ReactOS Frugal Installation

Got a ReactOS tutorial to share? Drop it in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Julcar

ReactOS Frugal Installation

Post by Julcar »

One of the main features of Linux is the possibility of perform a Frugal Installation that take some of the advantages of a LiveCD running, but using the same resources from a HardDisk installation.

As ReactOS evolves, it is possible to imitate this Linux feature.

A common LiveCD directory scheme is as follows:
folder_scheme.PNG
folder_scheme.PNG (3.04 KiB) Viewed 14958 times
Of them, we are going to use only:

/loader/setupldr.sys which is to be renamed as /freeldr.sys
/Profiles contains user folders such as My Documents and Application Data
/reactos the most important as it has inside all of the needed files by ReactOS
freeldr.ini our freeloader config file

Now these files must be copied to our Hard Disk, preferably to the root of the active partition.

Once copied it's time to edit freeldr.ini to adapt it to the Frugal environment, this consists in removing the switch /MININT from boot options, and adding an ARC path to SystemPath parameter, this must be accurate with the partition where our Frugal installation resides, i.e. multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\reactos

If the partition is shared with another pre-existent OS, and/or if the Hard Disk has already a boot loader installed, let's say GRUB, is needed to add the ReactOS freeloader to the list

Code: Select all

title ReactOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /freeldr.sys
Update 1: Is better to get rid of the default HAL (no ACPI) unless you know that your CPU does not support ACPI, but for the newer processors just make sure to delete hal.dll in /reactos/system32 and rename halacpi.dll to hal.dll.

And that is, you can reboot and init ReactOS as it was installed with the traditional way, except that some customization options are missing (but likely hidden in the registry), this is a TODO for a second revision of the tutorial.
Last edited by Julcar on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
maugaci

Re: ReactOS Frugal Installation

Post by maugaci »

Thanks for sharing, it has worked very well for me
Dogon

Post by Dogon »

Thank you so much. I will try it tmorrow morninng.
Dogon

Post by Dogon »

I tried frugal install but i think did somethings wronge and it gives me black screen after grub. But i dont understand completely. Becoz probubly tutorial little bit superficial for give me. i had replace systempath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\reactos and deleted /minint ones. copied all instructed folders and files.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I tried this on ReactOs version 4.15 dev 5853 using syslinux and it works , I even booted it off a USB drive