Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Panopticom

Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Post by Panopticom »

I have recently tested Firefox 48, Mypal and a little bit of Opera on ROS (installed through the Appmanager) and my concussion is that Mypal is the best browser out there. Mypal is derived from Pale Moon (itself derived from Firefox) and updated with WinXP binaries regularly.

Video, tested on real ThinkPad T430: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Fjew1Z16Q

Mypal
+ has a modern rendering engine and can display all sites without errors that I have tried
- does not play youtube videos despite officially supporting video extensions

Firefox 48
+ can play youtube videos (choppy)
- has some rendering bugs, example is the yt page itself, getting worse as FF48 ages more

Alternatives or opinons?
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Best web browser for ROS is Mypal?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Have you tried newer versions of those browsers? Firefox 52.9 was the last to run on XP and the MyPal version of RAPPs seems to be a really outdated version. There has been many updates since then.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:27 am Firefox 52.9 was the last to run on XP and the MyPal version of RAPPs seems to be a really outdated version.
There are some known problems running Firefox 52.9.0ESR in ReactOS (and that's why this version is not added in RAPPS), check out JIRA.
Panopticom

Post by Panopticom »

Someone on reddit posted this concerning browsers:

For the latest XP/ReactOS browsers, I recommend using roytam1's browser builds (New Moon 28/Serpent 52 for XP; New Moon 27 for ReactOS). Reason why i can't recommend NM28 for ReactOS is that it's based on Goanna/UXP, which was forked from Gecko 52, and due to a problem on ReactOS' side when running Firefox versions not less than 49 (JIRA), so unless it's fixed - can't recommend it.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... ds-part-2/

Compared to regular Pale Moon 27, which the official development has stopped long time ago, this one still is unofficially supported by the author, backporting fixes i.a. from Arctic Fox.

As of that HTML5 problem, it can be solven by copying the LAV codec DLLs to the root folder of the browser. It should also work for MyPal 27, not only for roytam's New Moon 27

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my- ... nt=1171972
Walt

Post by Walt »

Panopticom wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:49 pm Mypal
+ has a modern rendering engine and can display all sites without errors that I have tried
- does not play youtube videos despite officially supporting video extensions

Firefox 48
+ can play youtube videos (choppy)
- has some rendering bugs, example is the yt page itself, getting worse as FF48 ages more

Alternatives or opinons?
I'm doing okay with FF 30.0 under ros 0.4.12. It doesn't do video but does display websites correctly in general, including allowing DISQUS commenting. Dell Lat. D610, 32 gb hdd. Except for the features that aren't there yet this would be 100% usable -- but it hangs with near-100% cpu for FF task 'sometimes' and also BSOD pointing to TCPIP.sys 'sometimes' -- this may be only one bug. Five minutes, an hour ... when it strikes is random.

Other than that it's perfectly usable -- I'm using it now.

Later FF's -- don't know exactly HOW MUCH later -- hang with nothing on the screen. But 48 certainly does.

You can find add-ons for old FF by searching for CA-archive and installing that big add-on on a later FF under XP -- I use the 52 ESR. From that massive compilation of descriptions you can find by name or function and the suppliers mostly list what FF's they work with and allow download. Port them to ROS in whatever way you do that, install, good to go.

A very useful utility is desktop restore -- right click on desktop you can save layout. Then when ROS rearranges it right click and click 'restore desktop.' The file is 'deskinstu.msi' and a search for that will probably find it.

VERY CLOSE to being able to replace most of my use of XP with ROS! Fix the crashes, USB support, that's IT.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Old, but just came along to test that browser builds. I managed to get working x264 from my Plex with it, but not for much longer than a few sec. Still, nice build indeed.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
easeltine

Post by easeltine »

My opinion is that ReactOS is going to be one of my OS's in VirtualBox. If I want to watch a YouTube clip, a movie, etc., I am going to use the Host O/S. Based on what the architecture of ReactOS is, it is my opinion that all of you are pressing the envelope. I am very content with Opera 12.18, and K-Meleon 75.1 from the Applications Manager. They do not hang. At least the two Browsers, are good enough to look at Wikipedia articles. I think these other Browsers all of you are talking about run too buggy in ReactOS, they all Hang too much. Above FF48, will not even run on ReactOS. As it is, both of these Browsers,(O12, K75), are for XP w/SP2, it is amazing to me that they even run in ReactOS. ReactOS, is not as good as Windows XP w SP3, and all those Security updates. XP can run all my older programs, including Office 2007. ReactOS is pretty good though, Open Office 4.1 is great, and the Programs in the Applications Manager are good, yet I cannot put my older Windows programs from CD's on there, at least easily. It is a useful OS in the VirtualBox. Just for everybody's information, Opera 9.6-12.02 one is unable to look at Wikipedia pages anymore.
Last edited by easeltine on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easeltine

Post by easeltine »

I was trying to use DosBox, and experienced a complete crash of my ReactOS system. When I reinstalled ReactOS I found that MyPal 27.9.4 is no longer available, it NO LONGER can be accessed by the Application Manager. It is no longer on Git Hub, and I am unable to find MyPal 27.9.4 anywhere! Pale Moon does have their version of 27.9.4, it runs nice, though it will not run YouTube on ReactOS, neither will MyPal 28.9 even run on ReactOS, the current oldest version on the MyPal website. My recollection is that MyPal 27.9.4 could actually run YouTube, and the best Pale Moon out there is now New Moon 27.71, it does not run YouTube.
Again, as I said in my post above this, I will be watching a YouTube on the Lubuntu 18.04 LTS Host machine, yet it is just that a major component of where ReactOS wants to be has been cut-off, the ability to watch YouTube on ReactOS.
ReactOS team needs to protect the software hat is downloadable in the Application Manager. It may be in the future that any of these programs, (Apache Open Office, Libre 5, Mozilla Firefox 28, etc.), could be axed off forever in Software La La land. YouTube is also advancing in which Browsers can by used with them. As ReactOS becomes stagnant in advancement, Windows, OS/10, Chrome, and versions of Linux for PC's march on in advancement. ReactOS will shortly become like TempleOS if action is not taken immediately.
Last edited by easeltine on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The thread is old, this one is the newest split off: https://msfn.org/board/topic/182647-my- ... ds-part-3/
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Patrick Wechsler

Post by Patrick Wechsler »

Thank you!
middings

Post by middings »

Werru2955 uploaded a copy of MyPal 27.9.4 to the Internet Archive.
https://archive.org/details/mypal-27.9. ... .installer
easeltine

Post by easeltine »

Thank you! MyPal 27.9.4 seems to be the best choice of an Internet Browser.
RalfWausE

Post by RalfWausE »

I just recently installed 'K-Meleon on Goana', a - you may guessed it - Goana engine based port of the K-Meleon browser (which is being actively developed it seems). So far it seems most sites work and i am pretty happy with it.
roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

From now on it will be New Moon 28.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »