Is it possible to build ROS w. MSC++?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Arloan

Is it possible to build ROS w. MSC++?

Post by Arloan »

Maybe there will be a performance improvement of ROS compiled with the free C++ compiler shipped with Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003?
Have anyone tried that?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ReactOS can yet be compile with mircrosft Visual Studio or Mircosoft Visual C.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

So it's now possible to compile with VC++ ? Great
Is there any help/tutorial about how to compile it?
I searched in the wiki, but didn't find anything.
GvG

Post by GvG »

I think GreatLord dropped a "not".... ReactOS can NOT yet be compile with mircrosft Visual Studio or Mircosoft Visual C.

Christopher_vW is actively working on it though.
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

GvG wrote:I think GreatLord dropped a "not".... ReactOS can NOT yet be compile with mircrosft Visual Studio or Mircosoft Visual C.

Christopher_vW is actively working on it though.
Ahh! Ok :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

you're probably better off going with MinGW anyway... a lot of the devs compile ReactOS on GNU/Linux, and I don't think they're going to switch operating systems to use Microsoft's compiler (no matter how many more APIs that one has over MinGW).
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Yes I did drope the Not thx GvG
I need be more carefull
Christoph_vW
Developer

Post by Christoph_vW »

Some parts can already be compiled with MSVS.

to create the project files for VS type:

"make msvc6" - VS 6
"make msvc7" - VS 2002
"make msvc71" - VS 2003
"make msvc8" - VS 2005

or:

"rbuild -vs8 msvc"

best results with VS > 6
Arloan

Post by Arloan »

Good news! So, seems it's possible to compile ROS with ICC on Intel based compuster in the near future ... hehe, just kidding.
Christoph_vW wrote:Some parts can already be compiled with MSVS.

to create the project files for VS type:

"make msvc6" - VS 6
"make msvc7" - VS 2002
"make msvc71" - VS 2003
"make msvc8" - VS 2005

or:

"rbuild -vs8 msvc"

best results with VS > 6
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Mike wrote:you're probably better off going with MinGW anyway... a lot of the devs compile ReactOS on GNU/Linux, and I don't think they're going to switch operating systems to use Microsoft's compiler (no matter how many more APIs that one has over MinGW).
You will allway have the choise between MinGw and Vc++. We do not want to use MSVC, because it has more APIs, but because it is faster.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

you're probably better off going with MinGW anyway... a lot of the devs compile ReactOS on GNU/Linux, and I don't think they're going to switch operating systems to use Microsoft's compiler (no matter how many more APIs that one has over MinGW).
Most of us using windows to devloping, and few of us using linux. And I know it is some people want see reactos compiles with MSVC and use it. I am using both when I devloping reactos.
oiaohm

I will say a few things.

Post by oiaohm »

First Yes I am a linux user.

Number one Mingw(yes it runs under windows) can ship with reactos. Ie reactos should be able to rebuild itself. Third party software for building is not a good idea.

So most critical is Mingw. All other compliers are secound on the list from my point of view.

Lcc and Watcom should be higher up the list than MSVC since cannot be shiped with reactos and Lcc and Watcom can be.

Also you have to be careful not to used mangled .net(this requires the .net frame work).

If you want to talk fast the intel complier is faster in most cases guess what its hates amd hardware at times. At least the Intel complier and Mingw GCC are compad.

C++ being faster is a major issue. We have to options. Number one support the Linux fix dll of C++ lib so its shared between programs loaded less. Basicly C++ programs of GCC are majorly oversized and slowed down due to the complete C++ lib being staticly linked to the executable.

This is a problem we can work around them if you really want to.
bubach

Post by bubach »

gcc is patched to death, old, slow and well.. evil. just thinking of it's asm syntax make me afraid.. :P
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I have also just started to work with MSVC instead of mingw, and will ensure all further code I submit can be built by both compilers.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

ReactOS main compiler will always be gcc, and we need the code compatible betwin gcc and mssvc. When we compiles with msvc we found some mistage and when we compile with gcc we found others. And I love MSVS Debguer and GUI. It help me alot to devloping directdraw for reactos and other nice stuff. I will say use the compiler u like.