New theme was added

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrmajik45

New theme was added

Post by mrmajik45 »

There is a theme that was recently merged to ReactOS called "Modern" please note it is not fully developed but mostly done. Expect minor changes. CORE-13020 https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/698
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
SoupBowl

Re: New theme was added

Post by SoupBowl »

Haven't seen a screenshot yet but i have read its based off the look of Windows 10.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Windows 10 design, but to each their own i suppose.

Also it looks like it has 2 names Polar & Modern or is that a misunderstanding?
oldman

Post by oldman »

SoupBowl wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 pm Haven't seen a screenshot yet but i have read its based off the look of Windows 10.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Windows 10 design, but to each their own i suppose.

Also it looks like it has 2 names Polar & Modern or is that a misunderstanding?
The screenshots are in CORE-13020
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

SoupBowl wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:06 pm Haven't seen a screenshot yet but i have read its based off the look of Windows 10.
Personally I'm not really a fan of the Windows 10 design, but to each their own i suppose. ...
It looks to me to be based of Win7, not 10. Win10 looks like Win7, because it is based off of the Win7 look... because of user complaints(AKA the bad stuff that came with Win8, and some of which and more is still present in Win10).
*blank*
p01arst0rm

Post by p01arst0rm »

Its is not based off windows 7 in any way.

the light mode has been finished up and a new PR has been submitted.

https://github.com/reactos/reactos/pull/1424

expect more themes to come.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I've watched you showing the theme being built on Mattermost, personally I 'dislike' that particular style myself but I do appreciate all the hard work and understand that many will find it useful and as a result think it more 'modern' than the ReactOS classic theme derived from the old Windows classic style. It has a professional look that is undeniably attractive and will portray ReactOS in a better light to many.

As for naming, 'TeleTubbies' I'd call it myself. :) < please ignore my own prejudices! A mere joke.

PS. All those chaps saying based "off of" and based "off", it is meant to be "based on" or "based upon" as that theme is based upon an existing theme. The idea could also be expressed as being "taken from" a theme. Forgive the correction - I'm sure someone will hate me - but the portmanteau of the two different combined phrases is frustrating to hear again and again. US English I suppose. ;)

PPS. My own theme is back on the cards but you can guess the style and how unappealing it will be to many.
https://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic ... =steampunk
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18181&p=135593#p135593

What I will be able to achieve, given the limitations of theme-ing, is likely to rein in my efforts somewhat.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Which program or process can be used to create themes for ReactOS? I was looking at it yesterday but all I was able to find is a program from back when XP was still alive, but it uses Luna as a template and I want it to be clean from copyright.

In the end I made a quick test using the resource hacker tool to see what was inside the msstyle file and used the Lautus pics edited with Gimp to make it look a bit blue:

[ external image ]

The ReactOs start icon looks quite nice in blue.

[ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Shawhifox wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:53 am Which program or process can be used to create themes for ReactOS? I was looking at it yesterday but all I was able to find is a program from back when XP was still alive, but it uses Luna as a template and I want it to be clean from copyright.
The themes are resource-only DLLs. In ReactOS, you can find these here: https://github.com/reactos/reactos/tree ... dia/themes .
Each sub-directory corresponds to one theme-DLL. In each of these you find the resources associated, and the cmakefiles compilation rule file for it.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

So all the colors (like the selected items in the dialogs or the text labels below the icons) are images too?
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Shawhifox wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:36 pm So all the colors (like the selected items in the dialogs or the text labels below the icons) are images too?
No, these settings are stored in the corresponding INI files, which are also integrated in theme.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

It seems that I'm unnable to understand how to build the .msstyle file. I tried to install ROSBE by following the wiki but I get errors after downloading the source code about building ninja and that CMake will not be able to generate the project.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Shawhifox wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:57 am It seems that I'm unable to understand how to build the .msstyle file. I tried to install ROSBE by following the wiki but I get errors after downloading the source code about building ninja and that CMake will not be able to generate the project.
It would be better if you opened a new topic in Support, stating the operating system you are using, what you were doing to get these errors and what are the errors that you are seeing. Then someone may be able to help you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.