ReactOS Mascot

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nemerian

ReactOS Mascot

Post by Nemerian »

Due to ReactOS being close to reaching 0.4(thank you devs) and the increased attention this project is getting in major publications, i would like to propose, as a personal idea, and a revival of this old thread(viewtopic.php?f=2&t=252) that the project get, in addition to it's atom logo(or Reacty as some in the old thread called him :p) an animal mascot, due to the fact that it would be a nice community exercise, and most major FOSS projects have one(Gnu the wildebeest, Tux the linux penguin, Beastie the demon/Puffy the puffer-fish/Fred the Dragonfly as the BSD mascots, Haxley the platypus daemon, AROS Kitty, Mozilla the lizard, Konqi the KDE dragon, etc.)
middings

Re: ReactOS Mascot

Post by middings »

The idea of a ReactOS mascot is evergreen. I searched the forums for "mascot". 20 pages of results were returned.

This post seems to summarize the developer teams's current views about a mascot:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13682&p=112039#p112039

Proposing the idea of a mascot is not enough. Someone will have to turn that idea into quality artwork. Plus, someone must make sure the idea doesn't infringe on some other project's mascot. (Many mascots already exist. Sometimes it seems all the good ideas are already taken. A mascot that infringes and must be changed after artwork, collateral, and mascot trinkets have already been produced is an expensive blunder.) The dev team will not supply that 'someone'. People who are eager for a ReactOS mascot will have to team up, do the work themselves, then see if the dev team and the community like the proposed mascot.

Personally, I like the rocket in the ReactOS Community Edition pages (example). I think it goes well with the ReactOS atom.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Nemerian

Post by Nemerian »

middings wrote: Proposing the idea of a mascot is not enough. Someone will have to turn that idea into quality artwork. Plus, someone must make sure the idea doesn't infringe on some other project's mascot. (Many mascots already exist. Sometimes it seems all the good ideas are already taken. A mascot that infringes and must be changed after artwork, collateral, and mascot trinkets have already been produced is an expensive blunder.) The dev team will not supply that 'someone'. People who are eager for a ReactOS mascot will have to team up, do the work themselves, then see if the dev team and the community like the proposed mascot.
I never said we should make the dev team do it. Just make proposals among the community(you know, "community exercise") and we will probably find some people to sketch one or more of the popular ones out. Google queries and reverse image search will likely prevent copyright issues.
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

dizt3mp3r wrote:How about this?[...]
This is an impressive artwork! But I would expect a "proposed" mascot to be a single character with simple colours? So I don't think this image really portray a "mascot".

But other than that, I guess the idea of a souped up snail is not a bad idea? Or a high tech snail...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

[ external image ]

We need something sexy, asking for more attention. This one still is one of the best mascots an OS ever got. We should ask Eric W. Schwartz for one mascot for us ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Reacty <3
Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

EmuandCo wrote:[ external image ]

We need something sexy, asking for more attention. This one still is one of the best mascots an OS ever got. We should ask Eric W. Schwartz for one mascot for us ^^
if you want to turn off people than go ahead.

reactos needs no mascot, OS's that are popular have no stupid mascots.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Tell that to Linux, Unix, OpenSuse, KDE, Darwin, Android, etcetc.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Microsoft Mascot

Windows XP Mascot

Windows 7 Mascot

Amiga = Aros Mascot

and i guess, i must say nothing about Cortana

If want the Peoples an Mascot, let they are love, what they love and support it for have anything to work for..
so.. what's on it bad, if we have a Mascot .. what's negative on that ? Only this who say
" it is not good and we don't need it"
this is the bad on that in my opinion.. let the peoples make a hype with this, and if they need a Mascot,
so why not.. all others stops only the "fun" on it and kill's only the fun on that ..
we had this theme "Mascot" in the past and my opinion it is still the same, so, why not a mascot,
it's funny and make fun .. and supports a certain hype ..

and if they want make a Mascot, then over watch that to be a really good ..
because Windows have also one ..

and dizt3mp3r , what's maybe more your taste is maybe this :
[ external image ] :mrgreen: (like it also ;) )

best regards
Blacky
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No, not at all, this one is more to my taste.

[ external image ]
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

hihi, ohh baby.. but you should look to hold the pictures more small,
because purists and minimalists be no peoples who like so huge pictures
in forums .

but i like she ;) mummy :))) but this more in direction of "Comic" like the others Mascot's
and a bit more blue, because, Reactos is blue .. look the React-ball :
the colors should be in to be fit's :)

best regards
Blacky
florian

Post by florian »

Perhaps it shouldn't be too nerdy - so please, no busty cats, manga girls or soviet power women like above.
Instead Mozilla's Firefox or Thunderbird are better examples.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

perhaps a healthy mix of them,
we had almost a mascot , Reacty , a Reactos ball with a "smily" Face.. or something
with Mikey Mouse arms+legs .. but we had not the right Collorist / Artist who could make them ..
but then was this rejected and discarded .

best regards
Blacky
Hamguy

Post by Hamguy »

EmuandCo wrote:Tell that to Linux, Unix, OpenSuse, KDE, Darwin, Android, etcetc.
Again, if you want an os that people want to actually USE and not be a hobby os than go ahead.