10%
No.
33%

Total votes: 21

Reactions

Design Team

Post by Reactions »

Hi all,
(Developers, I'm not spamming since no one responded to both pms I sent, so please don't ban me again.)

Should we have a Design Team that specifically works on design integration? That way it will be less of a load on devs to integrate themes and such. What do you all think?
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
karlexceed

Re: Design Team

Post by karlexceed »

What work specifically would a design team do? Would they be given permissions to commit things to GitHub without review? Who is in charge? Who has oversight?
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

:) They (or I for now maybe) would manage to what goes into the main release, with a positive consensus of course. They would add icons, backgrounds, and more. I'm hoping that devs would code check so that it isn't breaking the OS.
Last edited by Reactions on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think you should be in charge of everything. You could become a ReactOS uber Fuhrer.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:49 am I think you should be in charge of everything. You could become a ReactOS uber Fuhrer.
Please take this seriously.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

There's simply not enough need right now. Plus, if anyone where to be given this sort of responsibility by the devs or the community at large, right now it would probably be offered to @p01arst0rm if they wanted to do it.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

karlexceed wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:48 am There's simply not enough need right now. Plus, if anyone where to be given this sort of responsibility by the devs or the community at large, right now it would probably be offered to @p01arst0rm if they wanted to do it.
Who's to say we can't both be on it?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Reactions wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am Who's to say we can't both be on it?
How can you prove you're the right person for such responsibility? Do you have any actual contributions to the ReactOS design? :roll:
karlexceed wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:48 am If anyone where to be given this sort of responsibility by the devs or the community at large, right now it would probably be offered to @p01arst0rm if they wanted to do it.
There are many people in the community who contributed to the design (this includes themes, wallpapers, icons, and other media), especially I remember Pi_User5, p01arst0rm, and foxlet, but obviously the list of volunteer designers is much greater.
karlexceed wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:48 am There's simply not enough need right now.
:point_up: This. ReactOS needs qualified and interested programmers and engineers right now, visual appearance can wait.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

binarymaster wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Reactions wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am Who's to say we can't both be on it?
How can you prove you're the right person for such responsibility? Do you have any actual contributions to the ReactOS design? :roll:
I'm working on redoing a majority of the icons. AKA Project Iconaissance. I know it's delayed, but I only have one more week of exams, so please bear with me.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

I think you're trying to over-organize. You are free to contribute whatever you wish to the project, there's no need for a "design team" or any such thing.
This works the exact same way for code contributions -- the only reason people get added to a "development team" is that over time, their contributions will require less and less review and the overhead of having to have somebody else merge the changes becomes greater than the "danger" of letting that person merge them directly. This generally occurs very naturally, and there is no need to organize things in advance, nor do we generally consider it a good idea to give people such power without the matching proven track record of high quality contributions.
In short, if you want to contribute designs, you are already part of the design team!
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

Ok, thanks!
ThunderLand

Post by ThunderLand »

I was wondering if you are going to change the taskbar.
The classic Windows 95/98 taskbar is fine,but I think that ReactOS would look quite better with an original taskbar.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Uuuuuh.... [ external image ] You did not try ROS the last... 3 years, did you?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Walt

Post by Walt »

"Every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend
to meet any new situation by reorganization, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization."
- Attributed to Petronius Arbiter, AD 65

The only meaningful way to evaluate any organization is to look at the product. ROS is FINE, the design is in accordance with the goals, it seems utterly free of weirdness and it is progressing. I'm impressed by the deft cleverness . (That snap to edges thing, for example, is a beaut.) Therefore the organization is sound.

Beyond that I sort of feel how it's organized is none of my business.

I think the rest of us should (1) USE ROS -- it's fine for casual browsing now if you don't need sound or video -- and (2) DONATE what we can.