Any sound designers?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coviti

Any sound designers?

Post by Coviti »

Now, I know this is a little premature, considering we don't even have good sound support in ReactOS, but what the heck.

To make ReactOS a little more appealing to novice users, or those who just like cool sounds, we will eventually need a good system sound scheme. Now please don't start with all the "alpha build" and "functionality comes first" speech; I fully understand that. I just think this is something that those of us with no programming knowledge can work on to make ReactOS a little better.

So, if there is anyone out there who has any experience designing sound, it would be helpful if you could consider designing a few sounds for events like startup, shutdown, logoff, messages, etc.. I'm sure that many users would appreciate it.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sound Support is not that bad. Only Problem is the fact that its the old NT Sound System. They want to add a newer architecture. I have a ReactOS with Sound. 8)
shunt010

Post by shunt010 »

I can't program in C, but I can make a few sounds....

I'll try and make a few, people might like them, people might not!
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

i play in a band from time to time... I think we'd be happy to record a song for ROS, like the radio-thing 'like humans do' shipped with XP. if everyone likes it and agrees sample music should be shipped in the final/beta versions
-graey-
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Great Idea.
shunt010

Post by shunt010 »

Here's a little startup sound I've put together.

I'd appreciate comments. If people like my sort of schemes, then I'll make similar sounds for shutdown, error, etc, etc.

http://gb3nf.t28.net/start.wav

Would appreciate comments. Feel free to use it on React if you want. If it's crap, just tell me!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

shunt010 wrote:Here's a little startup sound I've put together.

I'd appreciate comments. If people like my sort of schemes, then I'll make similar sounds for shutdown, error, etc, etc.

http://gb3nf.t28.net/start.wav

Would appreciate comments. Feel free to use it on React if you want. If it's crap, just tell me!
It's good, but I don't think that it's a good startup theme.
It's too short. :?:
shunt010

Post by shunt010 »

Coviti

Post by Coviti »

I think it's a start. It's not quite long enough for a startup sound, but it would make a good "Question" sound!
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

I'll try to produce something cool in our music studio in Siemacha organization: we have Creative X-Fi and pro software so i'll try to make sth cool.

Do you prefer "classical sounds" like chords, electrinic pianos etc. or could I add some guitar/drums interludes?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

A good guitar riff that grows quickly then fades away would be sweet. Wish I had my old wav file collection.
Go Huskers!
Disease

I would

Post by Disease »

I would rather go for the modern computer sounds (like used in Windows).
Easy and effective. I'm a sound designer myself and that wouldn't be so hard.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok disease put up or shut up time. I would love to hear your sound theme.

Windows ships with about 5 or 6 different sound sets.

Of course licence restriction of gpl has to be obeyed if able or clearly declared why not.

At the end I think we will have a vote off for what should be standard and what should be options.
Disease

Post by Disease »

oiaohm wrote:Ok disease put up or shut up time.
Somehow that doesn't sound friendly to me.

Second of all, I never said I actually made a theme, but I said I preferred the modern computer sounds that are easy to make.

Oh and sorry for mentioning that I am a sound designer myself, you are obviously a billion times better than me, and the world should definately know that, so please go and tell everybody.
Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Okay, please don't start a flaming war. I would like to hear all of your plans and ideas, and then an official vote can be made to decide which one will be included with ReactOS.
oiaohm wrote:Ok disease put up or shut up time.
Please try to be a little more considerate. Disease was just expressing his opinion. :wink: