ReactOS Facebook Group Page

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Witch

Re: ReactOS Facebook Group Page

Post by Witch »

ArmyMan007 wrote:Also, try to understand that the PR of this project isn't very high, so as a wanna-be PR person (more of a politician really, but you got to start somewhere :P )
Well this project needs a variety of people even politicians alike. Somebody once explained to me that this project is like building an entire city from scratch. To accomplish that you can't just rely on engineers and construction workers alone there is a lot that needs to be handled apart from the construction part.

Who knows maybe one day you will be a key player in ReactOS' PR team. But for now you have explained your intentions and the ball is on the other side of the court. There's not much left to do from here on than sit and wait for the verdict from the higher ups...

Patience is a virtue as the saying goes. ;)
milon

Post by milon »

Witch wrote:Who knows maybe one day you will be a key player in ReactOS' PR team. But for now you have explained your intentions and the ball is on the other side of the court. There's not much left to do from here on than sit and wait for the verdict from the higher ups...
Actually, there is something you can do, ArmyMan007. The ReactOS devs, mods, etc don't know who you are (they don't really know who I am either - look at my post count). So help us get to know you. Test ReactOS, blog about it, etc. There's lots of ways you can help in the meantime.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

For the record, I have never stated that the Facebook page is an "official" one nor have I ever intended on doing so. Where does it say, in any of my posts, that the ROS Facebook page is an official one?

Again, DOSGuy, the purpose of this page is to simply allow people to get more acquainted with the project and to be able to communicate with one another using the Facebook medium. Like I wrote before, there are simply too many Facebook pages and groups to tell the difference between fake and real, and my attempt is probably the first REAL attempt to create a Facebook portal where everyone can join up.

And regarding DOSGuy comment, it really hurts me to know that just because I'm a fan and not an "official" personal on this project, I can't do anything to support this project. The whole purpose is being done as a gesture and a good will to support the project. If any of the admins or the devs find my attempt useless, harmful or "unofficial" in any way what so ever, then I guess I have nothing to look for in this ambitious project.
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
milon

Post by milon »

I don't think that's what DosGuy is trying to get at. Please don't take it personally - it's just that no one here knows you, and know one knows what you'll do with ROS's public image. Of course you know, but no one else does. I'd probably get the same reaction if I tried what you're trying - look at my post count. I've been around a while, but I haven't contributed much so no one knows anything about me. It's not a personal thing.

So, again, find other ways to contribute. Or get on the reactos IRC and talk with people. Once people are more comfortable with your presence, they're more likely to give you a full backing.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

I agree with your statement milon, but you can't really look to a person just by the number of posts that I have posted on the forums. Number is not a measurement of how supportive or contributing you are to the project. I've been a member for a long time, and a spectator for a longer period of time before I became a forum member.

The whole idea, for the gazilion time, is to offer a method of interaction between the project leaders and the community in an open and friendly environment medium.

The choice of entering the page or not belongs solely to the individual person. But at least I believe that I'm trying to do what the "official" page has failed to do: connect the people to the project, and vice versa.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

What I'm understanding is that you're not trying to make this new group official, you just want it to be active. Awesome! But if there's already an official Facebook page, why don't we just activate that one? Let's all join it and post stuff. Why create a new group and further fragment and confuse ReactOS's fans and followers if we could just start using the group that already exists?

You certainly don't have to be official to contribute. I'm not formally part of the project. I'm just a fan, and I'm using my limited resources to help the project by doing things like writing about it on my website and voting for the 1000 Euro prize a few weeks ago. There are lots of ways for everyone to contribute!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
ShellyM

Post by ShellyM »

I agree with DOSGuy. Why can’t we just me supportive on this project.
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Well you don't really need a official page, the Group method works fine for the communication and news purpose's, I've requested to join the group and look forward to future discussions on it :) Groups allow multiple admins, so really it's ideal than setting up a fake ReactOS user account on facebook where only one person can control it.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

First and foremost, if this is something that you are inspired to do and gets positive attention, then by all means go for it! Everyone is different and has different preferences for communication medium. Personally I wouldn't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole, I also don't do IRC or other "realtime" messaging. But don't let that stop you if you think it can succeed. Lol, how about a ReactOS usenet news group? alt.comp.reactos anybody? :D
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

I agree with GlennLChugg, the purpose all along was to be able to communicate within the community AND if possible to extend it beyond the forum community.

By the way, the group reached an amazing number of 8 members! Go team go!
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

My LastOS group was started in July and I only have 19 members, I am confident ReactOS will pass that in next to no time :)
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hey everyone,

The group has grown to a great number of 14 members!!! Let's keep it up people! :-)

Latest Updates:

*In addition to myself I've added Glenn Chugg to become the 2nd admin of the group. He has also edited the group description in addition to adding some friends of his own to the group.
*A video of ReactOS shown on Russian channel 5 news is being viewed by the group members. While there is no translation to English, it's pretty obvious that the Russian bear have seen the full potential of ReactOS, in addition to previous encounters with the OS (like the one with the Russian president about 2-3 months ago)
*At this time we ask the community to share with the Facebook group any pictures or articles relating to ROS, especially event photos. As always, the link is available to all on the first post of this thread.

Let's make this work! :D
Last edited by ArmyMan007 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GlennLChugg

Post by GlennLChugg »

Yep, with more admins in the group, you'll not have to wait as long to get access. I live in Tasmania Australia, so my timezone GMT + 10 should offer a few hours when people in the US should be sleeping but aren't, you know... like devs :D
livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Just left their idiotic group page these guys don't know crap about this project. All they do is copy the forum, post senseless notifications 5 times a day and do nothing but annoy me. If an Admin or someone with actually affiliation with the core leadership of the project would like to contribute to the project then fine. For now though I've just chosen to leave this useless and childish group. Sorry guys but you really are that annoying..!
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

First of all livestrong2109, there's a thing called constructive comment. You really should learn how to do that...

Second, we asked everyone to start SHARING stuff on the page, and that's exactly what we did and still are doing. YOU on the other hand didn't contribute even a single post to the page (not including your first and only insulting post).

The whole point of this page was to create a medium of communication between all of the ROS community, and while this is a small step we are still trying very hard to do our best. With words and comments like yours, there's no hope for our group. You're free to leave the group and join back whenever you feel like it, but at least show some respect to people who are at least trying to do something for the benefit of the project, unlike you.