We NEED a vote!

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Coviti

We NEED a vote!

Post by Coviti » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:19 pm

There are so many designs, icon themes, and other design elements that have been proposed in this forum. I think we should have a vote made (Possibly by a more experienced user than me) which lists every possible design for ReactOS. Then, everybody should vote for their favorite, and the winner would be used as the default. Additional themes should be available simply by clicking a link in the Display Properties Dialog, labeled "Get More Themes", or something like that.

If anyone is interested in setting this up, we could set a definite look for ReactOS, but have additional themes available for those who don't like it.

P.S. There has been a lot of talk about "WindowBlinds". I think that, some time down the road, some members of the ReactOS Developer Team should set out to create a theme engine for ReactOS which is capable of using WindowBlinds themes... Okay, I know that would be way down the road, but it's a thought. I certainly ain't paying that much just to make ReactOS look better!

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:06 pm

Integrating support for the WindowBlinds skin format would be nice, but I wonder about the potential legal issues that may be involved. There's also the issue of memory consumption and slight lag in drawing to the screen that later versions of WB seems to have. Given ReactOS' compatibility level with Windows applications by the time it hits 1.0, WB could be used in the interim while a more efficient theming system is put in place -- one that could not just change even the unchangeable or difficult-to-change elements of Windows' GUI, but also add new features like animations, OS X-like dropshadows, and OpenGL GUI effects.

But yeah, there is the cost of WB to think about. $50 just seems a bit outrageous.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:57 pm

Themes are not yet available in ReactOS, and they are not planned in the forseable future (unless someone decides to start working on it)

MadRat

Post by MadRat » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:47 am

Like Ged said, vote with your code.
Go Huskers!

Coviti

One problem...

Post by Coviti » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:18 am

There's one little problem with that. I DON'T KNOW C! Darn! I am furiously reading every tutorial I can find and I am seriously considering ordering some books on the subject, but I won't be coding for a long time. I really would love to help out with the project; that's the reason I'm trying to learn C, but the tutorials are not sufficient, and I really haven't got much spare time.

Yeah, it stinks! I do plan to join as a developer after I take some college courses in C and C++, but that's a little ways away. I still think there should be a vote on default icon sets, desktop themes, windows appearance, etc., none of which require any programming know-how. THIS was the reason I started this topic, to see if anyone is willing to start an official vote on the default ReactOS look. I seriously want to help you guys out, but don't count on it for about 5 years! DARN IT!

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:43 pm

and I thought someone already said there was a working uxtheme.dll written, that it just didnt work in ROS yet, but that it was tested in Windows XP?
-graey-

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:37 pm

you need more than just a working uxtheme.dll for themes.

I'm currently working on an overhaul of the base theme in an effort to make it cooler and slightly more Windows like.

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:20 am

Firebrand wrote:Integrating support for the WindowBlinds skin format would be nice, but I wonder about the potential legal issues that may be involved.
Sorry about resurrecting a dead topic, but I came across this on the internet, which seems to indicate that the WindowBlinds technology is not patented!

http://www.wincustomize.com/articles.as ... =83449&c=1