ROS 0.4.13dev working with USB & Ethernet on Thinkpad T430

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Panopticom

ROS 0.4.13dev working with USB & Ethernet on Thinkpad T430

Post by Panopticom »

ROS 0.4.13dev working with USB & Ethernet on real hardware Thinkpad T430.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwfKM8cFIDI

Some observations:

Ethernet driver installation was quite easy, just downloading the WinXP driver from Intel directly and pointing the ROS driver installer to the directory.

An older 8GB USB thumb drive worked directly on the older USB2 port on the T430. A newer thumb drive (USB3?) did not work.

I could read from a NTFS external USB-HDD, but not write to it.

Two external keyboards worked fine but my Logitech G400 mouse froze ROS immediately.
longtimefan

Re: ROS 0.4.13dev working with USB & Ethernet on Thinkpad T430

Post by longtimefan »

Love your videos! Glad to see a new one. What I like about them best is you can clearly see that ReactOS is improving substantially with each version. More and more drivers and hardware is working on your Thinkpad with each video you make. The new usb stack is really awesome, can't wait to test it myself!
Gaprosys

Post by Gaprosys »

ReactOS currently doesn't support USB3 and NTFS support is currently only for reading not writing.

I think, I read someday about the NTFS writing support is still experimental and you had to activate it manually, while building ReactOS from sources.

If I am wrong, please correct me.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

To enable experimental write support in NTFS, you can add a DWORD value named MyDataDoesNotMatterSoEnableExperimentalWriteSupportForEveryNTFSVolume with the value 1 to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntfs. It will take effect after a reboot.

USB3 support is only required for USB3 controllers, not USB3 devices (which are backward compatible) on USB1/2 controllers. So if this thumb drive doesn't work, it sounds like a bug -- so a debug log would be helpful. Same for the mouse.