Youtube Critics!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mynameisasquirrel

Youtube Critics!

Post by Mynameisasquirrel »

Last night I stumbled upon a new review for Reactos, by sneekylinux. I sometimes watch his reviews of linuxes (because I like seeing what's new in the OS world.) Anyway, I found some of his comments a bit unfair as he was simply testing an alpha. He gave the presumption that Reactos will never get better and that people should stick to linux. Even though the review had some blue screens, it's still an Alpha. He shouldn't have just told people not to even bother with Reactos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPute7HcJkw

The video comments aren't flattering either.

SomeGuy

Re: Youtube Critics!

Post by SomeGuy »

Meh, they are just spoiled. :P They forget that in the early days of Linux it was "Kernel Panic" left and right. Power off the machine without unmounting the file systems first? - totally hosed, time to re-install. Full of sloppy half-assed code written by bored students, but look where it is today!

And most Linux and Windows applications had the benefit of being compiled and tested on their respective OSes. Any OS instability was worked around before the application was released. No such luck here. ReactOS has to deal with existing applications that do stupid or wrong things and there is nothing else that can be done about.

It's not like you can't BSOD Windows either. It had a dumb bug well in to Windows XP where printing a bunch of backspaces in a command prompt window would cause a BSOD. I guarantee you there are still plenty of instabilities hidden away - but if a developer were to ever encounter one they would work around it so the end user would not see it.

Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

I think they forgot that React OS is that "is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use." :roll:
Stay frosty, Squeaks.

Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Downvoted his video.

I would love to say again...We need our PR team to do some stuff to show what we can do and what we need to do next.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

What is wrong with that video? It just shows the real state of affairs. :(

There are simply too many "bad" kernel functions, like NtRaiseHardError, KeBugCheck, KeBugCheckEx, KiSystemFatalException, KiDisplayBlueScreen, and so on; and they are called from too many places. All it exists supposedly for the sake of compatibility with NT. ROS devs should not slavishly copy Windows internals, they should consciously sacrifice some of compatibility (which, in any case, has not yet been achieved), remove that not very much needed stuff, and the kernel will magically become more stable. :)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

At which point the project loses its entire purpose.

Murmur

Post by Murmur »

Z98 wrote:At which point the project loses its entire purpose.
I do have to agree, if its not compatible with windows but is stable....what the hell is the point.

Mynameisasquirrel

If Reactos is too much like windows, then it becomes Windows. Then viruses, spyware and Windows malfunctions aren't resolved. Reactos needs to find a middle ground and a stable plateau in which to fork from. 100% compatibility may not be realistic, because that would mean that antiviruses and antispyware programs would work as well, as well as most viruses.
Reactos needs to be reactos, in which enough compatibility is secured for many favorite windows applications to function nicely. I'm picturing a similar scenario to Linux and BSD, where linux software is ported to BSD (similarly to how it is now with Reactos and Windows). Open source software for windows can be ported to reactos (that is if it doesn't already work) and average freeware can be tested and compiled into a list. That list can used as a reference to what Reactos does well.

Once DirectX is implemented, people will start testing games with Gusto and who knows, perhaps enough popular software will be functional that Reactos can begin to safely define itself as a popular desktop medium.

Was what I said flawed?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The objective of the project is as complete compatibility with Windows as possible. The project developers are for the most part not trying to create yet another OS that needs to have applications ported to it.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, as long as we touch only some error handling as hto says, I don't see a reason for a compatibility nag. But anyways, if this is the way windows works, then why does windows not bsod so often? This is what we have to check first.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ReactOS will ALWAYS have more bugs than Windows, at least in the foreseeable future, and correcting "all Windows bugs" is illusionary - I doubt MS keeps them for the "fun of it", too.

The eternal "it is alpha, it is alpha" is, however, really not a viable future path and cannot serve as a permanent excuse. I hope this thing advances to 0.5.0 fast enough to survive, as I quite like it. (And I must say that this forum is generally full of illusions and what-ifs, but ACTUALLY, it is now October 2011, with all good and bad conclusions one may draw from this fact.)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Folks, it's harder to copy an operating system than to create a new one. The point wasn't to create a stable operating system that wasn't compatible with any other operating system, but to create an operating system that is 100% compatible with an existing closed-source OS. That being the case, it's amazing that ReactOS is as good as it is.

Yes, development is taking forever, but why look backwards? The more important question is, is the project moving forward? It looks like things are progressing to me. If you want to help the project, identify what needs to be done and try to bring new developers aboard to work on those things. There's nothing wrong with ReactOS that can't be fixed with more manpower. Promote the project on your websites and blogs. Does ReactOS have a Facebook page? Invite all of your nerdy friends to join!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Mynameisasquirrel

You misunderstood my point. I didn't say that Reactos is a new type of OS, it is a new type of OS. Everyone here says it.
Windows gave NTFS a very bad name. What my dream for Reactos (Which I pronounce, Reac-toes) Is for it to rid itself of alot of Microsoft's short comings. And help optimize NTFS and for Reactos to achieve what Windows wouldn't achieve or couldn't achieve. And as a person whose used other OS and Windows, I've developed a checklist of things that could make Microsoft Cry, and Reactos users cheer.

My newest post, which I will make soon. The Reactos suggestions for victory, will have a list of suggestions to improve upon things and add things even Windows didn't have.

Because too many people want Reactos to be the same as Windows, I want it to be better. And it's open source, it can be.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

On what planet does NTFS have a bad name? As a Windows user, it's the most reliable and recoverable file system I've ever used.

I have no problem with ReactOS adding native support for ext2/3/4, or any other functionality that Windows doesn't have, but priority 1 is being Windows-compatible. Let's focus on being as good as Windows before worrying about being better than Windows.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

There is little to add after DOSGuy. Just one thing perhaps - just ignore it.