graphics

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

nitrofurano

Post by nitrofurano »

about graphics, i were saying more about whole design norm related to ReactOS, not exactly GUI, theme, or anything

a graphic design norm is, for the typographic example, how Apple Garamond is applied on Mac related stuff, or how Franklin Gothic is applied on Microsoft and Windows stuff (for ReactOS i'd bet on Vera, for historical reasons ;-) ) - the colours were about which colours are used, constrasts - how should be the composition grids and how are they applied, and so on....

i'm talking about this because i think this is important on ReactOS project (tell me your oppinion...)
_______

but so, telling now about GUI:
nitrofurano: at least reactos should have a classic basic standard gui without skinning like xp provides it.
so the competition should have 2 parts:
a nice slightly fresh design for the classic gui (like win95 differs from xp classic view -> nice icon set, some colorchanges, some border changes and so on..) - AND - a design for the standard theme (like una is xp's standard theme).
i hope u understand what i mean
yes and no, as you can see below:

were me the one who suggested to use Everaldo icons on ReactOS, for example (and Everaldo himself loved the idea on having his icons on ReactOS distributions) - as well, having available for choose other iconpaxs got from sites like kdelook.org is not bad idea... - my first idea were using the iconpax.icl format for realtime system icon choosing...

another idea i had is you being able to use KDE and Gnome themes as easy you can with XP themes (but it can be in a more technical issue i'm not so comfortable)

otherwise - the default GUI from MacOS-X is clean and looks excellent, and there's no skin or theme over it - of course, for compatibility, maybe ReactOS GUI drawing core should follow w32 api (as well on Wine project), but i'm not against anyone should bet on a simpler and faster GUI core would be 100% compatible with w32 api - got my point about GUI?
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

i want a simple win32-ish look with later themes support because people
will want it, but i want speed first!!

speed, stability -> reliability should become one of primary goals of reactos.
nothin2g

Post by nothin2g »

i want a nice looking classic win32 gui with nifty updates and nice icons ;)
HUMA2000

Post by HUMA2000 »

I prefer a more powerfull GUI than windows one, but anyway a windows one is necesary, but need to be more powerfull than original one ;) bettet look, faster, more stable. :)
Theme support isn't important I want speed and theme support under windows GUI make is slower :x
React_dude

Post by React_dude »

We should be able to have the user make the choice for what icons for dives,message boxes,.... by a skinning idea but skinning over nothing that way you can truley change how React OS looks,feels, and acts.
We need a react OS Update. How would we get by wih out it.
ZephyrXero

Post by ZephyrXero »

Isn't it counter productive to have ReactOS look just like WindowsXP? Isn't the whole purpose to make a BETTER version of Windows? So, following everything Microsoft has deemed a standard....what purpose is there for using ReactOS, if it's exactly the same?
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

It's NOT "the same" by a longshot, nor I think will it be when it's @ Version 1.0.0, but avoiding what MS does JUST because "MS does that" isn't going to make us the right friends, IMO.

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
ZephyrXero

Post by ZephyrXero »

"but avoiding what MS does JUST because "MS does that" isn't going to make us the right friends, IMO.
That's not what I meant at all. I think MS has some very good ideas in some places, but to limit ReactOS to their ideas, instead of trying to think of even better ones, would be pointless...
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

In the end it'll probably end up with a way of changing the themes and icos like Windows does, I don't know what else would be beyond that...

-uniQ
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Opensource Free operatingsystem is the point

Post by Jaix »

An Opensource Free operatingsystem with no lerning curve is the point. When time is right or just someone wants it bad enough more features will be added, but first things first. The operating system must be stable and compatible before cosmetics is important.
ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de »

Where can I get a good ReactOS logo with the ReactOS atom and a small text? I will need this for submitting news relating ReactOS in some german forums.
The ReactOS-atom how its published on wikipedia itself is to less I think:
[ external image ]

It should be like the header on the reactos.com site, but a bit smaller and without the user-site text:
[ external image ]

Something like that:
[ external image ]

Is there already some stuff? If not it would be nice when somebody could create one.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Scalable Vector Logo for ReactOS

Post by Jaix »

I have made a Scalable Vector Logo for ReactOS, it's much like the ordinary logo with the difference it is in vector format, in this way it's possible to change size of it easy with high quality. I didn't have the bitmap for the inside of the atom, but I tried to create a similar, I didn't succeed perfectly, but anyway.
You can have a look here:
http://teknoskand.dyndns.org/reactos/ReactOS.htm
http://teknoskand.dyndns.org/reactos/