Virtualization software

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PetruDimitriu

Virtualization software

Post by PetruDimitriu »

For some months ReactOS fails to start in my VirtualBox. Which vritualization software runs the current ReactOS trunk builds?
SomeGuy

Re: Virtualization software

Post by SomeGuy »

The primary supported platforms for ReactOS are VirtualBox, VMWare, and QEMU.

I think VirtualBox is the more popular and is used for automated testing of ReactOS builds. VMWare and QEMU offer some additional debugging facilities.

What version of VirtualBox are you using? I am aware there are some minor issues between different versions of VirtualBox. (I use 3.2.8 and had graphics problems trying to use 4.0.4)

What speed is your computer? I know there is an installation issue with the Gecko MSHTML.dll crashing on slower machines.
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

I'm using VBOX 4.0.6. The setup window freezes then disappears when registering that damn mshtml...
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

How about a log file and maybe a Bug Report?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

PetruDimitriu wrote:I'm using VBOX 4.0.6. The setup window freezes then disappears when registering that damn mshtml...
bug 5857: REGRESSION: heap: ReactOS stuck on mshtml.dll after first reboot
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

This is a blocker for release, so it should hopefully be addressed before the next major release. Apparently this is a "race condition" with the new heap manager, which means it can work fine for some people and bomb out in a variety of ways for other people depending on the speed of your machine, version of emulator, and the direction the wind happens to be blowing for you.

For me it happens to work perfectly on my machine with VirtualBox, but bombs out with a no memory access error under QEMU, and the last CMAKE builds I tried froze at that point.

I think it is safe to say this is a complicated bug to pin down and fix. But here is cheering on the people who are working on it: :D :D :D :D :D