SageThumbs Code Should Intergrated In To ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOSGuy

Re: SageThumbs Code Should Intergrated In To ReactOS

Post by DOSGuy »

It's a good point that the image has to be uncompressed into a bitmap to view it. I would support Explorer being able to save any supported image format to any bitmapped image format (which would allow JPG to BMP/PNG, but not BMP/PNG to JPG). I still think that altering the image, such as by changing the quality of a lossy compression algorithm, should be left to full-fledged image manipulation software.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

DOSGuy, I agree. I do believe Windows offers to save as .JPG in a few places, but mainly just in Paint or when the image started as .JPG. I agree with not changing the quality of a lossy format or saving to a lossy format when one is not already used.

Another point is if someone doesn't know what they are doing, they could really screw up their images. However, if they are one to install photo/image programs, then they would likely have more of a grasp on image formats and their limitations. So not adding extra features can help protect a lot of newbies. Sure, a newbie of a photo tool may also make serious mistakes, but they won't be on us.

As for altering the image, interestingly, Windows does have the ability to rotate images in the Fax and Image viewer. For .jpg, that requires reencoding, and Windows warns about the possible quality loss and that it is irreversible.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

"Another point is if someone doesn't know what they are doing, they could really screw up their images. However, if they are one to install photo/image programs, then they would likely have more of a grasp on image formats and their limitations. So not adding extra features can help protect a lot of newbies. Sure, a newbie of a photo tool may also make serious mistakes, but they won't be on us.'

ALL image editing software should flash a message "please make a back up copy of your image BEFORE you start editing it" , that could flash the whole time the app is running. :lol:

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

betaluva wrote:ALL image editing software should flash a message "please make a back up copy of your image BEFORE you start editing it" , that could flash the whole time the app is running. :lol:
LOL! I wouldn't go that far. The hard way seems to work well. I learned some lessons in manipulating many audio files and many images, and I tend to make backups or saves after every crucial edit.

Getting back to the main topic, I think we should at least consider the proposed code and at least examine it, since there may be some things in there useful to Reactos. There is no need to recode for what good open source code exists. Even if not, the users are free to download and install it as an extension.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i think this could be a good addition too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnJck2Ql ... r_embedded#!