Better GUI in ROS 0.3.9

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zydon

Better GUI in ROS 0.3.9

Post by zydon »

Why the Win32 GUI in ROS 0.3.9 is much better and smoother than the current version?

The older GUI seem working better with less memory and the OpenGL software run a lot more faster. The MPlayer also run video without a long delay like in the current GUI version.

Haos
Test Team

Re: Better GUI in ROS 0.3.9

Post by Haos »

I did a quick comparison in vbox 4.1.4 and seen no notfiable difference in speed. What version precisely were you testing for 0.3.9? What was the current version?

If you noticed rendering differenced between those versions, could you screenshot it to point out the issue?

zydon

Post by zydon »

Comparison made only for releases version using Qemu with 128mb RAM under Win XP.

EDIT: I'm using Qemu 0.9.1 with es1370 audio hardware.
Last edited by zydon on Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I doubt QEMU supports SYSENTER or hardware virtualisation. What QEMU version did you use? On which host?

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Wait, wha? I think that's more of a problem in the core then it is the GUI itself. Because ReactOS has that same WIN2K look going on since it's introduction in 0.2.x and uses very little resources as is...
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

zydon wrote:I'm using Qemu 0.9.1 with es1370 audio hardware.
You're using a version of QEMU from 2008? I found a big speed boost going from 0.11 to 0.13, but I seem to be having some trouble running ROS in 0.15 (I haven't tried 0.15.1 yet). Anyway, QEMU has made a lot of progress in the last 3 years. Try using a newer version and see if the problems you're experiencing go away.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Or try using kqemu with your version... increases performance tenfold.

zydon

Post by zydon »

I'm thinking about the GUI compatibilities rather the emulator capabilities. The Qemu version that I used is good enough for me to emulate an old hardware. I could still switch to the vbox 1.6.6 if I want a speed from the real hardware.

It just the previous version GUI seem working more seamlessly than the current version. Just it lack the new updated capabilities. Under 0.3.9 it a blast and fun to throw some of applications to be tested. But in the current version is a bit jerky and at some point, the previously working interfaces seem behave strangely such as missing a menu bar from the form/windows. You could tell, it's a different GUI engine than the 0.3.9 version by it behavior and performances.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It's one that uses less hacks to pretend things work.

zed260

Post by zed260 »

DOSGuy wrote:
zydon wrote:I'm using Qemu 0.9.1 with es1370 audio hardware.
You're using a version of QEMU from 2008? I found a big speed boost going from 0.11 to 0.13, but I seem to be having some trouble running ROS in 0.15 (I haven't tried 0.15.1 yet). Anyway, QEMU has made a lot of progress in the last 3 years. Try using a newer version and see if the problems you're experiencing go away.
ROS runs on qemu latest version here only issue is seems the network support doesnt work like it does in virturalbox (ros still needs lots of work on networking stack it seems)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Yes, I lost networking when I upgraded QEMU. 0.3.13 BSODs on me when I try to surf the web in Firefox, whereas the latest builds as of about two weeks ago allowed me to get on the internet, but my website wasn't rendered properly under FF7. There's definitely been progress since 0.3.13, but it was weird that stuff stopped working when I upgraded QEMU.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

QEMU 0.3.13 likely tweaked the virtual networking card in such a way that it crashed the ROS network stack most likely by emulating a newer or differnt chipset. ROS has developers who are very familiar with the stack and they have come a long way this past year in the number of cards that it supports. I wouldn't worry too much I'm sure its going to be a short term issue before support for the change is added.

As for the GUI I can't see any real change in VBox so I wouldn't worry about it. The cause is likely caused by your use of an older emulator. Your best off just using Virtual Box ROS tends to love it and I use it for most of my app testing as its very reliable. Just wait till explorer is replaced thats when the real fun will begin, The dam thing needs a better image buffer the jumping thing has driven me crazy for several years...
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer