ReactOS Facebook Group Page

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Witch

Re: ReactOS Facebook Group Page

Post by Witch »

* If things are done the unofficial way then you will only attract non ReactOS regulars.
* If things are done the official way then ReactOS regulars will join.

That's the only two outcome I can see from walking this current path.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Let's not let this degenerate into a war of words.

I haven't joined the group and I don't intend to. The group may have been created with the best of intentions, but the optics are bad. It just doesn't look right to create a ReactOS Facebook group without the support or blessing of the ReactOS development team and then ask everyone to support it. If there's already a ReactOS Facebook group, why doesn't everyone post on that? You don't have to be an admin to post to the existing group.

Hopefully everyone who follows this project read the minutes of the November meeting. In it, you will find that Aleksey (the project leader) considers PR very important. A decision was made to let a PR team evolve with the help of the ReactOS community. I intend to offer to be involved in this effort, and I recommend that the two admins of this new Facebook group do the same. You've shown initiative, which is good, but creating this group "the unofficial way" is creating division, which is bad. An official Facebook group should be part of the PR team's mandate, so let's do this "the official way" so that everyone can support your efforts.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

DOSGuy wrote:Let's not let this degenerate into a war of words.

I haven't joined the group and I don't intend to. The group may have been created with the best of intentions, but the optics are bad. It just doesn't look right to create a ReactOS Facebook group without the support or blessing of the ReactOS development team and then ask everyone to support it. If there's already a ReactOS Facebook group, why doesn't everyone post on that? You don't have to be an admin to post to the existing group.

Hopefully everyone who follows this project read the minutes of the November meeting. In it, you will find that Aleksey (the project leader) considers PR very important. A decision was made to let a PR team evolve with the help of the ReactOS community. I intend to offer to be involved in this effort, and I recommend that the two admins of this new Facebook group do the same. You've shown initiative, which is good, but creating this group "the unofficial way" is creating division, which is bad. An official Facebook group should be part of the PR team's mandate, so let's do this "the official way" so that everyone can support your efforts.
I couldn't agree more with your statement.. I've also offered myself and hopefully we'll be working together... :)
As far as I concern the Facebook group will always be unofficial, yet it will still consist many updates regarding the project.
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Well worst case is that you disable all notifications from the group and check in manually from time to time. Consider the fact finding interesting news is impossible on the forums/main webpage - at least until the new drupal webpage is active. It's doesn't matter WHO makes the group, the ReactOS leaders are able to join, get promoted and even ask us to leave being admins - which I would gladly do if I could get involved in real time chat, vote in polls and comment on the news from my mobile device easily.

Now I can see this isn't going to work without more people joining in, so if you guys are happy to leave the news of ReactOS stagnant and behind the times, yeah just b!_ch and complain and don't do anything to make it something you would use - that's why ReactOS's development has been so slow already - people are just unwilling to work on their own problems - they just want a free open sourced OS to use, it's not there yet people, remember -

"Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.13 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use."

This means time and skill is required first.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey everyone,

The discussion on this thread has been very helpful for the ROS team and community, for the sole reason that it sparked the discussion of establishing a PR team as quickly as possible. While the Facebook group page was intended for good purposes, the community did not find our page helpful nor necessary to help the project. Sadly, we had no increase in members to the group, and we all learned that we desperately need a PR team as quickly as possible.

For all good intentions, we, the community, are the leaders of this project within the community, alongside with the amazing development team that is dedicating itself to the project day and night, in order to reach the ultimate goal: achieve a free alternative OS that the end-user will feel comfortable with.

While it hurts me to do so, I'm considring at this time to close the ROS Facebook group, and maintain the official page. With everyone's help, we can spread the word beyond our computers and into the open world, so we can all share the experience and support the development team on their quest to complete the OS.

Thank you all for taking part in this thread. Let us work together, so we may enjoy the fruits of tomorrow. :)

Sincerely,
ArmyMan007

ReactOS - What's Your React? XD
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the closer of the ROS Facebook group, since there was no activity within the group. While it was a good idea to go with, there was simply no point at this time to keep the page up and running. Thus, this led to the closer of the Facebook group.

While this marks the end of the community's attempt to create an unofficial-yet-user-friendly page, there is much to learn from this attempt, primarily the requirement of a functional PR team. At this time a team is being assembled, and hopefully we will fulfill our part, as a whole, to support the project as best as we can. PR is no less important then anything else on the project, and hopefully ROS will become active at this area, so we can spread the word across the world.

Once again, and finally, I want to thank everyone for taking part in this thread or in our unofficial group. I hope that we will make the necessary progress, so that we will enjoy in the near future the ability to deliver the best OS in the world, absolutely free.

Sincerely,
ArmyMan007

ReactOS - What's Your React? XD
Witch

Post by Witch »

Nice initiative nonetheless Armydude the result was satisfactory.

Official or Unofficial I still don't like using Facebook. :P
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Why close it after such a short period of time? Things like this take years to build up.

Then again, I guess FaceBook is mostly the "That is soooo 24 seconds ago" type crowd. :lol:
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Because the initial hype and usage were so lacking, then there was everyone taking the time to say something negative about having "yet another" page, so we'll all just stick to using the official one and wait 6 - 7 more months for a new post on it... yay
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

GlennLChugg wrote:Because the initial hype and usage were so lacking, then there was everyone taking the time to say something negative about having "yet another" page, so we'll all just stick to using the official one and wait 6 - 7 more months for a new post on it... yay
/me redirects to GlennLChugg to the new PR Team which is going to care about ReactOS Facebook age among other tasks.

This is more about joining efforts in one place than splitting in 10 different Facebook pages( Just google about the number of ReactOS Dead facebook pages)
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Yeah, I was just letting people know how the previous efforts have not been a shining example and that "hopefully" things will change, because months between posts, when it's a community driven project is like saying you (The devs) don't care what the public think of your work.. even tho it may be true at the moment, I do want ROS to have things in motion when the product is worthy of public attention, tho I guess more news will happen once it's closer to being finished anyway, re-writes are very important but man are they boring to document :)
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Okay, I'll join the ReactOS page and do my part. Which of the ReactOS pages is "official"? The first four pages that come up have 746, 81, 87, and 290 likes.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Witch

Post by Witch »

The one that Z98 posted.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..During the last month new apps and hardware began running because these rewrites. I am sure most of our Facebook fans wont be skilled enough to understand the technical details of the rewrites but the results. This is called "speech modulation" so the info is adjusted to the skills of the potential readers.
Z98 Newsletters are oriented,mainly,to technical readers although he is doing big efforts to make them understandable to non-skilled too.
Facebook messages will be, in the other hand, exposing the results of the rewrites avoiding the technical area as much as possible: Pictures of new apps working, Calls for new testers/designers/devs, General information about development, Sharing videos made by the ReactoS Community, and so on..
And if any Facebook follower wants to learn more, he just has to read ReactOS newsletters, contact us in the IRC channel or join the ReactOS Forum..
I'm sure that current revamp could have been done in weeks(instead months) if ReactOS would have had a good Community basement, hence(among others)the need of this PR Team :)