Copyright in graphical interface

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

IbotLite

Copyright in graphical interface

Post by IbotLite »

ReactOS has by default the classic graphical interface from windows® 95 to windows® Me

It turns out that microsoft has ALL its graphical interfaces with its copyright

That means... WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE INTERFACE OF ReactOS™ to avoid being reported by ©Microsoft Corporation

Also ReactOS™ looks very old
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Copyright in graphical interface

Post by EmuandCo »

Nope, plain wrong. We don't have to change anything
https://openviewpartners.com/blog/can-y ... rface-gui/

Some call it old, some call it simple and classic. If you want more eye candy, use one of the included themes or install your own.

P.S. It's the interface of Windows Server 2003
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

IbotLite wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 pm Also ReactOS™ looks very old
It does not look old at all, it looks exactly how it needs to being an open source version of Windows 2003/XP. Please do your research before typing anything else. It is clear that you need to do some homework, please do it!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

IbotLite wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:00 pm ReactOS has by default the classic graphical interface from windows® 95 to windows® Me

It turns out that microsoft has ALL its graphical interfaces with its copyright

That means... WE HAVE TO CHANGE THE INTERFACE OF ReactOS™ to avoid being reported by ©Microsoft Corporation

Also ReactOS™ looks very old
Just because you did not read the setup where you can change a style does not mean we do not support graphical styles.
IbotLite

Post by IbotLite »

Yes, but remember that ReactOS is not Windows and it is not Linux. it is a different system in the code
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

IbotLite wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:19 pm Yes, but remember that ReactOS is not Windows and it is not Linux. it is a different system in the code
At this point I assume you are just trolling?
IbotLite

Post by IbotLite »

'm not trolling :( , All I'm saying is that. What do you think ReactOS will be in the future?I
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

@lbotLite please stop posting nonsense.

What is your point???
ReactOS is in early development phase! And ReactOS is not Linux.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Keep things civil. All of you. Thanks very much!
@IbotLite: I gave you the legal explaination why we don't have to change anything. Regardless if we are Linux, Windows alike or a gender correct addressed potato. What else do you want to hear? We will NOT change anything as there is NO NEED TO.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

OK, sorry for saying "nonsense". Let me word it different:

@Ibotlite I really don't understand what you are saying, What is your point?
middings

Post by middings »

Let's get back to the topic, does Microsoft have a copyright in the Microsoft Windows graphical interface that requires changing ReactOS's user interface?

My understanding is that the consensus opinion of ReactOS project participants is no, ReactOS does not infringe on Microsoft copyrights.

If someone desires to (again) discuss whether ReactOS's user interface is old, dated, or unfashionable that belongs in another topic. However, talk is cheap. Anyone who desires to change ReactOS's user interface will be expected by most ReactOS participants to produce a working alternative theme that demonstrates the desired changes.
PeterLinuxer

Post by PeterLinuxer »

I still would like to know what @IBotLite meant with "ReactOS is not Windows and it is not Linux" because that's obvious and I don't see how that is related to copyright.

I searched the net for "look and feel copyright" and @middings is right: ReactOS doesn't infringe MS copyright. (At least so it seems to me, being not a lawyer.) See also the link @EmuandCo gave.

Greetings
Peter
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

See
https://jurislaws.com/look-and-feel-cop ... -lawsuits/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Com ... osoft_Corp.

Copyright can include specific graphical elements, such as icons (however, many would be "generic" under copyright law, much as you cannot copyright the word "banana" -- how many ways are there to represent a folder??) But how those are placed is not under copyright. Also, recreating something is not the same as copying it. And ReactOS is not a "derivative work" derived from MSFT source code.

There are linux desktops that are all but indistinguishable from various species of Windows (Trinity desktop in its default state is very close to classic Windows). Far as I know, no legal action has been taken against any of them. There is also the problem of demonstrating financial harm, here nonexistent.

IANAL, but I think this is a non-issue.

PS. the classic interface is what makes ReactOS attractive to me. I cannot use a desktop where I can't set workspace colors to suit my eyes.