different from a standard windows system for current users to cope with even Gnome and KDE have moved closer to Windows feel. Yours are not too far out there.

LMH1

Post by LMH1 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:31 am

oiaohm wrote: Only few little things Reactos most likely will never have Service Pack. Version number up the side. Professional Replace with the word Enterprise. Reactos will not be limited like windows versions I guess.
I have fixed some error with windows, name to ROS internet browser and service pack in menu, this is reason i call it Reactos Professional Service pack 6