NT 5.2 Build

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

babybearjs

NT 5.2 Build

Post by babybearjs »

so, you guys are trying to reinvent windows 2000 huh??? so far, no good.... system is too shaky and unstable... mouse pointer is poor as well as the basic build.... I took your OS for a test run and I think you guys are way off.... the remixes of windows XP run better then yours.... no driver DB.... no wallpapers.... all the "ReactOS" is, is an attempt to recreate something that actually worked.... by the way.... what browser supports your system? you don't even have one of those installed.....so much for creativity.....
dizt3mp3r

Re: NT 5.2 Build

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I have a feeling that you are one of those people that install something without reading the instructions.

Your use of ... continuously in your text only underlines that thought...

Here are the instructions that might help get you back on track:
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Installing_ReactOS
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

It is good to do some research before you pipe in with snide comments! ReactOS is in Alpha development stage, which means it is not ready to support normal desktop use yet, And you would know that if you read just a tiny bit of this forum!

Currently the only web browser installed by default is the WINE internet explorer. You can get to it by typing "WIN" + "R", and then in the window typing iexplore.exe + "ENTER".

The goal of ReactOS is to create an operating system that can support and run software made for the NT Architecture. This includes Win7+, even though we're not there yet. (And probably won't be for some time.)

Have you ever thought of donating to accelerate the project? Not even a little bit? I mean, how about contributing instead of um, lets say, insulting the project? The development of this project has only been going for 40+ years! And in that time I think that there have been great improvements in software compatibility, hardware support, and OS stability.

Just a thought.
-Regards.
*blank*
Mcpg

Post by Mcpg »

Let's analyze what you just wrote here.
system is too shaky and unstable...
Of course it is, the system is in Alpha stage, it doesn't have dozens of developers working full-time on it
no driver DB....
I don't know what you mean by that. There's ReactOS Application Manager, here you can actually install a few drivers.
no wallpapers...
I think that stable releases actually ship with one wallpaper. You just need to set it in settings (Right Click on desktop -> Properties and here just search for the wallpapers)
all the "ReactOS" is, is an attempt to recreate something that actually worked....
As I said first, ReactOS doesn't have programmers working on it full-time. Aand, while Windows is closed-source, ReactOS is open-source (and in its current state some people can use the source code to see, how the NT kernel works, which is nice).
by the way.... what browser supports your system? you don't even have one of those installed.....
As somebody mentioned before, Wine Internet Explorer is installed by default, but ReactOS Application Manager offers you some outdated Firefox versions for download (meanwhile they aren't that useless)

It seems, that you've expected too much from ReactOS and thought it'd run everything what you need. It's really bad, that the main site doesn't actually tell visitors, that many applications may not work in the current state of ReactOS, so disappointments in this style are happening.

By the way, what's with the thread name "NT 5.2 Build"?

---
Regards, Mcpg
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Blitzen_Dóiteán wrote:The development of this project has only been going for 40+ years!
Please do not spread false information. The project has been alive since 1998 so roughly 20+ years, not 40.

As for the OP, do you realise ReactOS is in Alpha, right? Or did you just ignore the warn by any means?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

babybearjs wrote:so, you guys are trying to reinvent windows 2000 huh???.
Uuuh, nope. NT 5.2 is the current aim. I leave it up to the skilled reader writing this "post" to find out what this is.
babybearjs wrote:system is too shaky and unstable... mouse pointer is poor as well as the basic build.... I took your OS for a test run and I think you guys are way off....
Ever heard of alpha status? Ever heard of reading before posting? Don't think so! That way you just became the new moderator's toy in here. Sad, but true... :twisted:
babybearjs wrote:the remixes of windows XP run better then yours.... no driver DB.... no wallpapers.... all the "ReactOS" is, is an attempt to recreate something that actually worked....
Well, then I recommend you quickly go back to these illegal remixes and leave us open source ppl writing our own legal and free Windows alone. Whoever believes a wallpaper is a sign of stability is very wrong here! No clue of licenses, no clue of costs, no clue of finding the entrance to kindergarten every morning, but believing to be the uber boss? Naaah, not here, my dear friend...
babybearjs wrote:by the way.... what browser supports your system? you don't even have one of those installed.....so much for creativity.....
Install one and you will see. Another reading before posting would be a good idea case. Otherwise you would know that we include what we build by ourselves. Everything else is up to the user. This is a minimal approach. Very useful for alpha status to have faster build times for regression testing.

And because you insulted the whole project in your first post, you are free to come back in 10 days. This is the time I offer you as gift to think about your way to talk to others on the internet. Cya 8-)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Hello.

I think this is posted in the wrong subforum; this discussion doesn't seem design-oriented.

ROS is currently being built for Windows Server 2003 compatibility, not WIndows 2000. (As you said, NT 5.2, not 5.0).

Shaky and unstable in what way? The mouse pointer is poor? How do you mean?

What is a Windows XP remix? Are they built from the ground up with clean code?

What's a driver DB? The software manager, RApps, has a few drivers available in it.

Wallpapers? Really?

Yes, ROS is an attempt to recreate something that worked.

ROS supports pretty much any browser that still runs on XP. I install Firefox from RApps and it works well enough. But you're right in that no fully functional browser comes pre-installed.

So much for creativity...? What exactly do you mean?

I fail to see the point of posting in here when you don't seem to understand what this project is. You aren't reporting a specific bug; you seem to be just complaining that alpha grade software isn't as polished as you'd like.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

karlexceed wrote:
What is a Windows XP remix? Are they built from the ground up with clean code?
a modified version of windows xp
karlexceed wrote: What's a driver DB? The software manager, RApps, has a few drivers available in it.
driver database i guessing the op is talking about reactos not having many drivers
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

karlexceed wrote: But you're right in that no fully functional browser comes pre-installed.
ReactOS doesn't need one.
There is already RIE ( ReactOS Internet Explorer ).
RIE is good enough.

What I mean to say is keep the installer lite.
So that users can choose what to install.

( However, special care is needed for new users Who has never used computer before )