Blue theme for ReactOS

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shawhifox

Blue theme for ReactOS

Post by Shawhifox »

I always use blue themes in all my desktop OS so I decided to give a try and make a modification of Lautus with a blue scheme. In the end I looked at the Luna and Royale themes for XP, and this is what I have done so far (only window borders, border buttons, loading bar and radio button). Buttons are animated and get darker when on hover and keypress.

Thoughts? :)

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

I still have to change the font colors, text background color and the taskbar.
karlexceed

Re: Blue theme for ReactOS

Post by karlexceed »

I like it, but the black taskbar seems a bit out of place.

You may also want to look into some of the recent work done by p0larstorm. If I remember correctly, they discovered that some of the images used in the Lautus theme may have been ripped from an official Microsoft theme.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Which parts? I will redraw those. :( can't find any posts by that username.

I didn't work on the taskbar yet. Do you think it will look better with a start button with the same color as the taskbar, or I should go with the green?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It's looking good. I'd carry the blue theme to the taskbar and try it for size.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Shawhifox wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm can't find any posts by that username.
You can contact him in our chat.reactos.org :)
p01arst0rm

Post by p01arst0rm »

i see. You are aware of the noble theme that i started working on nearly a month ago now? maybe you should help with that instead of re-inventing the wheel

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-15865
p01arst0rm

Post by p01arst0rm »

( to elaborate, please come help work on the noble theme. If you are around and want to work on this stuff, there is lots to learn )
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Of course not, if I knew it I wouldn't start another theme :( . I guess it can still be recycled to anything else changing the bar buttons and the start. My idea wasn't to make a complete copy but to do a mix of Lautus Luna and Royale.

I'll have to look how to use jira and see if I can help with it. A lot of this stuff is new to me.

Meanwhile, this is how the theme was at this point:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RGVu1 ... cYYxdFNsLg
p01arst0rm

Post by p01arst0rm »

That was also my idea; but for now some stuff is placeholder and other stuff is for testing. I should note that the themes I have been working on have their own git repositories and build scripts to help make things more accessible. They are also pretty verbose (not as much as i'd like, though). Soon, we are planning on writing up some documentation and I'm looking for people to help with that too :p
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

To me it was the first time I ever worked on a theme so it was an experiment too to learn how they work by modifying the Luatus theme and slowly replace each .bmp after recoloring and redrawing it. I never participated in the development of any software so I'm not familiarized with the tools to to upload and synchronize the work either. I tried to install ROSBE with not too much luck, I have to try it again.

Anyways only a few buttons remained and I think it was ~90% of what I had planned. I made a simpler version removing the glossy textures and using only a few colors, how does it look now? The close button only lights up on hover:

Before:

[ external image ]

After:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

By the way, seems we where not the only working in the same idea:

https://github.com/sagudev/SunXP

:lol:
p01arst0rm

Post by p01arst0rm »

As i have explained before, using lautus as a base is a hassle and it means that someone has to go over it in the future to fix the weird not-right things that lautus does. I have a lautus patch coming soon that isnt ready yet, but be warned, theres some weirdness in the lautus theme that should not be replicated
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Is it really that bad? I've seen some glitches but at first I thought they were caused by ReactOS. At least those that I remember were replicable with the official luna and royale themes.

When I have some more time I want to check carefully what you are doing and give a hand if I can :)

Also, since the original lautus is licensed under the GPL here are the bitmaps and other files I modified:

Blue lautus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i92TqJ ... sp=sharing

Simple blue lautus:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ArxlKP ... sp=sharing

In case it can be useful to somebody.