Debug Logs on Windows - The Easy Guide

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeGuy

Re: Debug Logs on Windows - The Easy Guide

Post by SomeGuy »

BTW, couldn't ReactOS.org's ability to sign drivers be used to provide a proper signature for com0com?
milon

Post by milon »

Webunny wrote:On the other hand, I guess it can't hurt to let both methods stand, as long as it's clear it are two separate ways. Certainly as long as we aren't sure about the potential heavy output problem.
Occam's razor indeed! If we are going to talk about using COM ports (again, provided that VBox pipes are fixed), then I strongly suggest it go on a separate page on the wiki. The primary purpose of the tutorial as I see it is to get newbie debuggers producing their logs as easily as possible. If one wiki tries to cover 2 topics, which it really is, then it's just confusing and not helpful.

EDIT - I was going to post a question about VirtualBox & named pipes on the VirtualBox forum, but they want a lot of information to sign up - full name, your job, mailing address, etc. Does anyone else already have a VBox forum account?
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

milon wrote:
Webunny wrote:On the other hand, I guess it can't hurt to let both methods stand, as long as it's clear it are two separate ways. Certainly as long as we aren't sure about the potential heavy output problem.
Occam's razor indeed! If we are going to talk about using COM ports (again, provided that VBox pipes are fixed), then I strongly suggest it go on a separate page on the wiki. The primary purpose of the tutorial as I see it is to get newbie debuggers producing their logs as easily as possible. If one wiki tries to cover 2 topics, which it really is, then it's just confusing and not helpful.

EDIT - I was going to post a question about VirtualBox & named pipes on the VirtualBox forum, but they want a lot of information to sign up - full name, your job, mailing address, etc. Does anyone else already have a VBox forum account?
Not me, but, has anyone else responded yet?
milon

Post by milon »

Not that I've seen.
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

If I should post this somewhere else, sorry...

But what about VMWare users???

It is really really quite easy for us... just add a virtual com port, and type the name/location of the log file you want it to spit out.

Only hard part is remembering to copy the log and rename it before making a new one...

And the wiki is quite confusing, as no where does it seem to detail STEPS.

For VMWare:

1. Open the virtual machine settings.
2. Click on Serial Port (if none is listed, click add device and then serial port)
3. Choose 'output to file'
4. Give the log file a name.
5. Load virtual machine, new log is created.
6. Unload virtual machine after use, and COPY the log file to a new location with a descriptive filename detailing what error occurred.
7. When loading virtual machine in the future, you will be prompted to APPEND (add on to) or REPLACE (start a new log- deleting the previous one in the process.)

Everything else listed on that page details DIFFERENT ways to do the SAME THING (in essence). But this is BY FAR the simplest method for ALL VMWare product users.

On a side note, I feel the wiki is really outdated and confusing. I had a heck of a time locating through the provided wiki links on the wiki homepage (no search function use) the specific page on VMWare debugging.

BELOW HAS BEEN POSTED SEPARATELY IN HOPEFULLY APPROPRIATE FORUM

I would be interested in updating the wiki if I am allowed to... and if it is acceptable what changes I proposed.

I feel it could be beneficial to have a forum just to pre-publish Wiki articles for approval. That way, as new info/changes occur, the forum post on the topic will hopefully have details already published by the devs talking in the post. Then the Wiki can be updated possibly directly from the forum posts...

If nothing else, I'm interested in compiling updated information gathered through IRC and the forum as well as personal experience to update a great deal of the Wiki- posting my proposed articles in the forum first, for review and approval.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DeadDude wrote:If I should post this somewhere else, sorry...

But what about VMWare users???

It is really really quite easy for us... just add a virtual com port, and type the name/location of the log file you want it to spit out.

Only hard part is remembering to copy the log and rename it before making a new one...

And the wiki is quite confusing, as no where does it seem to detail STEPS.

For VMWare:

1. Open the virtual machine settings.
2. Click on Serial Port (if none is listed, click add device and then serial port)
3. Choose 'output to file'
4. Give the log file a name.
5. Load virtual machine, new log is created.
6. Unload virtual machine after use, and COPY the log file to a new location with a descriptive filename detailing what error occurred.
7. When loading virtual machine in the future, you will be prompted to APPEND (add on to) or REPLACE (start a new log- deleting the previous one in the process.)

Everything else listed on that page details DIFFERENT ways to do the SAME THING (in essence). But this is BY FAR the simplest method for ALL VMWare product users.

On a side note, I feel the wiki is really outdated and confusing. I had a heck of a time locating through the provided wiki links on the wiki homepage (no search function use) the specific page on VMWare debugging.

BELOW HAS BEEN POSTED SEPARATELY IN HOPEFULLY APPROPRIATE FORUM

I would be interested in updating the wiki if I am allowed to... and if it is acceptable what changes I proposed.

I feel it could be beneficial to have a forum just to pre-publish Wiki articles for approval. That way, as new info/changes occur, the forum post on the topic will hopefully have details already published by the devs talking in the post. Then the Wiki can be updated possibly directly from the forum posts...

If nothing else, I'm interested in compiling updated information gathered through IRC and the forum as well as personal experience to update a great deal of the Wiki- posting my proposed articles in the forum first, for review and approval.
I've only updated the VB/putty paragraphs, since that's what I use. And those are pretty good/up to date now, and far more easy to follow than they used to be.

So feel free to do the same with VMware debug-pages. As far as I know, the wiki is open to changes to anyone, so go ahead and improve upon the VM-ware part.
DeadDude

Post by DeadDude »

:D

awesome
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

DeadDude wrote::D

awesome
It might be useful to look at the tutorials on the forum to see if something useful has already been made. My work on the wiki would not have been possible (or at least, not as fast) without the invaluable aid and work of other Ros-fans that already made some tutorials about it.