Deutsche Fenster für BEFEHLE

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Deutsche Fenster für BEFEHLE

Post by dizt3mp3r »

In 2040 an email dropped through my email inbox (I was still using email even though it had long been banned for not being CO2 neutral), and this was my last day of using my faithful old core2duo that had stood me in good stead for 30 years - when I noticed one last email. The date on this email was rather strange and it appeared as being from 1940... some anomaly I though to myself and in fact that is exactly what it turned out to be.

This email was in reality from 1940 and it was of course caused by the recent problems with the Large Hadron Collider opening up the wormhole we are all now very familiar with in 2040. Some anarchist type had thrown a working copy of the ReactOS Operating System (as we all know ReactOs is the standard o/s for all government institutions now that Microsoft has gone to the wall following the revolution) and that anachronistic CD had gone through 'The Rift' to disappear into a potential other dimension. It turns out that all the crap that the techies at CERN had been chucking through, just for the fun of watching it disappear, had gone not to another dimension but had in fact, gone back in time to 1940. This CD followed it through.

This was a problem as CERN was situated in an area that was under de-facto control of the Nazis in 1940 and all that useful kit went straight into the hands of Nazi scientists. We have to assume that they cobbled together the various bits of kit to create some sort of working but primitive digital computer using ReactOS as the o/s but with some extreme customisation.

This email described that o/s in some technical detail. It contained a full manual including screenshots for the o/s known officially as "Deutsche Fenster für BEFEHLE".

I'll be dropping some screenshots of that o/s as I extract them from that document. Please be aware that this information is highly secret and should not be published on the internet, neither internet version 1 nor internet version 2.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Deutsche Fenster für BEFEHLE

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Der volume control in in meine neue Betriebssystem
[ external image ]

und

[ external image ]

und diese photo ist meine desktop in meinem Betriebssystem, Deutsche Fenster für BEFEHLE

Meine Befehle o/s (MBOS) needs to be usable in the PzKw V Tiger tank so the interface is rather specific.
Attachments
capture-volume02.jpg
capture-volume02.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 50426 times
capture-volume01.png
capture-volume01.png (158.71 KiB) Viewed 50426 times
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

We followed user requirements EXACTLY.

[ external image ]
Attachments
capture-befehl.png
capture-befehl.png (171.12 KiB) Viewed 50425 times
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

O_o

/me silently goes away calling the number of Arkham Asylum.

Panzerkampfwagen V was not the Tiger, it was the Panther!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Sorry, that was a mistake when using the OCR scanning software from the original German document. There were inevitable mistakes as the original text was in gothic script and of course in German. It was also just an image of the actual document's pages taken with a micro-camera. So, what with the small size, the translation and the scanning there are bound to be the occasional mistake. I may need your skills as a native German speaker to help me translate the originals...

Just to be clear, the software was designed for the Tiger PzKpfw VI but retro-fitted to the PzKpfw IV Ausf F/G as pictured above. It is not recorded whether the Panther PzKpfw V did receive the software but we assume it may have done despite coming into service later than the Tiger.
Attachments
capyure-hitlerdiaries.jpg
capyure-hitlerdiaries.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 50416 times
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The o/s we will refer to as MBOS (meine befehle o/s as it was known colloquially) had a few applications loaded by default, one was the tank identification system used by the crew to determine the weakness of enemy tanks and the advantages of superior German machinery.

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

The source code of the application was actually listed at the end of the document so we aim to recreate it once we have OCR'd the text and managed to find an environment that can /compile the application.
Attachments
firestrike-reactos01.jpg
firestrike-reactos01.jpg (258.32 KiB) Viewed 50423 times
firestrike-reactos02.jpg
firestrike-reactos02.jpg (404.42 KiB) Viewed 50423 times
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Attachments
capture-britishAC.jpg
capture-britishAC.jpg (133.45 KiB) Viewed 50424 times
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Note: A copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica that fell through the same wormhole from 2025 defined the Microsoft Operating Systems Division as "A bunch of useless loonies who were first against the wall when the revolution came"
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Some of the icons extracted from MBOS give a flavour of the what the operating system was like to use on a daily basis...

As more of the icons are recovered I will post them here.
Attachments
group.png
group.png (171.11 KiB) Viewed 50079 times
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You know that I expect you to make a whole OS off it? I mean... It's cyber-/steampunk man ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Of course, you mean RE-create. I will do my best based upon the resources I manage to resurrect.

This is the equivalent of the MBOS desktop ticker feed somewhat similar to our Twitter, 40 word strings from the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, rather than Tweets they were called Befehles...

[ external image ]
Attachments
panzer-weather-search.png
panzer-weather-search.png (153.88 KiB) Viewed 50034 times
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It would seem that the MBOS system was also adapted to work in the KriegsMarine within the Submarine (unterseeboot) fleet.

The attached image shows the stopwatch timer used to determine the time of travel until impact for the sub's torpedoes.
Attachments
u_boat_dual_time_clock.jpg
u_boat_dual_time_clock.jpg (318.1 KiB) Viewed 49948 times
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Deutschen Fenstern für Befehle
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ja, of course. Unfortunately I am the only person translating the old German documents into English due to the Corona virus.
I am hoping you are volunteering your services to assist?
gonzoMD

Re: Deutschen Fenstern für BEFEHLE

Post by gonzoMD »

No. Without N is correct.