React OS 0.4.14 RC demonstration and analysis on VirtualBox 6.1.10 in Portuguese Brazil

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

brunoalvieira

React OS 0.4.14 RC demonstration and analysis on VirtualBox 6.1.10 in Portuguese Brazil

Post by brunoalvieira »

This is a reproduction of an article I made for my blog, which originally is in Portuguese Brazil, of an analysis of the tests I did on the open source and legalized React OS project on Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.10 (in truth, it is a second part of an article that I made in 2015).

Any questions, mistakes or suggestions, do not hesitate to comment and I hope you enjoy:

Introduction
[...]
Before I start, I’ll say that the system image provided here jumped to 145 MB (130 MB compressed), compared to 112/90 MB the last time I tested, which still remains very lean considering the constant progress of the project (to give you an idea, an image of XP and Server 2003 up to 700 MB).

Installation and configuration
[ external image ]
Right away it is possible to say that the PT-BR language support has had several improvements, however, interestingly, in the screen above, which was in Portuguese when I tested it in the past, here it remains in English, even applying the language at the beginning of the wizard (but , reiterating, based on the message, the React OS is still far from leaving the Alpha stage, so it is not recommended for use in production).

[ external image ]
While the NTFS fork is not released, one of the main new features of React OS was the addition of support for the BTRFS file system. Originally designed for Linux, it was ported to Windows XP and later and, starting with version 0.4.10, it was embarked on the free project where, in my tests, it worked transparently, without any unforeseen circumstances. In the case of the image above, both options format very quickly.

[ external image ]
It is important to note that, on the date of publication of this article, the official version was 0.4.13, which I also tested, where, the reasons for not having used it for this analysis I will detail later. For now, both versions 0.4.13 and 0.4.14 RC installed without major problems. A curiosity is that the text "Loading Freeloader" has been removed from the boot process, over the past few years.

[ external image ]
This part, in turn, also received a subtle but providential change, which was the addition of the progress bar, which improves monitoring in the event of a crash.

[ external image ]
If I'm not mistaken, the graphical wizard's welcome screen was skipped by default in 0.4.0 RC, now displayed as expected.

[ external image ]
This is a new screen introduced in version 0.4.14 (therefore, noting, it did not exist in 0.4.13), which allows the adjustment of server and workstation settings (probably based on the behavior of Windows NT Workstation and Server), the which, in practice, only changes the installation of user folders, not noticing any other difference during my tests, at least at this point in development.

[ external image ]
Regional and language options have been improved and are a little more complete than before.

[ external image ]
The keyboard settings has also been revised and the application is now more effective, although there are still some imperfections in the interface, as can be seen above.

[ external image ]
When applying the change and / or clicking OK, interestingly, the wizard offers the option to restart, which did not exist before. Although, probably, it was thought for use in the Control Panel, with the system already installed, particularly, I think it is more correct to warn the user that the changes will only be applied at the next restart, since the process occurs at the end of the wizard.

[ external image ]
As expected, the validation of the created password correctly recognizes when there is some divergence in what was typed (however, no complexity validations have yet been implemented, probably due to the lack of administrative policies in the system, even for server mode) .

[ external image ]
The time setting part also had a subtle revision, showing the time format in Portuguese correctly (although with some imperfection, which is not so unusual, even in GNU / Linux distributions, for example).

[ external image ]
Even though React OS already supported the installation of themes, as I exemplified in the previous article, since then, the project started to ship natively, in addition to the classic theme, three more themes, and these can be applied even during the installation, as shown above.

[ external image ]
Particularly, I liked the Mizu theme more, since it somewhat resembles Windows 10, in addition to having a good font fit and cohesive elements.

[ external image ]
With the advancement of the network modules development in the system, the project finally added the network configuration in the wizard, based on NT 4 to Server 2003.

[ external image ]
Although, by selecting Custom Configuration, it is possible to see that the screen is still incomplete.

[ external image ]
But it is already possible to set up workgroups (the domain configuration has not been tested for this article, and it may or may not be functional).

[ external image ]
This is the desktop, with the theme applied and the wallpaper changed.

[ external image ]
In fact, the project started to include more wallpapers with the system, including duplicates for Letterbox and Widescreen screens (which is strange, since the Position option can manage this, where, in particular, only 16: 9 images could be kept, until to gain space in the instalation environment).

[ external image ]
Going straight to the winver command , it is clear that the revised system banner now displays correctly, without the distortions of previous versions of the SO.

[ external image ]
The toolbar settings have been revised, including the clock with seconds option, very useful for monitoring if the system crashes, something that was only shipped on Windows 10 Version 1607 (and until today is hidden, needing to be enabled by registry key - and, compared to Server 2003, it was unimaginable at the time).

[ external image ]
The Start Menu tab has also been subtly revised.

[ external image ]
And now, you have a few more options, even though the advanced settings have not been developed hitherto.

[ external image ]
But, through the Add button or clicking on the option in New, in the advanced menu on the desktop (activated by the right mouse button or dedicated button on the keyboard), it is already possible to create a shortcut and move it around in the menu, without major problems .

[ external image ]
Although it is not yet possible to generate a shortcut automatically when launching the advanced menu on a specific executable, through the option "Send to the desktop (as shortcut)", which would save some time.

[ external image ]
Speaking of the clock, the translation has been improved, in addition to being very beautiful in the Mizu theme.

[ external image ]
This is the time zone selection, which I did not show in the previous article.

[ external image ]
In addition, synchronization is also functional, with the OpenNTP server set by default (it can also be adjusted in Windows).

[ external image ]
A reflection of support for the workgroup is support for network folders, illustrated here using the shared folders feature of VirtualBox Guest Additions.

Native resources
[ external image ]
Hidden in the system folder, the project included a disk defragmenter that, well, didn't work. Yeah, we started well ...

[ external image ]
In addition to Paint, there is also ImageSoft, which is not much more advanced (remembering that it is possible to install GIMP on the system via Application Central).

[ external image ]
There is a preview of a Management Console fork , but it is not yet functional.

[ external image ]
In addition to the standard WordPad, powered by the Wine project, the system still maintains a legacy version that, because it is less functional, will probably be removed in the future.

[ external image ]
The aberration that was the keyboard shown in the first article was, thankfully, replaced by a more polished version.

[ external image ]
Incidentally, speaking of accessibility, the system gained a manager dedicated to the subject (similar to Ease of Access Center in Windows Vista and later, although more basic).

[ external image ]
Inherited from NT 4 (in truth, original from NT 3 and present until XP SP1), we have an alternative version of the Program Manager.

[ external image ]
React OS also comes with a built-in Telnet client by default.

[ external image ]
An intriguing tool is this supposed font editor, which apparently handles .bin or .psf files, but does not appear to be functional.

[ external image ]
Still in fonts, we also have a substitute font viewer which, we agree, its usefulness is quite questionable (whoever disagrees with that, be sure to comment).

[ external image ]
This is a well-designed text version of a task manager (which Windows did not have on Server 2003, at least).

[ external image ]
And they also started to design a DiskPart fork, which is an advanced volume and partition manager with more features than a format.com, for example ...

[ external image ]
We also have an Event Viewer, which is not a MMC snap-in here , but does its job.

[ external image ]
We also have a basic screenshot tool , which opens a save window but, at the moment, it cannot be activated by the PrtScr button .

[ external image ]
In addition to the Windows Explorer version (both the old and the current executable), thanks to Wine, the system ships a fork of the Windows 3.x File Explorer (which Microsoft even relaunched as an Open Source project and is available in its Store ).

[ external image ]
Going to the advanced options, the client / server configuration added at the wizard, as mentioned at the beginning of the article, could already be done by accessing the "System Settings" button.

[ external image ]
These are the environment variables that basically work the same way as in Windows.

[ external image ]
The calculator is still apparently the same, but at least they fixed the About window.

[ external image ]
Considering that React OS is still based on Windows Server 2003 and as the system is no longer supported since 2015 (as will be demonstrated in third party applications), the developers have already promised that the system base will be moved to NT 6.x (which, at the pace of development of the project does not help much, since, at most, by 2024, this series of Microsoft OSs will be officially obsolete), and the first signs can already be perceived through files like the one shown above, whose library appears to be a duplication of the original NTDLL, but without detail guides.

[ external image ]
Another element is the addition of an apparently non-functional executable, called wusa, which, since Windows Vista, became the manager of standalone .msu updates (it is not known what is or what will be the influence of this feature in the React OS, but I'm curious to know where the project is going).

[ external image ]
The system also includes a version of the USB device safe removal feature (still present in Windows, although well hidden - it can be accessed by right-clicking on the system tray icon or using the command), which it is partially functional.

[ external image ]
Mainly, because version 0.4.14 RC is not recognizing flash drives (at 0.4.13, in turn, detection occurs normally, but without the tray icon - they are probably working on this feature, since the compression and indexing are not functional, apart from the absence of the tool guide).

[ external image ]
The problem in recognizing the USB, in fact, can be proven through the ostensible installation wizard of an "unknown device" (not shown in version 0.14.3), which runs after each reboot, even asking not to display it anymore.

[ external image ]
Based on what I said in the first article, React OS finally added native support for ZIP files, which, while not less simple than the Windows version, works as expected (although it is not translated).

[ external image ]
On the other hand, when trying to install components that use the Windows 2000 / XP upgrade wizard as a base, the above error is displayed.

[ external image ]
Another very common bug (this is even too much for my taste) is the Visual C ++ components absence warning, which generally does not affect the installation (probably thanks to Wine that offers the support layer, but that the MSI-based installer does not understand, since the system is not really Windows - normally the installation would be aborted).

[ external image ]
However, it is important to note that the Windows Installer fork has undergone changes in operation, not showing its pure form (which hinders the installation of Visual C ++ 2005, for example, since, by not showing any windows, it is only possible to know that it is running or not via the Task Manager), being more polished than before and transparent in installers based on it (InstallShield, for example). Therefore, it is important to make sure to install these components before any program that depends on these libraries.

[ external image ]
Thanks to BTRFS, the file properties have been given an additional tab, which defines some parameters related to the file system (including security features, such as access permissions).

[ external image ]
Based on this, the directories are treated as subvolumes, the creation operation occurs as expected, but I confess that the Receive subvolumes option I didn't understand very well, where the system does not respond correctly and Explorer ends up crashing.

[ external image ]
On the other hand, a testament to the resilience and how the system is already in a good level of stability is the possibility to end the problematic process and be able to start it again, just as in Windows (although this is still not working very well) with external installers, especially MSI, which do not respond to the "End Task" command).

[ external image ]
In some other executables, in turn, they can have the Compatibility tab, which does not necessarily mean that it is something functional (at least for now).

[ external image ]
Although the audio driver for VirtualBox is successfully installed, as detailed in the first article, it does not necessarily start with success, even if some system signals, such as the sound icons in the tray, indicate otherwise.

[ external image ]
Speaking of audio, I did not succeed in playing a media file in the classic Windows Media Player 3 fork.

[ external image ]
And about DirectX's fork, ReactX, now the second tab has gained some information about the video drive, but the path is still long (although Vulkan could make this feature compatible, considering that OpenGL is already supported, as shown in the first article)...

[ external image ]
React OS also ships, by default, a feature that, in fact, is old and was made available by Microsoft for Windows XP, which is the possibility of mounting a disk image, but which, although functional, is not very practical to use.

[ external image ]
Over the past few years, as has already been pointed out, network resources are being implemented and the proof of how React OS has advanced in this regard is through Network Properties which, for now, only allow basic adjustments in the already limited (although still widely used) IPv4.

[ external image ]
However, the fields are very large, not allowing the typing of three numbers per octet, which is somewhat inconvenient bug.

[ external image ]
It can cause incorrect recognition of the subnet mask, for example.

[ external image ]
A very common feature on servers, but one that has caused a lot of problems for the React OS testers (as reported in the project forum - including the main reason I was unable to use version 0.4.13 after a reboot) is not recognizing the command CTRL + ALT + DEL (without the +), preventing you from going through the authentication screen, even in safe mode, which, well, still doesn't work as expected (in addition, when trying to reinstall, you run the risk Freeloader doesn't load, which doesn't happen in version 0.4.14).

[ external image ]
In this same line, curiously, winlogon cannot be activated with the system active, displaying the following error (this, in this case, was tested in version 0.4.14).

[ external image ]
Another finding, in version 0.4.14, is the authentication option after blocked startup (which was also translated), even after setting a password.

[ external image ]
What's more, the interesting thing about all of this is that authentication occurs normally when you log off , including using the key combination created by IBM.

Third-party applications
[ external image ]
As with Windows 2000, React OS also managed to launch Movie Maker 1.1 (which came with XP RTM) - although, perhaps, it is not very functional, due to the absence of codecs and key files.

[ external image ]
So I take the opportunity to mention that React OS already has the capability to register DLLs similar to Microsoft's OS and, just like when trying to run Movie Maker 6 (from Vista) on Seven and later, here I also tried to register the folder libraries and it worked as expected.

[ external image ]
And, just like in NT 5.0, before opening the video editor, it gives a database error.

[ external image ]
Just deny it six times, that the program will be able to circumvent the error (at least in this execution, since it will be repeated every time you want to run the program - that is, if there is no memory problem, as happened in my tests).

[ external image ]
Otter Browser, a fork of Opera Classic (based on the rendering engine Presto, which died in version 12.18), but using the also abandoned WebKit engine, is currently one of the only browsers that still supports XP / Server 2003 / Vista and ran without major problems.

[ external image ]
In addition to the Internet Explorer 8 fork made by the Wine Project, I was also able to open the official Microsoft versions 7 and 8, thanks to the Utilu IE Collection project , but they were unable to run very well, choking when trying to open a website.

[ external image ]
In addition, the installer requires certain conditions to be installed (I will not be able to point it out accurately, but be sure to install all supported components and runtimes to avoid surprises), which may give the error above.

[ external image ]
A Web browser that I didn't know, but that is extremely lean, and DPlus (unfortunately the project seems to have been abandoned), which may even work but, based on my tests, it may take a long time to open a website.

[ external image ]
Another Web browser that supposedly still supports the already obsolete NT 5.x is Lunascape , a Japanese project that ships with several rendering engines (IE 8 Trident, Gecko from Firefox 45.9 and WebKit, which the installer was unable to download). However, it seemed very laggy when running it and, with these engines that are no longer supported by several sites, I don't recommend its use.

[ external image ]
OpenOffice, currently maintained by the Apache project, is the only office suite that still supports XP onwards and, even with the slow development (from 4.1.2 to 4.1.7), it worked without problems and is, until now, safely , the best option of its kind for React OS.

[ external image ]
A good surprise is that Libreoffice, which had not run five years ago, worked on the system, but, unfortunately, is no longer supported.

[ external image ]
I took the opportunity to test the Notebook interface, similar to the Microsoft Office Ribbon, which was still being tested in version 5.x, but it didn't work out well, whose interface doesn't fit properly.

[ external image ]
Speaking of ribbon imitation, in Foxit Reader 9, the interface finally appears as expected and worked without major problems.

[ external image ]
However, the version 10, which, supposedly, says it still supports Windows XP and later, even installs, but cannot run, giving the error that indicates absence of APIs in the React OS kernel .

[ external image ]
The Application Center also provides Linux Reader for installation, a program that can identify and perform file system operations made for the Torvalds kernel , and it also worked.

[ external image ]
A surprise was the classic Windows 95 game, Pinball 3D, running on React OS, although it is not very stable (perhaps due to the absence of any component, although, even with the DirectX 9 APIs, they come natively on the system). It can be found here .

[ external image ]
VLC ran without major surprises, although it has already been announced that version 3.x will be the last series supported by NT 5.x.

[ external image ]
The 7-Zip also ran well on version 19.

[ external image ]
Google's WEBP images codec, which depends on the Windows image rendering APIs, even installs on React OS.

[ external image ]
But, due to the absence of this component and different functioning in React OS, it just doesn't work.

[ external image ]
Like the file defragmenter provided by the system, Defraggler even detects partition information, but fails to attempt to defrag it, claiming it is read-only.

[ external image ]
When trying to make the benchmark provided by the program, it also does not work, showing the error above.

[ external image ]
CCleaner, in turn, even works well (although it is no longer supported).

[ external image ]
But the interface is still problematic, except that, depending on the resolution of the system, it is not possible to adjust the window size properly.

[ external image ]
I tried to install Windows Script Host 5.6, a feature that allows the execution of scripts made in Visual Basic (VBS), using the installer made for Windows 98.

[ external image ]
And the components open without problems.

[ external image ]
But what matters is trying to run some script and I did the test: although there is no support (I had to run through CMD since there is no file association), it apparently happened as expected, despite the errors displayed.

[ external image ]
The Application Center also provides an OLE DB viewer, a specific database type based on COM technology , predecessor to .NET, which are APIs that facilitate the use of various programming languages ​​in different architectures, used until today to support legacy systems.

[ external image ]
Curiously, a component that comes with a 16-bit viewer was unable to run on React OS, even though the system was 32 bits, probably due to a limitation of the NTVDM fork .

[ external image ]
Even though I have an alternative client, that I told in my first article, I thought about installing the official version of the Remote Desktop Connection Client, here in version 5.2 (the same that originally came for Server 2003, available for 98, 2000 and ME, which can be found here - remembering that it does not replace files already present in React OS, being installed in another location). And, apparently, it ran without any major problems (although I haven't tested it further).

[ external image ]
One of my curiosities was trying to install some version of Windows Media Player.

[ external image ]
The installer of version 11 until it ran well (including, even managed to pass through the Windows Genuine License Activation system).

[ external image ]
But it can't install it because he claims it's not supported (version 10 didn't work either).

[ external image ]
But I didn't give up and tried to run other versions of the abandoned Microsoft media player. First I tried 6.4, both by the official installer and by the alternative method for Windows 95: the first didn't work and the second even installed it, but, when trying to run it, it gives the above memory error.

[ external image ]
So I tried version 7.1 (the same installer I used in the NT 4 and 95 articles, which you can find here ).

[ external image ]
And the program installed and managed to open without major problems, although with flaws in the interface.

[ external image ]
But I didn't stop there: I decided to test version 9. As the official installer didn't run, I decided to try the alternative version, packaged for 98/2000 / ME, which can be found here .

[ external image ]
Although the wizard is in English, the package provided must install the files in PT-BR.

[ external image ]
A warning that the installer provides is an error related to the System Restore feature, which does not exist in React OS, but is not displayed in the aforementioned versions of Microsoft systems.

[ external image ]
The files will be copied normally and the installation should finish, even giving the contradictory message above.

[ external image ]
And finally, WMP 9 should run, even with interface problems similar to version 7.

[ external image ]
However, when trying to open a skin file, the program deteriorates and starts showing memory errors, even when trying to run the executable again (the crash report generated by the system is available here).

[ external image ]
However, when trying to play a file, the error is reversed and the Media Player runs again, but is unable to perform the operation.

[ external image ]
Now comes one of the most sensitive parts of the system: the .NET Framework. Even though Wine Mono ( fork of the Microsoft library) is provided, as the React OS Application Center also provides the official installers, I tried to install version 1.1, to start.

[ external image ]
Every now and then a program may experience interface problems like this.

[ external image ]
But the installation fails to complete, giving some error during the copy and registration of the components.

[ external image ]
I remembered that a similar problem also occurs in Windows NT 4 (more details read here ) where, to resolve, it is necessary to copy the .NET Framework 1.1 folder installed from another system (XP, for example). To download the folder, click here .

[ external image ]
That done, just run the installer again and it is likely that this time it will complete successfully, including the language pack.

[ external image ]
Then I continued on to installing version 2, also listed in the Application Center.

[ external image ]
The main package installed without major problems.

[ external image ]
But, when trying to install the language pack, the error above is displayed, ostensibly, for each file that the installer tries to copy where, clicking cancel, it moves to the next component.

[ external image ]
Thus, in the end he even says that he installed successfully, which is not very reliable. Perhaps doing the same method as version 1.1 can help, but I cannot guarantee.

[ external image ]
I tried to install version 3.5, but I had problems to copy the installer to the system, where, at the point shown in the image above, the process ends up stagnating, in a strange way, crashing until Explorer. It may be a reason the installer is not available in the Application Center.

[ external image ]
Finally, the .NET Framework 4 does not install, claiming that it is already present on the system (perhaps it is incompatible with Wine Mono), although there are videos showing that the package has already been successfully installed in previous versions of React OS.

[ external image ]
However, when trying to install the language pack, the wizard claims that the main package is not installed, which is somewhat intriguing.

[ external image ]
Unfortunately, with this, the system will be advising about the absence of this version of the library, for each installer or program that requests it, something that is more common than desirable.

[ external image ]
The developers have ambitious plans for their future firewall, but while it doesn't come, the system supports TDI Firewall , an old program that runs on NT 4 or higher (it probably got depreciated after the release of a native version by Microsoft, for Windows XP), which worked great on React OS and can be downloaded here. More details, see this video , although there is not much secret in installing it.

[ external image ]
After restarting, it is recommended to take a look at the settings file, to better adjust how the programs will run, in addition to adapting to your network. An example can be seen here .

[ external image ]
For this, it is necessary to interrupt the service, opting for the graphical version, as I showed above, or also for the text mode, in the same way as in Windows (yes, the system supports the net command ).

[ external image ]
I also decided to test an antivirus and chose ClamWin , a derivative of the Clamav project , made for Linux, which worked without major problems.

[ external image ]
Considering the problem I mentioned when trying to install the Visual C ++ 2005 Redistributable Package, I tried to use the installer from the developer Wilenty , but, besides not being very stable, it stagnated precisely in this part.

[ external image ]
Finally, it is clear that it could not fail to appear: when trying to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack in version 0.4.13, simply when trying to restart, the Blue Screen of Death is displayed. You may see it in other scenarios, such as the fact that stability is depreciated after some idle time.

Conclusion
It is remarkable how much the system has evolved in the last five years, considering that the React OS has gone more in this 0.4.x series than in the previous fifteen years, becoming more concerned with the visual and with resources that make the project more usable for the (future) end user.

However, if in the first article I hoped that the system would someday be ready for production, now it is possible to say that time is playing against the project, as Microsoft, together with third-party program developers, will getting rid of previous versions of your operating system so that soon they can focus only on Windows 10, which can be a threat, as it has already been proven that, today, an operating system without applications hardly survives (although, for the Wine project, this is not a big problem, thanks to its focus on Linux as a support tool and not as a main thing).To give you an idea, the system has not yet reached the level of developers starting to worry about security, since it is one of the absences I felt in the Application Center, for example, which does not yet have a category of its kind (at least to allocate the TDI Firewall, mentioned in the analysis).

Anyway, a project so ambitious that it has been on the road for more than twenty years can already consider itself successful in pointing out new paths outside of Windows but with a smaller learning curve, showing that it is possible not to be so caught up in the restrictions of a closed system and enable, even if gradually, a more democratic access to information technology and survival of old and / or cheap machines and environments, but without giving up an already widespread ecosystem.
dizt3mp3r

Re: React OS 0.4.14 RC demonstration and analysis on VirtualBox 6.1.10 in Portuguese Brazil

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes, we saw your article earlier. By the way you can use the attachment tool to add images directly but I assume this is just a cut/paste?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
brunoalvieira

Re: React OS 0.4.14 RC demonstration and analysis on VirtualBox 6.1.10 in Portuguese Brazil

Post by brunoalvieira »

In fact, i reviewed a translation in english, for more convenience, since followers gave me the suggestion to post here on the forum.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Your contributions are welcome here. It was a thorough and accurate review.

I suggest you add some of the images as forum attachments to make your long post rather more attractive and readable. External links aren't very pretty so it looks like a long wall of text.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.