Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

solid_black
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by solid_black » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:09 pm

Webunny wrote:I prefer crisp clean 'pure' images.
There's one of that kind, called The cup of fresh water. GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.

Image

Image

Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.
solid_black wrote: It's clean and simple.
It has nearly no color variations around the edges so icons would be perfectly visible.
Can say the same here.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 pm

solid_black wrote:
Webunny wrote:I prefer crisp clean 'pure' images.
There's one of that kind, called The cup of fresh water. GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.

Image

Image

Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.
solid_black wrote: It's clean and simple.
It has nearly no color variations around the edges so icons would be perfectly visible.
Can say the same here.
Ok, I uploaded them, and I've put some others there that I found which were under CC0. All viewable on: http://postimg.org/gallery/bee8d9pi/

I think I'll let it go on until the end of the week, to let people add some more or if they want to finetune/change something they already submitted. So that, next week, we can start with the voting. Since there are so many already, I think I'll go for 10 votes each. The 5 with the most points are the winning ones, but I'll add another 5 as backup/runners' up. You never know if (some of) those first 5 get disqualified on technical grounds or something. And then we need some redundancy.

solid_black
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by solid_black » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:35 am

Webunny wrote:Ok, I uploaded them
Thanks!
Can you please make so that you can enlarge them by clicking from that gallery? As you really need to see it full-size to notice all these nice little relections and light effects in water and glass.

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by justincase » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Uh, yeah. It looks like just the thumbnails were uploaded.
solid_black wrote:The cup of fresh water. GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.

Image

Image

Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.
These images should instead be uploaded instead
http://s17.postimg.org/8qh7w62nj/cup1.png
http://s16.postimg.org/aqtxok2th/cup2.png

To be honest though a lot of the images on your gallery (http://postimg.org/gallery/bee8d9pi/) seem to be a little small to be good wallpaper candidates.
A bunch of them can be downloaded in higher quality versions on one (or more) of these sites though
http://buscawallpaper.com
http://www.gratisography.com
http://pixabay.com
http://takeinsocialmedia.com (these may use other CC licenses)
http://ipadmini壁紙.com (not sure about licensing)
http://www.reddit.com/r/free_images (you'll want to find the original source these images, people can post anything there and while they'll get in trouble if they post something non-CC0, we could get in trouble if we use one)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:41 pm

justincase wrote:Uh, yeah. It looks like just the thumbnails were uploaded.
solid_black wrote:The cup of fresh water. GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.

Image

Image

Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.
These images should instead be uploaded instead
http://s17.postimg.org/8qh7w62nj/cup1.png
http://s16.postimg.org/aqtxok2th/cup2.png

To be honest though a lot of the images on your gallery (http://postimg.org/gallery/bee8d9pi/) seem to be a little small to be good wallpaper candidates.
A bunch of them can be downloaded in higher quality versions on one (or more) of these sites though
http://buscawallpaper.com
http://www.gratisography.com
http://pixabay.com
http://takeinsocialmedia.com (these may use other CC licenses)
http://ipadmini壁紙.com (not sure about licensing)
http://www.reddit.com/r/free_images (you'll want to find the original source these images, people can post anything there and while they'll get in trouble if they post something non-CC0, we could get in trouble if we use one)
I had already tried that - and no, I'm not saying you can't say what you said with this - but when I tried to upload some wallpapers in full resolution, it borked (well, actually, it didn't allow me to do it). Maybe if I went premium, but I don't want to pay for it.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:59 pm

So...Are there still volunteers creating stuff, or people who found something as a wallpaper that they would like to see uploaded to the gallery? (Or did I forget to upload something?)

If not, I think I'll end this first stage Wednesday or Thursday, and start the second stage (the actual voting) on the other thread starting Friday (or at least, during the weekend) for the following week or so. As said, since they are plenty to choose from now, and I still didn't get much info about the technicalities (minimum width/height) and such are from either the devs or anyone from PR, I think it prudent to have a backup for the 5 winning wallpapers, in case some do not qualify after all. So 10 wallpapers will be offered, but the latter 5 only as redundancy for the first 5, and in line of popularity too, of course. Also: I'll give ten points each; instead of five, and...well, maybe NOT make it accumulate neither, since otherwise, a very few people could just monopolise the 5 winners (we don't have droves of voters, as seen with the 'push your app' vote I did), while more reasonable persons who disperse their points onto different likeable wallpapers will be easily outdone otherwise. If everyone (me included, of course) is obliged to give a point to 10 different wallpapers, even with a select group you'll have much more sight on what is generally viewed as the most popular of the images.

Nemerian
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 am

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Nemerian » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:29 pm

I found cc0, A LOT.
But i think it would overwhelm us.
http://www.uhdwallpapers.org/ (for those of you who wanted high-def stuff)
http://creativity103.com/collections/index.html (not as many, but still a lot).
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gallery.php (wallpapers made in the British Isles. On the plus side, they already have an option to sort them according to votes)

Personal note: i really like this one: http://www.uhdwallpapers.org/2014/06/desert-dark.html

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:06 pm

Nemerian wrote:I found cc0, A LOT.
But i think it would overwhelm us.
http://www.uhdwallpapers.org/ (for those of you who wanted high-def stuff)
http://creativity103.com/collections/index.html (not as many, but still a lot).
http://www.geograph.org.uk/gallery.php (wallpapers made in the British Isles. On the plus side, they already have an option to sort them according to votes)

Personal note: i really like this one: http://www.uhdwallpapers.org/2014/06/desert-dark.html
That last one is quite nice indeed. However, be careful when claiming something is under the CC0. It is NOT explicitly said there that the author put it under CC0. On the contrary, one can read:

"Visitors: The wallpaper is available for download (free) only as background on personal tablets, smartphones and desktops. Do NOT upload on other sites or use in other purposes without Richard's permission!"

First of all, the 'free' is ambiguous: free in what respect? Free as in beer or as in speech? We're (maybe) incorporating it INTO an OS, and distribute it that way; it's more than just using it as a personal wallpaper on your own computer, thus.

I'm afraid I can't use that for the vote. I'll rather be a bit strict than not strict enough, otherwise z98 will chastise me anyway. ;-)

The other may well qualify, I didn't check them all out, but I'm not planning to load whole galleries; I expect people to do a preliminary choice of what they like the most in the first place, as potential candidates. Otherwise, as you say, it would be overwhelming if it's just copy/paste whole image-galleries.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am

Little update: it takes a little bit longer than anticipated, because I contacted the creator of the 'desert dark' (I like the image pretty much too :-p) to see if he would be interested in letting ROS perpetually use it for free. I'm still waiting for a reply, but if I don't hear from him by soon, I'll start with the voting anyway.
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solid_black
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by solid_black » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 pm

A little update from me :lol:

If it's not too late and if I haven't already exceeded the limit - here is a new one.

Image
Image
solid_black wrote:GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.
solid_black wrote:Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:08 pm

solid_black wrote:A little update from me :lol:

If it's not too late and if I haven't already exceeded the limit - here is a new one.

ImageImage

solid_black wrote:GNU GPL 2+ / CC-BY.
solid_black wrote:Just enlarge it by clicking, it doesn't really look good in this preview.
Nah, I'm still trying to get an answer from the author of the 'desert dark', but I don't seem to get any response.

I'll update the gallery with your pictures this weekend. And I'll start the vote afterwards (I can't keep waiting).

We have a pretty large collection as of yet, so I think there is ample choice to choose from.

manuel
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 pm
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by manuel » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Aurora boreal, public domain photo (wikipedia), maybe one option to reactos?

URL: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_polar
Photo
Image

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by justincase » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:15 pm

Ooh, I like that northern lights pic, it's cool, and it crops down to 16x9 nicely too.

Also, for the record, although the original photo isn't hosted there any more, it comes from Air Force Link (found it on archive.org) which stated in its disclaimer (also on archive.org) "Information presented on Air Force Link is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested."
So it looks like a good candidate to me. :D
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

manuel
Posts: 404
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 pm
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by manuel » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi!

The resource of the day from Wikipedia has some beautiful pictures and some of them under free license, for example:
Image

Details: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ta-004.jpg
Resources of the day: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... l_d%C3%ADa

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Is anyone interested in this wallpaper?

Post by Webunny » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:07 am

manuel wrote:Hi!

The resource of the day from Wikipedia has some beautiful pictures and some of them under free license, for example:

Resources of the day: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... l_d%C3%ADa
Yes, well...a bit too late. We've already started the voting here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests