XP look-alike interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you like to "keep with the times" by implementing an XP-style interface for ReactOS?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 211

Blackcrack

Re: XP look-alike interface?

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy,

i'd like the alternatives ;) uxtheme.dll if it's run to apply the
msstyle-file :mrgreen:

my Favorite is Darkbar in .... green :mrgreen:

regards
Blacky
Happy-Dude

Post by Happy-Dude »

Heya guys !!

Personally, I agree with this:
IMHO the best solution is to create flexible GUI with WXP, KDE, GNOME themes support, so everything would be able to adjust his environment (sorry for my english :cry: )
Why not have all of them? Have ReactOS be able to manipulate Linux + uxtheme.dll style themes (both WinXP and WinVista please; though I must admit, Vista's 3rd party themes aren't that great.).

I personally don't hate the default XP Luna theme. Course, it DOES need work. (But, using a hacked uxtheme.dll + shellstyle + other files allows users to open their styles up to some really well made and well designed 3rd party themes.)

What I suggest is that there should be an option for users to choose which to use (so there is no conflicting effects): ReactOS default OR an XP-based theme OR Vista-based theme OR Linux-based theme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I find XP's style Start Menu more useful and *quicker* than classic or Vista's.

Reason for that:
-people recognize things faster visually.
---Vista (stupid MS) takes away from this by having the icons that were placed appropriately by having it placed at the top. (in other words, it forces people to focus and read, and eventually, it will turn into reflex, but that takes time)
---Classic (ROS and XP-style) does this well

-Quick links placed nicely and in special sections. Should improve over XP by having Programs on one side and System-related Tools on the other
---Vista again takes a step away with the icons being placed weird
---Classic (ROS and XP) doesn't have this. It only has sections, and the programs (if any) and system tools are crammed together

-Expanding *All Programs* menu
---XP & ROS does this nicely, and is the style we are all used to
---Vista takes this a step further, but also some back; search makes it easier for all of us to use, All Programs is messy and should have folders on top and programs on bottom (I didn't find an easy way of doing this)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my proposal is:
-Visual icons placed in relevant positions.
-Have split sections of Programs and System Tools like in XP-style. ((OR just have the sections and DON'T cram everything together.)
-Have start menu searching
-Have a set All Programs expanding format (as default and allow user to change later):: folders/tools on top, programs after, and whatever (maybe docs?) at end

What do you guys think?
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

hy Happy-Dude :-))))

fo me it's all, all right, who supporting themes and extended, api's and some one,
to have a System with a allinonesyle, like Totalcommander and them art's of plugin
who be direcktly integrated in the "Total Commander System" and they i think it
be a must to have anabling to use a free way for users to have a Extended Plugin-Api
for Themes who can create/use the user how -he/she/they are- whant and maby
why not with a theme Creating Guy... who can make more extended, enhanced like
the Game "Spore" Theme support.. everything in this direction it's for me be welcome.

But, the other side is the only Programmers, Developers, love the "normal", programming Design,
only the User's , Graficers anhanced Users who like the crewl Design on a crewl System
like be not from this world, like Modding ;)

It shold be like a very flexibl themeengine, themed Decoration and like GTK the inside of Windows
too with pattern pictures
[ external image ] or this [ external image ],
stretching or pattering or enhanced color supporting like this :
[ external image ] or more colors

inside of the Windows and as Dekoration, all shold be possible for the Gui-Designer
and normal Designer or enhanced User.. the same with the Gui-Supported Themes,
and the Shell Gui's...
On Reactos it's all possible, but.... it shold be programming .... if you can, do it :)
or.. execute it :mrgreen:
i cant Programming, i be only a enhanced User :twisted: but i looove
enhanced good desighned Shell/Gui's.. The Startmenu and Icon-Positioning
themedlike, i had wrote (in a other Tread i think) the Shell shold be so like a
Camelion with manny api's for Design, Plugin's (like Total Commander too,
Christian had make Munny enough ;) ) and other, the Menu shold pluginbased
too like a menu.dll or menu2.dll, menuxp.dll , menuvista.dll, menuw95.dll or
how ever it can shold be possible to be a bar too like bar.dll or something,
the same shold be the normal tabbar, it shold be so an api, who add the
Bar and the bar add the menu and positioning themelike who use the bar
the theme and apply it to bar and menu ... the ROSxplorer is in rewrite
all in C+ if you whant, so programming it too, at moment it's only a skelett
who had say me EmuandCo. so you have the big Change to custom it if
you can programming. do it...

best Regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Remember that ultimately every theme or shell that can run on Windows will run on ROS. So why duplicate all that? Others have already done all that work for us.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Z98,

oh, I enjoy myself.

best regards
Blacky
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Blackcrack wrote:Hy Z98,

oh, I enjoy myself.

best regards
Blacky
You have just made my day, blackcrack. :D Honestly, I can't think of anything funnier that I have seen or probably will see today.

As for the XP interface, I have to agree with what Z98 said. I'm delving into this more now, and finally understanding what that means. :| If you already plan to have support for the themes, just let users decide what they want. It's not needed to package it with ROS.
Happy-Dude

Post by Happy-Dude »

You know ...

I realize: it isn't as much as looks, but the functionality behind it. Reason why I don't like classic is because there aren't any *quick links* to fav programs and stuff (you have to go to all programs, let it pane out, and select it).

XP improves this a bit by dividing into sections that make sense. Vista takes away by taking visuals out, and having a clumsy unorganized scrolling system (which is slightly better than paning, but the organization is bad, and at least there's search ;) ).

Perhaps the design team can take something from the VistaStartMenu program? Check it out at http://www.vistastartmenu.com/index.html .

So--
Sections? check
Shortcuts? check
Resizability? check
Organization? made much better by having the ability to just be able to click a *folder* and take to program (you hover to expand it; just read more)
Search? check

Ppppllleeassee take somethings from this and expand/ optimize on this !! This is perhaps the best Start Menu proposal. It is most friendly and can be customized (to an extent). What does the ROS team think ?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Happy-Dude wrote:I realize: it isn't as much as looks, but the functionality behind it. Reason why I don't like classic is because there aren't any *quick links* to fav programs and stuff (you have to go to all programs, let it pane out, and select it).
Use the Quick Launch toolbar. Problem solved.
Happy-Dude wrote:Ppppllleeassee take somethings from this and expand/ optimize on this !! This is perhaps the best Start Menu proposal. It is most friendly and can be customized (to an extent). What does the ROS team think ?
I may not be from the ReactOS team, but for what it's worth, I think that "This is perhaps the best Start Menu proposal. It is most friendly" is just your opinion. I have always used the classic Start menu and I simply cannot stand the XP or Vista ones.

I'm not against having other themes besides the classic look, but the classic look should, in my mind, be the default.
Arnor

Post by Arnor »

I'm very much in favour of the good old design of windows. The fact it's still al alternative for the facny themes today proves that it's something efficient and good. I'm not against other themes though, but I don't think it should be a priority...
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Arnor wrote:I'm very much in favour of the good old design of windows. The fact it's still al alternative for the facny themes today proves that it's something efficient and good. I'm not against other themes though, but I don't think it should be a priority...
Windows XP isn't the "good old" theme IMO (since its resource intensive), so I'm assuming you mean the current ROS win95 look-a-like theme, right?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Do you mean Luna? I assure you its use of resources is barely noticable.
andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

gnu_rocky wrote:Yo:

Alot of people these days use Windows XP. Either because they have to or they are ignorant about Linux. I was thinking if we could get somebody to come up with a "luna" XP GUI skin for ReactOS so as to "keep with the times". I personally couldn't care less if I had such a look and feel to ReactOS. But others who are new to this revolutionary idea of a Windows wannabe might think it a great idea. :) Hopefully, we don't get a letter from Redmond requesting us to shut down or anything. Just some food for thought.

Matthew Nawrocki
gnu_rocky
Perhaps put an optional styled shell in Download! ?
The123king

Post by The123king »

Right, this might be a strange concept, but why do we have to make it KDE compatible or SharpE compatible or even Windows compatible? I know it might sound like a strange concept, but why don't we write our own interface instead of trying to replicate one or another.

Now i like the 9x look we have, and i wouldn't like to see it ditched, and i've seen some nice mock-ups of XP/Vista too, which look nice too, but why don't we, you know, write our own desktop environment. As long as everything is in the same place as you would expect on Windows, and everything is pretty self-explanitory, i see no problem in writing a custom desktop environment unique to ReactOS.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

The123king wrote:Right, this might be a strange concept, but why do we have to make it KDE compatible or SharpE compatible or even Windows compatible? I know it might sound like a strange concept, but why don't we write our own interface instead of trying to replicate one or another.

Now i like the 9x look we have, and i wouldn't like to see it ditched, and i've seen some nice mock-ups of XP/Vista too, which look nice too, but why don't we, you know, write our own desktop environment. As long as everything is in the same place as you would expect on Windows, and everything is pretty self-explanitory, i see no problem in writing a custom desktop environment unique to ReactOS.
Because then explorer.exe plug-ins and modifications wouldn't work and 100% Windows compatability would be lost.