Re: Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

naums wrote:Lets keep it plain and simple for once. Give me the Win2K Start menu. Just one bar and stuff and I'm happy. Or at least give me the option to get the old one back :)
I think it should be win7 start menu but have an option to use classic start menu and also allow multiple themes. win2k is outdated and wouldn't appeal to people looking to switch.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

My two cents: Win7's start menu is one of the reasons I went back to XP. The other is how they messed up Windows Explorer. (No, Classic Shell doesn't really fix either.) When the world is already full of Win7-8-10 type menus, another just like 'em isn't special. But for those who prefer XP's way of doing things... we have fewer and fewer options, and an XP clone is attractive, while a Win7 clone is not.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Not important at this stage - the devs are not really interested so much in the idea of an alternative look and feel for ReactOS, getting it to function at all in order to equate some of the functionality found in W2003 is the aim at the moment.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

Good by me. I imagine if someone really wants it, they can write an alternative shell/theme thingee, sort of ClassicShell in reverse.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hi,

1. Not important at this stage, like dizt3mp3r told.

2, why not diffrent dll's who make the Starmenu for use different, switchable,
from Win95 up to for Win10 for win10 lovers..

i guess this want be a option.. or, easy build as a switchable dll
(menu.dll, menuwin95.dll, menu98.dll, menume.dll,menunt4.dll)
and so on.. this dll can maybe have enhanced options via
configurationdialog.. so also the taskbaar, systray and so on..
if this maybe any programming for reactos, an surface with plugins like
lightstep, but with configurations-dialog up to snapins and enhancements.

This is now with Reactos possible, because, the code it is open source and all
can be overviewed with this it is also possible for programming an surface where it is all possible.

Also a Steampunktheme, who it is to the last corner through designed.
with maybe a spezially Desktop Shell with plugins and snapins.
(in 3D/4K 8-) )

KDE (4) for windows was maybe an bit really too early there,
but they should programming now further, because, today it is now kde for windows
testable and working, because... QT works now so far well => Epic win -> QTweb.exe portable like i guess ..

best regards
Blacky
ChaosCloud

Post by ChaosCloud »

Reziac wrote:My two cents: Win7's start menu is one of the reasons I went back to XP. The other is how they messed up Windows Explorer. (No, Classic Shell doesn't really fix either.) When the world is already full of Win7-8-10 type menus, another just like 'em isn't special. But for those who prefer XP's way of doing things... we have fewer and fewer options, and an XP clone is attractive, while a Win7 clone is not.
Agreed. Win7 start menu is awful. I usually end up just typing things to find them, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a menu.
XP style cleans up nicely once the programs are organized - I create groups as follows: applications, games, hardware, maintenance, online.
middings

Post by middings »

ChaosCloud wrote:Win7 start menu is awful. I usually end up just typing things to find them, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a menu.
IIRC, Microsoft's usability labs found that many (most?) people have trouble finding things in menu trees unless they are already very familiar with the menu tree. Many people dump their files in one big pile, then forget the name of the file. So, much of the time many people use Search to find things instead of hunting through menus and folders. Microsoft Windows 7 takes advantage of its improved Search and indexing features to facilitate "just typing things to find them". The menu is secondary.
XP style cleans up nicely once the programs are organized - I create groups as follows: applications, games, hardware, maintenance, online.
I organize the programs on my computer in a similar way. Windows 7 offers a larger number of built-in groups in which to place programs and files in the menu tree. Programs that use the Microsoft Windows 7 logo are expected to use them appropriately. A drawback of Microsoft Windows XP is that so many programs and files are grouped differently on each person's computer.
Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

ChaosCloud wrote:
Reziac wrote:My two cents: Win7's start menu is one of the reasons I went back to XP. The other is how they messed up Windows Explorer. (No, Classic Shell doesn't really fix either.) When the world is already full of Win7-8-10 type menus, another just like 'em isn't special. But for those who prefer XP's way of doing things... we have fewer and fewer options, and an XP clone is attractive, while a Win7 clone is not.
Agreed. Win7 start menu is awful. I usually end up just typing things to find them, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a menu.
You don't know how much easier it is to just type things and find what programs you want.
I even use the start menu to find files and programs, images on my computer without having to open a window.

You should open a virtual box and use windows 7 to search for files, even while using xp you have to spend time searching for where the folder is located on the start menu, it becomes such a huge mess when you have large amounts of files you are relying on memory of where it was last before some new program replaces its location. Also you can pin most used programs or just pin a folder on the start menu.

its a massive improvement over XP, anyone saying otherwise is looking at nostalgia or just simply do not like change.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

^That is mere opinion.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

and exactly because this, different Startmenu as snap in's,
maybe under Resources/Startmenu .
and if we are have the possible to customizing a Start Menu, so why not a folder with /Taskbar.
Therewith would be there to make different start-menu and task-bar, maybe something like mac or other, new invented ..

best regards
Blacky
Konata

Post by Konata »

I like the modular dynamic library-based Explorer idea. That'd really help people not just develop the standard Windows Start Menu versions, but even their own custom ones.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

with this is it also possible for use a Applicationsbar with systray (like rocketbar or the Apple one)
to use and can do his own custom style , modular (desktop modding :mrgreen: )
and the explorer should ever be as tsr, therewith it is also possible to have a Win10 Taskbar and a Startmenu WinXP like
or other around.. so it is custom able. and maybe with a startbar.cpl can this maybe in the control.exe (systemsettings)
managing what for a Startmenu it is using and what for a taskbar . if we have different dll in the folders.
This give the programmer free hand about to programming different startmenu and different taskbar's .
Also it is not bound which Windows/Reactosversion we use, then it is all possible ..and
the Reactos can it self developing like in a rolling Release and the Reactos Surface it is customable.
if you want it, speak with the developers.. maybe also in the irc, i can easy only give suggestions/ideas

best regards
Blacky
Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

dizt3mp3r wrote:^That is mere opinion.
It's not opinion, its Mear FACT. Before you knock it off install a vm and use the search menu yourself, or if you want you can install "Vistart" for xp.
windows xp style was outdated and a hassle.
Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

Blackcrack wrote:with this is it also possible for use a Applicationsbar with systray (like rocketbar or the Apple one)
to use and can do his own custom style , modular (desktop modding :mrgreen: )
and the explorer should ever be as tsr, therewith it is also possible to have a Win10 Taskbar and a Startmenu WinXP like
or other around.. so it is custom able. and maybe with a startbar.cpl can this maybe in the control.exe (systemsettings)
managing what for a Startmenu it is using and what for a taskbar . if we have different dll in the folders.
This give the programmer free hand about to programming different startmenu and different taskbar's .
Also it is not bound which Windows/Reactosversion we use, then it is all possible ..and
the Reactos can it self developing like in a rolling Release and the Reactos Surface it is customable.
if you want it, speak with the developers.. maybe also in the irc, i can easy only give suggestions/ideas

best regards
Blacky
I like the idea of Custom menu's and explorer.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

maybe can the "startbar.cpl also handling exe-files where by login start's, like launchy , the vers.7 of systemexplorer or other addons where makes the Shell more enhanced.. and handle the
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

and by Administrator logon also
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
and
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

with this it is also possible for managing an view the Autorun directly as user or as Administrator.

and the User can handle his own Surface with Start Menu and Taskbar
and the Autostart over Regestry.

like something with/+ handling the Start and Taskbar possibility:
https://web.archive.org/web/20131106030 ... pCPL.shtml
where it is able for klicking a button to garand/give the Admin-control (if need with password)

in startbar.cpl over Systemsettings

best regards
Blacky