Start menu theming

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

yesno77

Start menu theming

Post by yesno77 »

One thing I notice in applying themes to ReactOS is that the Start menu is basically left intact regardless of the theme that’s applied.

I know this is a cosmetic thing, and I know ReactOS is far from done, but do the developers of ReactOS plan on allowing themes to also change the look and feel of the Start menu, regardless of whether it’s the classic (Win95-style) Start menu, or the modern menu once ReactOS is further along in the development cycle to where they could focus more on these niceties?
binarymaster

Re: Start menu theming

Post by binarymaster »

Just check how Windows draws classic Start menu when themed. If there are inconsistences in ReactOS, open a ticket in JIRA bug tracker (but remember, one ticket per particular problem).

See existing known theming problems in linked tickets with CORE-12285.
Quim

Post by Quim »

yesno77 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am One thing I notice in applying themes to ReactOS is that the Start menu is basically left intact regardless of the theme that’s applied.

I know this is a cosmetic thing, and I know ReactOS is far from done, but do the developers of ReactOS plan on allowing themes to also change the look and feel of the Start menu, regardless of whether it’s the classic (Win95-style) Start menu, or the modern menu once ReactOS is further along in the development cycle to where they could focus more on these niceties?
Do you tested it also Windows 7 themes?
cb88

Post by cb88 »

Quim wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 pm
yesno77 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am One thing I notice in applying themes to ReactOS is that the Start menu is basically left intact regardless of the theme that’s applied.

Do you tested it also Windows 7 themes?
Why, ReactOS targets XP feature wise. So, don't expect windows 7 themes to work... I'd much rather Windows 7 APIs used by software like Firefox be supported than themeing.