ReactOs graphic interface

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

Post by forart »

Wierd wrote:What exactly *IS* your definition of a 'clone'?
Not mine. THE clone definition is (from Dictionary.com/clone):
One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: “filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits” (Michael M. Thomas).

To produce a copy of; imitate closely: “The look has been cloned into cliché” (Cathleen McGuigan).
...and what is yours ?
Wierd wrote:Reactos IS a windows clone. It aims to REPLACE windows. That means it will have a windows UI.
Sorry, but for me ReactOS is a windows _ALTERNATIVE_ not a windows clone.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

It doesn't matter what anyone deffinition is, the fact remains that in order for Windows users to feel comfortable in ReactOS, the interface must resemble the standard Windows interface ... i.e. Windows 2000
forart

Post by forart »

If so, ged please update the about page:
ReactOS is an effort to create a Free Software replacement for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware and software!
Better with .."is an effort to create a Free Software clone for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware, software and interface !"

Am I wrong ?
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I really don't see what the big deal is.

IMO, it's not a clone, it's a replacement. But a replacement has to suit the audience it's designed as a replacement for. Thus, the look and feel needs to be the same as what the intended audience are used to.

Unless you are going to start up a seperate project to write a replacement shell for ReactOS, then this discussion is pointless anyway because the Windows 2000 look and feel _IS_ being used as a base.
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Patchworks wrote:If so, ged please update the about page:
ReactOS is an effort to create a Free Software replacement for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware and software!
Better with .."is an effort to create a Free Software clone for Microsoft Windows(TM) that is compatible with existing hardware, software and interface !"

Am I wrong ?
Not necessarily wrong. Just reading too much in things which don't matter ^_^

A replacement can be a clone of the existing item, a variation/extension, or it can be something completely different. Nailing down ROS as a 'clone' of Windows limits its scope too much.

Whether one calls ROS a replacement for, or a competitor to Windows, the meaning is the same.