ReactOS icon set

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:37 pm

counting_pine wrote:OK, thanks. Just to confirm, the pink border is gone:)
Great! :)
counting_pine wrote:I don't know if this link is of any use to you, it basically explains the convention that Microsoft has adopted with Windows XP icons. I know their icons have a different style, but the article gives some advice, e.g. to use one perspective grid for all icons, but it gives suggestions of where a straight-on look might be better.
Well, I never intended to mimick XP in any way, because I hate its childish look with oversimplified icons. I also don't like the perspective-grid philosophy (see how bad it looks on the drive icons in XP). In any case I've read that article, yes (would I be allowed to call myself an icon designer if I hadn't? ;)). I think I'll write up a fancy explanation on why I choose my perspectives and just be done with it. I don't really feel like redoing any of my current icons now (except for the folder one, which needs a makeover).

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:29 pm

There are things I don't like about the Windows XP appearance, like the Luna theme, which I prefer to do without (ever tried to close an almost-maximised window, and accidentally closed the fully maximised window behind it?)
I have to say, I don't mind the Windows XP icon style, though, and don't think the drive icons look too bad, but I wouldn't mind hearing any other objections to the perspective grid. Personally, I like the way it helps give the icon style more consistency.

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Ta-dah! Here we are guys.

That's the latest SVN build. Wee!

Elledan

Post by Elledan » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:43 pm

mf wrote:Ta-dah! Here we are guys.

[img]http://www.bsicpxt.com/reactos/new_icons.jpg[img]

Okay, I realize that it's a bit late to say this, but isn't the ROS logo a bit bland?

Looking at the above image, and then at my current Win2k desktop, the ROS logo looks like it lacks colour. Just a few touches of blue (not greyish-blue) would help.

Other than that, congratulations! :)

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:08 pm

I really like the icon. I've just sean it on the wiki.

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:13 am

There's a nice surprise, if and when Fireball wakes up and does his thing ;).

SwissCM

Post by SwissCM » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:30 am

Elledan wrote:
mf wrote:Ta-dah! Here we are guys.

[img]http://www.bsicpxt.com/reactos/new_icons.jpg[img]

Okay, I realize that it's a bit late to say this, but isn't the ROS logo a bit bland?
I think its perfect. I hate stupidly over-colourful logos and GUIs. MacOSX is quite purdy, and has a mostly grey colour scheme.

Meklort

Post by Meklort » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:08 am

SwissCM wrote: I think its perfect. I hate stupidly over-colourful logos and GUIs. MacOSX is quite purdy, and has a mostly grey colour scheme.
I have to agree, keep it simple.

MadRat

Post by MadRat » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:33 pm

I kind of like Stardock's idea using PNG files for icons:

Go Huskers!

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:17 pm

MadRat wrote:I kind of like Stardock's idea using PNG files for icons
Sadly, PNG does not include multiple color depths and sizes. So tough luck, we're stuck with age-old .ico ;).

mjs

Post by mjs » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:36 pm

What about using MNGs instead?

Regards,
Mark

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:38 pm

Why not reinvent the wheel instead?

Floyd

Post by Floyd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:06 am

MadRat wrote:I kind of like Stardock's idea using PNG files for icons:

MadRat, i was just going to post that.

I LOVE (*heart*) Stardock's ObjectDock. I was using the linux Crystal SVG/PNG icon set and have since switched to the Kids SVG/PNG icon set. I would dearly love to see PNG icons for ReactOS (dual support). Besides, ObjectDock does a wonderful job of scaling the icons, and dealing with changes of color depth. Why couldn't ReactOS? (Windows does this as well; the coping aspect, not necessarily PNG--though if you rename a .bmp file to .ico Windows can use that as an icon).
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:12 pm

I would really like support for pngs/mngs as icons. mng icons than actually animated when you placed your mouse over it would be cool!

mf
Developer

Post by mf » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Once ReactOS is mature enough it'll support ObjectDock out of the box with a little luck. That said, PNG and MNG are NOT icon formats. They are just as much an image format as JPEG and GIF, and do not lend themselves to icon usage. Support for it is useless. If you want eyecandy in ReactOS, come back in a few years. Till then, stick with your WinXP with WindowBlinds, ObjectDock, DesktopX, CursorXP, and LogonStudio skins whacked all over it. There are however also people that use their computers for useful things instead.