Avoid hardcoding Tango icons in ReactOS applications

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

manuel

Avoid hardcoding Tango icons in ReactOS applications

Post by manuel »

Hi!

I use reactos's regedit clone as windows's regedit replace (on windows 7), but i have a suggestion to this application. I see that regedit (reactos) use folder tango icon to show the keys in the registry. I think that not is good idea use the tango icon as resource to draw the keys, regedit (reactos) should use the windows folder icon directly.
This may enabled use themes and that reactos (and applications) be more compatible with they, because else the reactos's application always will show the tango icons. If the user setup a theme, and this theme can setup your icons I think the applications not draw the icons correctly.
Greetings.
[ external image ]
Nemerian

Re: Reactos's applications don't should use tango icons dire

Post by Nemerian »

I second this.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Nemerian wrote:I second this.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'm not sure I understand, do you want it to use tango icons or not?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

I think Manuel wants ReactOS applets such as RegEdit to use the system's icons. Under ReactOS as it currently is, those are the Tango icons. Under Microsoft's versions of a windows OS, those are various sets of Microsoft's proprietary icons.

Manuel appears to suggest that ReactOS's applets should avoid incorporating Tango icons into their own code. Apparently ReactOS's RegEdit applet uses its own copies of Tango icons. Instead, ReactOS applets should obtain their icons using appropriate system calls whenever possible*. Doing this will cause the applet's icons to automatically conform to the system's native icon set.

The benefit of Manuel's suggestion is that ReactOS applets would have a native look and feel under all versions of a windows OS that they support. Manuel anticipates that someday ReactOS's support for themes will be so robust that users could change the system's icon set to one of their own choice.

* perhaps ReactOS's RegEdit applet was written before ReactOS implemented the appropriate system calls
manuel

Post by manuel »

I think Manuel wants ReactOS applets such as RegEdit to use the system's icons
The benefit of Manuel's suggestion is that ReactOS applets would have a native look and feel under all versions of a windows OS
exactly, regedit from ReactOS show folder icons but with Tango style, not use Windows icons (from shell32.dll), regedit should draw these icons from shell32.dll too, and shell32.dll contain the tango icons.
reactosfanboy

Post by reactosfanboy »

I agree with manuel here.
Using the icons from shell32 would give native look & feel and would furthermore rreduce regedits binary size.
ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy »

Tango icons is simple. They looks very good for ReactOS.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ercanersoy wrote:Tango icons is simple. They looks very good for ReactOS.
Perhaps but that isn't the point.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

ercanersoy wrote:Tango icons is simple. They looks very good for ReactOS.
Yes, Tango icons are simple and look very good. Manuel proposes that ReactOS's applications should obtain their icons that the system supports using the usual API calls rather than carrying copies of those icons within the applications themselves. This way, ReactOS's applications would use ReactOS's Tango icons when run in ReactOS and Microsoft's icons when ReactOS's applications are run in a Microsoft Windows environment.

Manuel posted a screen capture of ReactOS's RegEdit running under Microsoft Windows 7. ReactOS's RegEdit uses its own internal copies of common system icons (for example, the folder icon) rather than obtaining them from the system using the usual API calls. Thus, ReactOS's RegEdit looks ok when run under ReactOS but strange when run under other ReactOS-compatible operating systems.

I think that enabling the widespread use of ReactOS components, even in Microsoft Windows environments, is beneficial to the ReactOS Project and to the entire Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) community.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Someone please change the name of this thread to "Reactos' applications should not hardcode the use of tango icons"

It is driving me nuts! (ubersturmbahngrammarNazi).
middings

Post by middings »

I agree.
Shorter alternatives:

Code: Select all

ReactOS applications: avoid hardcoded Tango icons
Do not hardcode Tango icons in ReactOS applications
Avoid hardcoded Tango icons in ReactOS applications
ReactOS applications must avoid hardcoded Tango icons