Slight change to install method

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

milon

Slight change to install method

Post by milon »

I was doing some VirtualBox testing with ROS 54527 the other day, installing fresh on a blank drive. I got to the point where the installer said to remove any disks and reboot to move to the next phase of installation. At this point I shut the virtual machine off. When I started it up again, it restarted the initial installation process. It seems there's one final small step it does before actually rebooting (copying or saving a file or two). Could that be done before prompting the user to remove disks & reboot? I thought it was safe to shut down, but apparently it wasn't.

jonaspm

Re: Slight change to install method

Post by jonaspm »

you dont need to shut down virtual box, just wait...

because virtual box restars by its own

oldman

Post by oldman »

I got to the point where the installer said to remove any disks and reboot to move to the next phase of installation.
It should say to remove all media (floppy disk, CD) and press enter. If you do that, Ros will then reboot itself into the second stage of installation. When you have entered all the info in this stage, Ros will automatically reboot itself into the desktop.

milon

Post by milon »

You guys are right, but that's not what I was aiming at. The reason I shut it off was because I didn't want it to reboot. I did this before figuring out how to get past the mshtml bug (increase virtual machine ram to 512MB), so I wanted to delete mshtml.dll before moving to phase 2. That's really beside the point, though.

The point I want to make is that when you're installing Windows, when it says remove disks and press any key to reboot, it's done. You can shut the computer off right then and start up again later and it'll be fine and it'll continue with it's phase 2 setup. ROS isn't the same right now. It still has work to do after you hit a key to reboot. It shouldn't have to redo phase 1 if the user resets or powers off at the hit-any-key-to-reboot screen. It's really not a huge deal, but I just wanted to point out the inconsistency - especially since it has potential to confuse an end user.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh, was the disk removed?

milon

Post by milon »

I left the boot CD attached to the virtual machine, but that shouldn't cause a problem - it says to press a key to boot from CD. I always tend to leave the CD on until setup is complete and ROS is running. Give it a try yourself with a copy of Windows if you have access to one, and a copy of ROS and compare the behavior.