SageThumbs Code Should Intergrated In To ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

SageThumbs Code Should Intergrated In To ReactOS

Post by betaluva »

SageThumbs 2.0.0.12¶

SageThumbs is a powerful shell extension allowing to preview enormous amount of image formats directly in Windows Explorer by using Pierre-e Gougelet's GFL library (XnView's author).
Features¶•Extended thumbnail image view of Explorer folder
•Thumbnail image in explorer context menu (rigth-click menu)
•Extended info tips
•Support 162 image formats (224 extensions) via GFL Library
•Support additional 26 image formats via XnView plugins (if installed)
•Send by mail support
•One-click conversion to popular image formats support
•Wallpaper selection support
•Copy to clipboard support
Please read carefully the following information:¶As SageThumbs is a Windows Explorer context menu extension, there is no an executable file that you should launch to bring it up. To use it, just open any folder with image files in Windows
Explorer, and then right-click a file you want to preview. You'll see the thumbnail immediately in the context menu.
External plugins¶SageThumbs can use external XnView plugins, it tries to automatically detect XnView installation folder or if failed it will use predefined folder. Typically this folder is "C:\!Program files\XnView\PlugIns\" for 32-bit SageThumbs on 32-bit Windows or 64-bit SageThumbs on 64-bit Windows and "C:\!Program Files (x86)\XnView\PlugIns\" for 32-bit SageThumbs on 64-bit Windows. So if you have no XnView installed you can create this folder manually and unpack plugins to it. Just don't forget that you need same "bit capacity" for plugins and SageThumbs.
System Requirements¶•Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 32/64-bit
•About 5 Mb of disk space + additional space for cache

Copyrights¶SageThumbs Copyright (C) Nikolay Raspopov, 2004-2011. Web site: http://www.cherubicsoft.com/projects/sagethumbs
GFL Library, GFL SDK and XnView Copyright (C) Pierre-E Gougelet, 1991-2011. Web site: http://www.xnview.com/
LocalizeRC 1.6 Copyright (C) Konrad Windszus, 2003-2004.
Languages¶To help in translation of SageThumbs interface just download language ini-file from Sources, translate it (using for example Notepad) and e-mail it to me ( ryo.rabbit@gmail.com ). It will be definitely included in next version.
•Chinese
•French
•German
•Italian
•Portuguese
•Russian
•Spanish
•Swedish
=========
License: GNU GPL2
webpage: http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

SOURCE: http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/source/checkout

DOWNLOAD: http://sagethumbs.googlecode.com/files/ ... _setup.exe

*i just tried Sagethumbs 2.0 on ReactOS build 54453 and it installed, it could place a image as a wallpaper but it couldnt convert images to different formats:
[ external image ]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
gonzoMD

Re: SageThumbs Code Should Intergrated In To ReactOS

Post by gonzoMD »

I think only some parts are interesting, so the preview could be integrated to explorer_new to match windows behaviour.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

This sounds quite interesting to me. It would have to be broken up and incorporated in various places. For displaying thumbnails in folders, that could be added into Explorer New. As for displaying things in general, rather than previewing in a context menu, it would do better in the Picture and Fax Viewer. Then the conversion stuff could be added to the explorer as part of the Save As command. Windows has rudimentary conversion in the explorer. A .JPG could be saved as a .JPG or converted to .BMP (which Windows already has to pretty much do to display it - so you just keep the buffer and add a .BMP header to it and there it is).
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i like PurpleGurl,s suggestions, i dont know about anybody else but i would love to have the ability to convert images, built into Explorer.

"A .JPG could be saved as a .JPG or converted to .BMP (which Windows already has to pretty much do to display it - so you just keep the buffer and add a .BMP header to it and there it is)."

are you saying that windows cant display a jpeg with converting it to a BMP? or are talking about Windows converting jpeg,s to BMP when a image is used as a wallpaper?
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Windows doesn't give you the opportunity to convert an image while browsing the folders with explorer.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

There's no reason why ROS can't be better than Windows, but I'm not really sure how necessary it is to be able to convert an image from Explorer. When I want to convert an image, I just open it in Paint or GIMP or something. I wouldn't mind having the option from Explorer I guess.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

It would be really nice if just changing the file extension(from .bmp to .jpeg) the explorer recognizes that I want to change the format, and after warning me, ReactOS procedes to modify the file accordingly.
It would be really impressive.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

That would be super cool! All the focus is on trying to get ROS as good as Windows, but it would feel good to be able to say, "Here's something that ROS can do that Windows can't."
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
milon

Post by milon »

If ROS does that, then in it's warning/confirmation screen it could ask if you want to make a new file for the new extension or just change the existing one. It could also have a "remember my answer" option. But why stop there? Audio files and video files can be converted between formats. So can Word documents and spreadsheets....

I like the idea of Explorer auto-converting files based on its extension, but I think we need to talk about the scope of new features before jumping in with them. Features are awesome, but feature creep is not.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

To me, feature creep is when there are so many options that you can't easily navigate through them in an options menu. This conversion feature would be totally invisible until someone tries to change the extension of a file, and it would only pop up in that one, appropriate situation. If you mean that it's a mistake to create too large a feature wish list, then I agree, but I don't think this a "feature creep" situation in the sense of having too damned many features in an options menu somewhere.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

The same warning for converting might give you the option to choose how much to compress the image when you turn it to jpg.

About videos and music, the warning should include an "It might take a while" warning, because that takes far more time than converting an image.

Everything, supposing someone actually do it.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I think it goes too far at that point. An operating system should do little else than operate the system, allowing third-party software to do whatever else the user needs. I don't have an objection to the operating system doing something as basic as translating an image into an identical image in a different format (such as conversion between bitmapped formats like GIF, BMP and PNG). Once you start talking about a conversion that results in output that differs from the input, such as changing the quality of a JPEG or video file, I think that this becomes advanced functionality that ought to be part of a full-fledged application. That could be a ROS equivalent of MS Paint, but I'd probably prefer to use GIMP or VirtualDub. If a third-party program would do it better, leave it out of the OS and make the third-party program available in the ReactOS Application Manager.
milon

Post by milon »

That's what I was getting at, DOSGuy. I would love to see the ability to change an image file type just by renaming the extension. That would be awesome! We just have to know when enough is enough. IMO, when changing an image format, the user shouldn't even have the option of selecting a compression ratio. There should be 1 default for that, and if the user wants anything different then they need to use a graphics program like IrfanView or GIMP or something.

And I really don't think that video or audio conversions are something an OS should do. It's best to leave that to 3rd party apps as they're far more complicated. But I wouldn't be against ROS having the abililty to seamlessly call a 3rd party app to do a conversion based on a user's pre-specified parameters. ;)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm in full agreement with Milon. There's no need for ROS to convert audio or video when there are so many great third-party programs for that. That functionality starts to turn ROS from an OS into an application suite. If it's anything more complicated than making an identical copy of an image in a different file format, let some other software take care of that. If ROS was an incompatible OS, it would need all the functionality we could possibly give it, but as a Windows-compatible OS, there's no need to provide functionality that is widely available in free software for Windows.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

betaluva wrote:i like PurpleGurl,s suggestions, i dont know about anybody else but i would love to have the ability to convert images, built into Explorer.

"A .JPG could be saved as a .JPG or converted to .BMP (which Windows already has to pretty much do to display it - so you just keep the buffer and add a .BMP header to it and there it is)."

are you saying that windows cant display a jpeg with converting it to a BMP? or are talking about Windows converting jpeg,s to BMP when a image is used as a wallpaper?
A .JPG is a compressed image. Before it can be displayed, it basically has to be decoded. If you are going to go through that trouble, you might as well have the option to save it back as a .BMP, since you would already have the decompressed image in memory by that point, and it is trivial to add the header. That seems to be Windows behavior, and that is our goal, to do most things the Windows way, and to allow you to do everything you can do with Windows. When you do a Save-As, whether through Windows' previewer or while in IE, or anywhere else, if the image is a jpeg, you often have the ability already to save it as a .BMP. I assume that ability is in the shell itself. Now, it wouldn't hurt if there were a couple more options there, like save as .TIF (uncompressed to not step on anyone's patents or whatever). TIFF is a common input format of many photo programs if you don't want to work with compressed images for quality reasons. PNG should also be considered, since I think it is an open format. But there is no need to add too many.

My point was to put things in places that are logical for Windows. If you were converting to something like .PDF, then it would be logical to have it as a printer driver, though if anyone wants that, there are probable plenty of open source or at least free programs for that which anyone can download. Another logical place would be in an office suite, and when we become more compatible, Open Office should run fine. Open Office already has such ability, IIRC.

So that takes us back to what the devs look at when considering suggestions for Reactos - whether Windows already has such ability, whether such code already exists as open source, and whether there is a considerable demand.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.