Re: Future Start Menu

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hamguy wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:^That is mere opinion.
It's not opinion, its Mear FACT. Before you knock it off install a vm and use the search menu yourself, or if you want you can install "Vistart" for xp.
windows xp style was outdated and a hassle.
Mere fact it definitely isn't, as I said - it is opinion and it is yours. First thing I do on all versions of Windows is to install classicshell and remove all I can of anything that seems Vista-like or Metro. I then have a unified interface across all my systems. It is efficient to have the interface you are familiar with, that is why it is mere opinion as to which is best. There are so many interpretations of an efficient UI that it comes down to personal choice that determines which is the best.

Apple's dock is a great interface to your main apps, it just takes a little getting used to. From that point on power users swear by it.

I do agree with Blacky's point that the ability to customise would be desirable. How that is achieved, I do not know.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
bluetransformer

Post by bluetransformer »

Well, ReactOS's interface is aiming to be like Windows Server 2003's interface. I'll create a start menu app in Windows Forms and I'll give the link to download. ;)
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

and don't forget the possible to skinning like it is standard
in msstyles to be it possible for theme/styles in uniform shape also.
(what i guess to be possible)
Hamguy wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:^That is mere opinion.
It's not opinion, its Mear FACT. Before you knock it off install a vm and use the search menu yourself, or if you want you can install "Vistart" for xp.
windows xp style was outdated and a hassle.
exactly this it is also why should it possible to make it customable, some Peoples like the old one and the other Peoples like the more new.. i like the from VIStart, but why should we not be in the possible to use this as taskbar instead the winXP or the Win7-taskbar .. so, and i guess, the VIStart it is able to make as a dll/snapin .. for have an guaranty if not work/functioning the users snapin(taskbar/starmenu/systray/Desktopbackground (right mouse, Folders (plasma/kde?) and so on)) to have as default the Systemtaskbar/defaultStarmenu and default systray as fallback , for have a working taskbar if the users snapin not works because any error.
With this it is also possible for have a Configuration panel for Administration or Groupleaders for give specially Applications free (like ftpspace as example, lnk directorys in network) in the Startmenu.. (as snapin like the user want.. but with the programs what, if it is make as workgroup and have allow the Groupleader/Administrator) what it is also pretty well in a Factory (as leader of a group or Administrator)
Or as Groupmember in a Workgroup where it is really easy to create a user in Group and do able the programs in the Group what he it is...
But the User can choose what kind of surface he would like use in the Workspace, Win10 like Menu and Taskbar and/or a Win95 Surface as Workspace

Like mac like surface or just a Win311 one with Progman with this it is possible to give the User his possible to choose his/her surface what she/he want. And i guess an Amigalike Surface it is in this possible too.

with a floating systray or snaped in systray .. in the menu on top or on the taskbar on right aligned .. so it is also possible for enable different workspaces like in Plasma/kde as cube, letters or how ever .. and it is able to have snapins like in KDE4.5/Plasma .. because, the user it is in able for build up his surface like - he/she - want..

And all this could be possible for have a "Shellconfigurations(cpl)" with group Directives/Guidelines in work groups and other separations/subdivisions in an Factory with the possible for hang in in ldap or something .. to be it possible also to use this n Factorys as Group leader/administrator and so on...
for giving free to use in group as example Libreoffice or Gimp for Graphic artists and so on..
and any can have his surface who he/she it is at home and have the best possible space to be productive in the highest level, because, she/he feels really well then and also really at home .

That's why it has ever suggested allowing snapins (Startmenu/Taskbar (and maybe a own standard filemanager as snapin, win311/winxp/win7/win10/maclike or totalcmd or doublecmd as headfilemanager )),

for any to have his own loved workspace surface to be in able to be highest productive if he feels pretty well in his own desktop environment.

and at last, with this it is able to create a machin-surface as snapins like for Industrial torque machines/Industrial Rotary Machine or Coffemachines and Microwaves and Refrigerators. With this Snapinsurface it is more possible to use Reactos also easy as possible in the industry as orderingsystem for Machins (or robots) , more easy as it is the Linux , because the WinNT it is an natural Gui-System and not like Linux, where start behind the X or Wayland.

with this it is able for anybody easy customizing the Surface of Reactos..
Default the one from Server2003/winXP and as snap-in(Administrator or User)
the whole Face of the System, Startmenu/Taskbar/Systray or only one Snapin who it is modular for a Coffeemachin or Rotary machine .

with this it is also able for have Archives of snapins like https://totalcmd.net/directory/fsplugin.html and so on, as Startmenu, Taskbar, Mac like Panter Menu+ on top the Program and other menu, Coffemachine-XY, in a Car a CarSystem where let enable to directly communication via touch and Visual with the Car, Robotsystem with different surface ... and so on .. this make it highest flexible as Visual and interactive Surface for controlling the Machine/Computer with different snapins for the Visual, mouse and touch pad controlling too.

the Surface must be programming at start, divergent to the rigid Startmenu and Taskbar from Windows
to be later in able for have different "faces" for different task's .
In this case, Startmenu and Taskbar and Systray as module and changeable snapins .. up to the installations process to make it able for use in different machine with the customized snapin's and the installation for explicit products of the Manufacturer/Producer .

and in the 2nd way or how ever, first way it is the possible to have an highest Flexible Surface like every individual User and every individual Factory want and not the Producer from Silicon Vally/Redmond as explicit Design and Trademark of a Single Factory where gives in the world only licences for using out and the software it is Copryright © , Registered ® and Trademark ™ of a factory in Redmond !

So have the User, Administrator or Manufacturer/Producer the control over the Surface with snapins .

This idea/suggestion it is specially for Reactos and belongs only Reactos.org and Reactos community,
everything has been written in this tread !

best regards
Blacky
highbaser

Post by highbaser »

Please do not change the start menu to the style of newer Windows OSes.

Keep it good, simple and fast the way it is, according to Windows 2000 standards.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

it should be customizable, as a Win2000 or Win XP, and other who want a Win95 like one
or maybe other the one in direction of Win7 , this is the thinking behind of it
to have his loved, like you, the Startmenu what they all want..
and maybe different other where it is possible to use this Menu like the single one like.
Also a Imac like menu if this anyone want, any should be in able to select his loved start- or taskmenu
to be in able for have flexible possibility to selecting for any single one who love more this or this menu.

and you, the possible to select and have a Win2000/W2K Startmenu ;)
in next century (or longer)

best regards
Blacky
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

highbaser wrote:Please do not change the start menu to the style of newer Windows OSes.

Keep it good, simple and fast the way it is, according to Windows 2000 standards.
Please DO NOT resurrect dead threads unless your wanna trigger me to provide you with some ReactOS forum holidays.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...