Metro theme

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nicu

Metro theme

Post by Nicu »

May i ask, if you trying to make an OS similar to Windows, how will you copy the metro theme?
Konata

Re: Metro theme

Post by Konata »

It's actually called Modern. There's no plans for that right now, all the core team wants to do right now is focus on Server 2003 compatibility, there's no reason in thinking beyond that aside from some structural changes in the kernel introduced in later NT versions. If anyone wants to implement any sort of UWP runtime or Modern interface they're free too, though the question of whether or not it'll be added into the OS is a matter of debate, but that debate will only happen if someone actually provides such a thing.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This is one of the "features" we will stay away from as much as possible. All that UWP crap makes the whole OS look more like a toy in slow as hell which forces 6 month basis major updates which kill 50% of the PCs you install it on and not a reliable OS.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Nicu

Post by Nicu »

Ok, but do you have an idea how you will part ways when the Windows design guidelines will take a turn that can't go back?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Right now we have way more serious problems than Microsoft's so called design guidelines, like USB, stability, compatibility to Win32 API etcetc. This discussion can be held when the times has come to add stupid ideas from MS to improve support aka when the OS is stable enough.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think that Nicu is assuming that ReactOS is a clone of current Windows, at least that is what I gather from his posts.

Nicu, ReactOS is attempting to reproduce driver and application compatibility with NT5 (server 2003), that is systems that are more XP-alike with the NT5 explorer style traditional desktop GUI. The target is not current windows and all the baggage that entails.

In addition, I am not sure whether you are aware but the Metro or Modern theme is not actually a theme. It is a new GUI integrated into the current version of the windows o/s replacing a lot of the NT5 GUI altogether. With the new GUI from MS, themeing for Windows has more or less been abandoned.

The good thing about ReactOS is that when it is a mature and stable o/s developers (you, me, ReactOS devs, others) will be able to create their own themes and if anyone wants metro as theme they can add it. It should be easier to theme ReactOS than it will be to theme Windows. However, I should imagine that any metro interface on ReactOS will still be only a theme and possibly a collection of add-ons that simulate metro rather than a re-implementation of metro.

PS. Nicu please use 'you' in your posts rather than 'u'. :) Grown-ups here.

Mod EDIT: Don't worry, grown up filter successfully applied.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Nicu

Post by Nicu »

Thank's for clarification. It's these stupid biases that make OS'es bad. I'd expand if u want an interesting discussion.

However, it's just that for me it's a great philosophical question. I like many things in Windows, one thing i don't like is their clay-like gui. Mac, Linux seem all to go wrong in the rendering and graphics for the user (they are as if blurry for me, monotone however colorful) but Windows renders them perfectly. And I can't understand why. How to have an impressive visual OS like Mac and this way of rendering things in Windows that make's it superios in my eyes? Things are just more zoomed-in, u get more information.

Do you feel me?

Only if i could get this beef of Windows in a nice wrapping like that of Apple and of Mac, and it doesn't have to be that frigidly "clean".
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

We 'feel' you.

The flexibility of an open source o/s is one that will be really appreciated by themers and customisers. Freedom from Microsoft's 'paradigm' shifts that try to dictate the way you interact with the computer is just one of the advantages that ReactOS will bring.

Unfortunately, ReactOS is alpha grade at the moment and won't be ready for real-life usage for a while yet. Enjoy testing it though.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Nicu

Post by Nicu »

That's not nice to stuff the topic, keep copying dat 2003 code though.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

Nicu wrote:keep copying dat 2003 code though.
Um? Copying 2003 code? This is rather confusing than understandable, can you please explain what did you just say?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That's not nice to stuff the topic
I didn't understand that bit.
Nicu

Post by Nicu »

I am saying that u are a bunch of nerds that even if you succed 3000 times in a row to make a "Windows-compatible" OS it will still suck because you're closed-minded and nobody will need it except snobs.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Nicu wrote:I am saying that u are a bunch of nerds that even if you succed 3000 times in a row to make a "Windows-compatible" OS it will still suck because you're closed-minded and nobody will need it except snobs.
Are you trying to say I am a snob?

For your information you can fork ReactOS!!!!

When ReactOS is stable enough you will be able to theme it as much as you like.
(This won't require you to be a nerd)

When ReactOS is stable enough you can put bounty for features that you want most. Or if you are a nerd then you can implement them yourself.
You can even do this now if you want.

Being able to become 'close minded people' is freedom.
That's why we have ReactOS.
ReactOS guarantees to give us the right to be selfish as long as we respect others right to be selfish.

Now all that I wrote is crap.
ReactOS's license is GPLv2.
So no matter how close minded we are, we are bound to be at least as free as GPL.
(we means devs and me)
(I am not a ReactOS developer)

I would like to share with you the following quote of Linus Torvalds.
The date is 25 August, 2000.
Linus Torvalds wrote:Talk is cheap. Show me the code.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
Nicu

Post by Nicu »

Nice reply. I am saying that it's a philosophical question u are not smart enough to answer, and me too. But it's important and u think it doesn't matter. Careful not to stumble and hit something and die.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

The perfect answer to your philosophical question is millions of dollars.
The thing is that programmers can program but they can't design.
So they need guidelines.
To make a notepad look sleek we need designers.
We need programmers only for coding.
Back in time Linux was mostly(not fully) designed by programmers.
You know the rest.
On the contrary MS Windows was designed by designers.
Planned by designes. Coded by programmers.
So Windows is the prince of Wesnoth.
Mac OS X is the Elvish princess.
Unfortunately Linux is the Orcs.

Mac OS X is quite Windows like.

However a clear answer would be:
  • Windows can do everything.
    Windows assumes that you are novice.
    Windows uses GUI to only make things easy. Where in Mac OS X it's like no console.(not exactly)
    Linux says 'everything is terminal, terminal is everything'.
    For example Windows has 'Run as administrator' option in the right click menu. On Linux you use sudo on terminal.
    Windows takes advantage of GUI rather than using it to attract people.
    Windows is flexible.
    Windows has a micro-kernel(some people call it hybrid-kernel).
    Linux is just a kernel with gnu userland programs where Windows is a full OS.
I must say that Mac OS X is good too.
It is your ego that prevents you from seeing the truth of Mac OS X.
Open Your Windows To Freedom