New Theme Creation Questions

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

1280px

New Theme Creation Questions

Post by 1280px »

Hello, I want to create a ReactOS theme, and I have some questions about it:

Any good software for theme editing? I checked other threads and it seems regular msstyles editing programs are incompatible (StyleBuilder 2.04 refuses to work with ROS styles, as msstyleEditor as well).
If I simply replace every single image resource and some colour properties with Resource Hacker, will it work?

I want to include semi-transparent elements inside of my theme. I can see, most of the parts support 32bit BMP. Is there any 32bit BMP usage limitations?

Also, will it be legal to upload or/and share this theme? I'll credit it's based on Lunar that based on Lautus.

tldr: I want to create a new theme, but IDK how.
dizt3mp3r

Re: New Theme Creation Questions

Post by dizt3mp3r »

With all questions regarding ReactOS the answer from an application or theme level, is to do it the same way you would do it in Windows. Try it in Windows XP, if it works there then it should do the same on ReactOS. If it fails on ReactOS then it is due to a bug in ReactOS. With regard to themeing then it should not be necessary to apply the ux patch on ReactOS that was required for XP, a theme should just apply.

Process? create your Windows XP theme on XP, test it there, try it on ReactOS.

If you want to know the pitfalls of applying a theme on ReactOS then there will be a few posts on this forum re: themes, contact those on the thread who have done it before and read the posts, there might be useful information contained there.

With regard to FOSS components then your new creation should comply to the same licence and give credit where credit is due.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Start

Post by Start »

You can use Resource Hacker.
When the new image is ready, re-save it in Windows XP in Paint.

In the design themes, in Windows XP and ReactOS, transparency, semitransparency is not supported.

To test the themes in Windows XP, use the - UxStyle_Core_Jul13_x86 - https://uxstyle.com/
Illen

Post by Illen »

Hello, Lunar co-author here.
1280px wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm Any good software for theme editing? I checked other threads and it seems regular msstyles editing programs are incompatible (StyleBuilder 2.04 refuses to work with ROS styles, as msstyleEditor as well).
Nope, we did our work by hand. I don't think there is any decent tool for XP style creation/editing.
1280px wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm If I simply replace every single image resource and some colour properties with Resource Hacker, will it work?
I guess, but IMHO setting up ROSBE and working with ReactOS sources is much simpler. You can just apply the changes in theme sources, rebuild a LiveCD and boot it in VM to see the changes.
1280px wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm I want to include semi-transparent elements inside of my theme. I can see, most of the parts support 32bit BMP. Is there any 32bit BMP usage limitations?
I don't think you can have transparency with XP/ROS styles, I also suggest using 24 bit (or lower) BMP format to reduce theme size.
1280px wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 pm Also, will it be legal to upload or/and share this theme? I'll credit it's based on Lunar that based on Lautus.
As long as you credit Lunar, you're free to do whatever you want. Submit it to rapps or share wherever you want.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

There used to be something from the authors of StyleXP, not sure if that's still around / working,
StyleBuilder was that name according to a quick google search.