XP look-alike interface?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would you like to "keep with the times" by implementing an XP-style interface for ReactOS?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 211

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i thought ros,s uxtheme is from wine and therefore is not fully functional with windows xp themes?
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Haos,

i dont have say about uxtheme,
had say alone, they shold be wait of finishing
the rewrite of reactos-explorer..
maby be it more plugable how we think about it..
Dont put any word's in my mouth Haos ! Thanks !
i thought ros,s uxtheme is from wine and therefore is not fully functional with windows xp themes?
it's from wine, i think, but the orginal one is from XP, was written to
make themes in XP and then was patched for other themes, extended
one's and thememaker's this was it... and later was written a "pached"
uxtheme.dll in wine to let run the msthemes from other sourced .. or so..
maby i dont not know at all ;) but so i had see it.. if any know more about,
they can tell it ;)

regards
Blacky
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Blackrack

Are you aware of/have you seen application named explorer-new from our tree?
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Haos,

it was speak about, about a Explorer rewrite from the Developers...
i dont now.. if you see you words.. can i believe the Developers ?? *s*
i think.. eehh... jes ` ¿ *s*

regards
Blacky

for me is this disc. now end.. i had tell my words..
Sauer2

Post by Sauer2 »

About the topic:
I think a xp-like interface would be cool,
maybe in black and white instead of green and blue.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

I hate those skins, I always use the classic Windows style in XP - those skins should be optional for users who like it.
z180

Post by z180 »

It is what radhad said,I bought a laptop with XP but no XP-CD
bought some RAM and disabled XP styles.
Developers could delete uxtheme.dll from trunk please
because it is not working for years and on every CD.
Last line:I consider XP Styles a bad format.LINUX software
has several better theming data formats which could use seperate
color schemes by the use of grayscale bitmaps but XP styles could not change the colors.[/quote]
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

Just my 2 cents, I think we should either go for an xp-like theme or create a completly new and origial theme ie the ROS theme. You know like in vista with the circle... the ros logo is perfectly sutied to it.

I know many of you guys prefer and old theme and the benfits that come with it on windows machines such as the snappier UI. But the big problem is that the theme that ROS has reminds me of windows 98. This means at the basic user level people are going to assosiate ROS with old tech, just being old in general or even lame. I have showed a few people I know ROS and their initial reaction is 'thats a piece of old crappy junk' ... of course they probably dont realise that XP is 7 years old :roll: .

But my main point is that in a few months or year or so you are going to be looking for new users and in order to attract new users you need to be assesible and a nice theme would help new users initial inpressions.

I would also like to say that the start menu needs to be change with better organisation, ie so you have icons like my computer and my documents on the right hand side. And off buttons at the bottom. It doesn't have to be exctly the same ... perhaps on the right have some quick links that you know you use all the time such as a link to the explore (you could call it my computer :p) and links to thinks like the internet explorer.

I personally feel i have had more than 2 cents.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

It doesn't refer to Windows 98 / ME / 2000 - it is just the "classic" design which is still in use in each Windows Server OS, because it is lightweight and fast. Eye candy stuff should be optional so that ReactOS get's not bloated like Windows Vista.
fzerox

Post by fzerox »

Radhad wrote:It doesn't refer to Windows 98 / ME / 2000 - it is just the "classic" design which is still in use in each Windows Server OS, because it is lightweight and fast. Eye candy stuff should be optional so that ReactOS get's not bloated like Windows Vista.
Vista isn't bloated ... well i dont think it is anyways. Vista works a lot differently than XP, Vista works in reverse to xp in some sense. Xp is always quick when you first install it and then it gets graduallrly slower whereas my vista has done the opposite and speeded up. I also heard that vista tries to fill the ram up with as much stuff as possible to make it faster as a whole. I must be the only person who actually likes vista :D
z180

Post by z180 »

Who said Vista is not bloated ??? :shock: :x :evil:
I like a small system with a small,intuitive and fast UI.
I do not want a second XP but something like ReactOS.
edge88

Post by edge88 »

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

why is that funny? if it helps people to migrate to linux then it can only be a good thing.
kevinski

Re: XP look-alike interface?

Post by kevinski »

Honestly, I love Classic, but Luna is far more flexible than Classic in terms of color usage. If you change the color of the Taskbar in Classic to anything other than a relatively light color, then it's probably gonna look like crap. In Luna, however, even darker colors can look quite good for such elements. I don't think that ReactOS should simply copy the way that Windows handles things, as I'll agree that Windows just isn't perfect. For instance, customizing the colors in a theme could be done far more intuitively. I could create a mock-up of what I'm talking about. Really, I don't want something that works exactly as Luna does. Luna isn't flexible. I have a feeling that ReactOS can do better.
kevintrooper

Re: XP look-alike interface?

Post by kevintrooper »

honestly... I would leave it classic, then when it is stable enough, get Windows Blinds, or an alternative ;)